Official Fantasy Football 2012 Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Fantasy Football 2012 Discussion Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:31 pm

How early is too early for Doug Martin?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:17 am

I am starting a serious, in-depth fantasy football league with some pretty cool/different rules. The league will be 12-team head-to-head with fairly standard rosters/scoring. It will be a salary cap league. Auction draft. Bids at draft day will be the cap hit for the players. You will sign players to single or multi-year contracts at that salary after the draft. Keep everyone signed into future years and get one re-sign of an expiring player every other season. Future drafts will essentially be "free agency" -- auction draft for expiring contracts/unsigned players. There will be a separate, five-round rookie draft. Rookies have set contracts and specific rules/restrictions on their use/eligibility. With rookies there will be RFAs, qualifying offers, compensation for offer sheets, and our own version of franchise tags.

This is a very brief description of the league. It will be $50 the first two years as an acknowledgement that there could be a few kinks in the rules. The expectation is that it will be increased to probably $100 for years thereafter as an acknowledgement of the depth of the league and the more-than-normal amount of time that it will likely require of the participants.

The auction draft will be live in my conference room for those in the Pittsburgh area, probably available for video conference (at least phone conference) for those out of town. I think we may need a couple more guys than we currently have, so I wanted to see if any lgpers are interested. Can't promise a spot, but let me know if you think you might be interested and want some further details (finalizing the bylaws right now).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:00 pm

i can keep any combination of these players beginning with a 15th and decreasing with each keeper. who would you keep? note: i am also keeping cam newton for a 7th, may keep vincent jackson for an 8th and fred jackson for a 13th. also note: i do not have a 2nd round pick

demarco murray
demaryius thomas
andy dalton
mikel leshoure
laurent robinson
khalil bell
DHB
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Demarco 15th
Demaryius 14th
Dalton 12th
Leshoure 11th
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:23 am

Keeper question. Keep 3. You can keep players for up to 3 total seasons (so keep for 2 seasons).
I am keeping:

Tom Brady (1st keep)
Calvin Johnson (1st keep)
--
Victor Cruz (1st keep) vs. Antonio Gates (2nd keep)

Standard rules except there are two flex spots and long-yardage scoring plays are worth bonus points.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 am

I'd keep Cruz unlless you think their aren't going to be many quality TE's available. Also if you can flex in a TE in those flex spots, Gates would have more value. My biggest concern with Gates this year is if he will stay healthy after being injured off and on the last two seasons.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:50 pm

I did my free Yahoo draft the other night, and I'm reasonably happy with my lineup...

D Brees
P Rivers

C Johnson
S Jackson
M Bush
S Ridley

G Jennings
AJ Green
P Harvin
D Heyward-Bay
T Smith

A Hernandez
B Celek

J Hanson

Pgh D

Maybe a bit weak at rb depth. I think ridley has potential to be a sleeper pick.

My money league drafts Saturday. I have the 2nd pick, so I'm thinking either Rodgers, or Foster/Rice... I'm tempted to go rb even if Rodgers is there, because there are more top qbs than top rbs. thoughts? Say Foster comes off the board first. Do I take Rodgers, or rice?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:52 pm

Oh oh I will post my team in a second.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:57 pm

STARTING LINE UP

QB: Peyton Manning
RB: Reggie Bush, Mark Ingram
WR: Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, AJ Green
TE: Aaron Hernandez, Kellan Winslow
D/ST: 49ers
K: Alex Henery

BENCH:

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Johnathan Dwyer
WR: Terrell Owens, Jon Baldwin
D/ST: Broncos
K: Neil Rackers.

Thoughts?

Also we have 2 flex positions (RB/WR/TE). Hence why 3 WRs and 2 TEs starting.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:33 am

Rylan wrote:STARTING LINE UP

BENCH:

Thoughts?

I hope to god that's a full PPR league or you are completely hosed with those RBs
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:34 am

Beveridge wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:In my leage we decided to do 1 keeper but it has to be a guy from Round 4 of last years draft on. My choices,

Julio Jones
Marques Colston
Torry Smith
Darren Sproles

Im having a tough time between Jones, Colston and Sproles

Hard question to answer without details like scoring format, where your draft position is, and how many teams.

I would say Colston on limited information because you should be able to draft better value running backs in first couple runs and I'll take a good Drew Brees target over a good Matty Ice target.

Its a normal ppr league. Points for so much yardage/catches/etc. I finished 3rd in the league so im drafting low. I believe 10th out of 12 in the first round.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:40 am

Rylan wrote:STARTING LINE UP

BENCH:

Thoughts?

I'd be worried about the RBs, but you have better WRs than anyone. Was your draft Mega - Fitz - Green - Peyton - Bush - Ingram - Hernandez?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Yea more or less. I find drafting RBs, outside of AP and few others, to be risky business and as such I prefer to get backs who are threats in the passing game. My other pick at back was going to be Jahvid Best but between his injury and stuff I waited too long to pick him and a team's autopick took him. And besides, there will be 1 or 2 break-out backs that no one ever heard of that will have a good year this year.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Manning is ok at qb, but there is an element of risk. You have great starting WR, but no depth. Your RB's are really bad and you also have no depth. You would have been better off skipping over Fitz and getting a legit RB1. Lots of quality at WR... Also, why 2 kickers and D's? You're better off picking up something on waivers for those bye weeks than carrying 2 dead roster spots the entire year, especially with how bad your depth at other positions is. You should win the WR matchup every week, but you are gonna get KILLED at RB and Manning is probably just an average starter at this point.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Yea, you can take a chance on a few RBs in late rounds to break out, but I don't think Bush and Ingram highlight the top of those lists. Both have huge injury concerns and will likely be splitting carries throughout the season. You easily could have passed on Fitz or Green and grabbed a solid starting RB. There is a large drop-off after the top RBs but not one for the top WRs outside of Megatron.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Like I said, most of the running backs worth getting early gobbled up by my second pick, so it was either reach on a back or take BPA. Carries by backs are not important to me either. If he can catch he will be important and with Bush being the best offensive player on the Dolphins he will be a big target. I wanted Sproles instead of Ingram but the pick before I could get Sporles he was taken.

I took the WRs really to block other people who blocked my RB selections. I find RBs to be a thing of the past with the ushering in of the Passing era.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:40 pm

RB's are definitely less important. But you're still probably going to score at least 10 points fewer than your opponent every week at that position. Hopefully your receivers are good enough to make up the difference.

Also, I don't like Fitz in fantasy. He'll produce, but you don't really get value for him as a 2nd or low 3rd rounder anymore.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 pm

I mean outside of Peterson, Foster, Jones-Drew, and Johnson there aren't elite running backs in the NFL.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:46 pm

I generally agree with you Rylan. My disdain for drafting RBs has been well-documented in the LGP ff threads, I think. That said, I like for my top back to be better than what I value Reggie Bush as this year :P Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take a RB with a better (BPA) WR on the board.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Peterson should be a 2nd or 3rd rounder in most drafts. Mjd probably goes in rd 2, as well. Your top 3 are gonna be Foster, rice, and shady. Then you have about 10-15 guys between them and Reggie Bush... You basically have 2 rb4's starting
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:59 pm

It's more important to have an elite QB than an elite RB right now. But I'd say that RB is still more important than WR.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Kraftster wrote:I generally agree with you Rylan. My disdain for drafting RBs has been well-documented in the LGP ff threads, I think. That said, I like for my top back to be better than what I value Reggie Bush as this year :P Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and take a RB with a better (BPA) WR on the board.

I gambled on a couple picks and missed out. I wanted Darren McFadden but he was taken a couple of picks before my AJ Green pick as was AP. Frank Gore, Jamaal Charles, Michael Turner and Trent Richardson were all taken between my 3rd Pick and 4th round pick. Frank Gore is going to lose a lot of carries this year. Jamaal Charles was a 1 year wonder. Michael Turner is so inconsistent that I didn't see him as worth a 3rd and Trent Richardson was going to be my 4th rounder but he was taken directly in front of me.

And with the value of having 3 number 1 WRs versus an average RB seems like a wash to me. I agree my RBs are atrocious. But I generally do not have the same RBs at the end of the season that I did at the beginning.

And besides, Peyton Hillis and Johnathan Stewart burned me so badly last year that I don't even care about RBs anymore haha.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:01 pm

Turner isn't a bad pick because he can be handcuffed easier without reaching in a pick
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:52 pm

5 point pa td, 20 pa yd per point. Everything else standard. 2 WR 2 RB and a flex.

Thoughts?

QB: stafford, Fitzpatrick
RB: Bradshaw, Sproles, (Redman, Ridley)
WR: Calvin, Harvin, (Stevie Johnson, Heyward-Bey)
TE: Jared Cook
K Gould
D: Philly
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:5 point pa td, 20 pa yd per point. Everything else standard. 2 WR 2 RB and a flex.

Thoughts?

QB: stafford, Fitzpatrick
RB: Bradshaw, Sproles, (Redman, Ridley)
WR: Calvin, Harvin, (Stevie Johnson, Heyward-Bey)
TE: Jared Cook
K Gould
D: Philly

not too bad. RB is a bit weak, but not enough to really hurt you. i love percy harvin in fantasy football. ridley is my personal sleeper, and great as at least a rb4. your stafford to megatron plays will be great on the weeks they connect, but you might be screwed on the weeks they don't. should be a playoff team either way.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR