Official Fantasy Football 2012 Discussion Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official Fantasy Football 2012 Discussion Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:06 pm

Wow real strong
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Just had my auction to start our big keeper league. No rookies in this draft. Pretty happy with my overall team, although I don't really "like" the particular players I got. I went young on my bench because we can sign guys for up to 4 years, so some of my guys should be good bargains going forward. $1000 pool to work with, but have to leave a bit for buyouts and some other stuff.

Matt Stafford - $210
Marshawn Lynch - $131
Sjax - $126
Roddy White - $136
Wes Welker - $121
Vjax - $79
Brandon Pettigrew - $25
Titus Young - $27
Cincinnati D/ST - $1
Bironas - $1
---
Ben Tate - $35
Mark Ingram - $23
Emmanuel Sanders - $7
Randall Cobb - $15
Javhid Best - $12
Mike Goodson - $2
Martellus Bennet - $7
Tim Tebow - $1

I don't really care for Lynch, Welker, and VJax, but I thought they were very good buys at the price I got them at.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby opie22002 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:51 pm

I play in a 14 team league and was lucky enough to get the 1st pick. I can't decide between taking Aaron Rodgers (the safest pick) and the top RB who I think is Ray Rice. RB is a thin position and by the time the draft gets back to me at #28, I'll probably be stuck with a weak choice. What do you guys think?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:55 pm

i picked 2nd in a 12 team league today, and i waited until the 6th round to take matt ryan. if you miss out on one of the big 4 QB's, just square away your 2 RB's and at least 2 WR's. you might give up like 3 or 4 pts vs opponent at QB, but you'll more than make that up with strong showings at the other positions.

i think you go RB, and rice is a fine choice. i went foster, but rice could end up being better.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:01 pm

opie22002 wrote:I play in a 14 team league and was lucky enough to get the 1st pick. I can't decide between taking Aaron Rodgers (the safest pick) and the top RB who I think is Ray Rice. RB is a thin position and by the time the draft gets back to me at #28, I'll probably be stuck with a weak choice. What do you guys think?

I have the first in a 12 team league so I'm in a similar position. IMO, the best choice is to take the top RB (Foster for me). You'll be able to get a good QB in the fifth round or later. All the good RBs will be snatched up by the third round probably. If you can get the top RB, you'll be able to grab a top WR (a tier below CJ and the like) and a decent number 2 RB. You can even grab a QB if there is one there you like. I just think taking a RB first will give you a better, more balanced team than taking Rodgers would.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:07 pm

matt ryan and jay cutler should both be available in the 5th or 6th round, in case everyone goes QB happy early. You can also hope that either manning, or someone else in that 2nd tier of QBs falls to you at the end of the 2nd/beginning of the 3rd when it snakes back around. I stilll say you take 2 RBs and 2 WR in your 1st 4 picks, and you should be able to get a decent starter at QB (ryan, rivers, cutler, bRoeth, shaub, etc...) and like i said earlier, have a huge advantage every week when your RB2 is better than half the teams' RB1.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:16 pm

I'd defintely go your number 1 rb if had 1 overall
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:25 pm

I think I'd probably take Rodgers #1 in any standard leagues.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 pm

Kraftster wrote:I think I'd probably take Rodgers #1 in any standard leagues.

Just looked at 12 team mock draft

Romo is going 6th round... rbs going in 6th round are:greene, spiller, redmann, etc..
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:41 pm

yeah, once the top batch of qb's go off the board, it allows you to focus on the rest of your lineup because you don't need to think about using a pick on a starting QB until other people start thinking about backups.

now, if you picked at the end of the 1st round, you can probably go with brees, eli, stafford, etc... and pick up a RB like cj2k or mcfadden and get value there after the draft snakes back. but i definitely think that if you have one of the 1st 3 picks, you go foster, rice, or mccoy.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:53 pm

WR is really deep this year. I think I'd prefer something like
1. Rodgers
24. Lynch/Fjax/Mathews
25. Lynch/Fjax/Mathews
48. Austin/Vjax
49. Gates
to
1. Rice/Foster/McCoy
24. Lynch/Fjax/Mathews
25. White/Marshall
48. Austin/Vjax
49. Ryan/Romo
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:00 pm

The problem is that you probably don't get Stafford or Newton with your second pick if you go RB first. So then you basically have to wait until the 48/49 turn to grab Ryan/Romo. You could way overreach for Eli or Vick at 24/25 potentially, but that seems like a bad idea. In the end, you're looking at the difference between Rodgers and Ryan/Romo vs. the difference between Rice/Foster/McCoy and the RB available at 25. The Rodgers difference will be greater.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:05 pm

what difference does it make how long you wait to take a qb, though? if you miss out on the top guys, there is literally no rush to even go QB until at the earliest the 6th or 7th round. You know people aren't going to go for a backup QB until they at least have all their RBs and WRs filled. you can use the early picks to gain advantages in other positions, especially where there are so few RB's who not only get TD's, but are feature backs who also get yards out of the back field. If you wait until late in the 2nd round/beginning of the 3rd round to get a RB, i just think there isn't much talent left there, and you'll end up reaching on a guy who should be a RB2.

you only NEED one qb each week, so depth isn't that big an issue. but since you need to play 2 RBs, it's fairly important that at least one of them be good.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:06 pm

I'm going to do a couple mocks, taking Foster first in one and Rodgers in the other. I'll see what team I like the look of more.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Froggy wrote:what difference does it make how long you wait to take a qb, though? if you miss out on the top guys, there is literally no rush to even go QB until at the earliest the 6th or 7th round. You know people aren't going to go for a backup QB until they at least have all their RBs and WRs filled. you can use the early picks to gain advantages in other positions, especially where there are so few RB's who not only get TD's, but are feature backs who also get yards out of the back field. If you wait until late in the 2nd round/beginning of the 3rd round to get a RB, i just think there isn't much talent left there, and you'll end up reaching on a guy who should be a RB2.

you only NEED one qb each week, so depth isn't that big an issue. but since you need to play 2 RBs, it's fairly important that at least one of them be good.

There's something to be said for the fact that the QB alternatives in the 6th round (could realistically end up being Peyton Manning or Philip Rivers) are more guaranteed to get you points than the alternative running backs that would be targeted even at the end of round 2/beginning of round 3. That said, the same is true of the consistency/more guaranteed production of the top 3 qbs as compared with the top 3 rbs.

I think the difference between Rodgers and the ho hum just wait until the 6th QB options is being underrated. That difference last year was about 160 points in a standard league. That's the same difference as Rice (last year's #1 RB) and the 26th RB.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 am

I finished up a couple mocks and went two pretty drastically different directions. Which team do you guys think is better? Obviously the same exact players won't be there in my real draft but something similar probably will be.

It's a 12 team league, starting a QB, two RBs, three WRs, and a TE, D, and K. Standard scoring and half a PPR.

Spoiler:
Team 1:

QB: Cutler
RB: Foster, Reggie Bush, Blount
WR: AJ Green, Welker, Desean Jackson, Brandon Lloyd
TE: Hernandez

Team 2:

QB: Newton
RB: Foster, AP, David Wilson
WR: Lloyd, Harvin, Meachem
TE: Hernandez

I quit both drafts early because I didn't feel like sitting around anymore. The first team obviously has a huge advantage at receiver but does that make up for being so far behind at QB and the second RB spot? The thing that sucks with the first pick is that if you don't take a RB with your second/third pick, you're going to end up with someone like Bush as your #2. But if you don't take a WR there, then you end up with Lloyd and Harvin as your top receivers.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:23 am

ok, look at it this way. i'm just looking at rb's and qb's here. if you use your first pico on rogers, someone like steven jackson was available as an RB2 in both leagues, so he would be my RB1 instead of foster. keeping everything the same, someone like reggie bush gets bumped up the depth chart to rb2 instead of rb3.

so what we're really looking at here is aaron rogers' value over matt ryan vs arian foster's value over reggie bush...

just using projections, and based on my league's scoring, rogers projects to have about 100 more points than ryan this season. HOWEVER, foster projects to have about 150 more points than reggie bush.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:21 am

Well, I don't think its really reasonable to keep everything else the same. I mentioned the WR depth this year as one of the big reasons that I feel Rodgers is the correct choice -- meaning, I think its doable to go Rodgers-RB-RB to start the draft. So, I'm guessing Bush was the RB taken around the fifth round (since his ADP is around 50-60). Well, naturally if you go Rodgers over Foster, your needs change and you may need to go QB-RB-RB, which gets you two of the Lynch/Mathews/Jackson/Jackson/Turner crowd. If its Foster-Jackson-WR-Bush-TE-Ryan/Peyton, I think the alternative looks like Rodgers-Jackson-RB-WR-WR/TE-WR/TE.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:23 am

Froggy wrote:OK... League #2...

Ryan
Cutler

Foster
S. Jackson
R. Bush
Ridley

J. Jones
Jennings
Marshall
Heyward Bay
Sanders

Pettigrew
Tamme

Janikowski
Phi D

How many teams / what scoring?

Your team looks really good though
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:26 am

Does anyone think all this WR depth I have in my PPR keeper league kills my 3 killer wr's value

Wes, Jennings, Marshall.. I have 3 legit #1 guys (and Wes is a MONSTER in PPR), but maybe that won't matter as much as I thought because of the crazy amount of good wrs...
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 am

IanMoran wrote:
Froggy wrote:OK... League #2...

Ryan
Cutler

Foster
S. Jackson
R. Bush
Ridley

J. Jones
Jennings
Marshall
Heyward Bay
Sanders

Pettigrew
Tamme

Janikowski
Phi D

How many teams / what scoring?

Your team looks really good though

12 teams, 4 pts passing TD, 6 pt rushing or receiving TD. 5 pt bonus for 300 passing and 100 rushing/receiving.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 am

That's an awesome team for a 4 pt passing TD league.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:59 am

Kraftster wrote:That's an awesome team for a 4 pt passing TD league.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with it. This is my money league, too. Top 3 teams get money, winner gets $300. I'd be shocked if I didn't at least finish top 3.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:23 am

standard 10 team league draft last night. Didn't look at anything before draft, no idea how my team is:

Eli, Freeman
Foster, Forte, K. Smith, Tate, Dion Lewis
R. White, J. Nelson, DeSean Jackson, S. Holmes, M. Manningham
Gates
Texans
Hartley
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:27 am

Nice. How the hell did you get Foster and Forte?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR