2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:03 pm

I feel like Goodell is just trolling us and seeing how far he can go before someone stops him.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,642
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Grunthy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:54 pm

They get rid of kickoffs, i bet the nfl loses quite a few fans.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,794
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby bhaw on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:58 pm

I don't. What else is the average American dude going to do on a Sunday early afternoon? There may be some slight loss of interest but not enough to register anything meaningful.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Grunthy on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 am

bhaw wrote:I don't. What else is the average American dude going to do on a Sunday early afternoon? There may be some slight loss of interest but not enough to register anything meaningful.


Saturday will be the big football day as college football will start to greatly pass the nfl in popularity. at least i believe.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,794
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:04 am

Grunthy wrote:
bhaw wrote:I don't. What else is the average American dude going to do on a Sunday early afternoon? There may be some slight loss of interest but not enough to register anything meaningful.


Saturday will be the big football day as college football will start to greatly pass the nfl in popularity. at least i believe.


Maybe, but I don't see it. Even if, you still have all the time after the college season. And unless you are a fan of an SEC team, why bother? Everything is set up for them to be in the top 2, regardless.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,002
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:07 am

bhaw wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
bhaw wrote:I don't. What else is the average American dude going to do on a Sunday early afternoon? There may be some slight loss of interest but not enough to register anything meaningful.


Saturday will be the big football day as college football will start to greatly pass the nfl in popularity. at least i believe.


Maybe, but I don't see it. Even if, you still have all the time after the college season. And unless you are a fan of an SEC team, why bother? Everything is set up for them to be in the top 2, regardless.


Doesn't stop schools like OSU, PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon etc. from selling out stadiums and getting games on national TV.

Though I will agree, it is a regional thing. The ratings will never be as high as NFL games.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,060
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby shmenguin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:02 am

College football is trending towards the opposite direction of the NFL. And not in a good way. There's no chance it will ever threaten the pro league.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,585
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:47 am

This rule change is really dumb but it won't keep from watching. What makes me change the channel though is the number of commercial breaks they squeeze into the games.

Game opening kickoff
Commercial
Three and out and punt
commercial
Player injured on 2nd down
Commercial
3rd down play is a debatable touchdown
Commercial
Touchdown is good and extra point is kicked
Commercial
Kickoff
Commercial
Timeout called by defense on 2nd down
Commercial
End of the first quarter
Commercial
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,186
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby MWB on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:54 am

shmenguin wrote:College football is trending towards the opposite direction of the NFL. And not in a good way. There's no chance it will ever threaten the pro league.


I agree. And this rule change wouldn't have a huge impact. 47% of knockoffs are now touchbacks. Only 9% are returned for touchdowns. Instead of having a play where nearly half the time nothing happens you'd have a punt (which is more likely to result in a TD return than a kickoff) or you'd have another dramatic offensive play. This article goes over some of the stats.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... o&id=52047
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,725
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:51 am

MWB wrote:
shmenguin wrote:College football is trending towards the opposite direction of the NFL. And not in a good way. There's no chance it will ever threaten the pro league.


I agree. And this rule change wouldn't have a huge impact. 47% of knockoffs are now touchbacks. Only 9% are returned for touchdowns. Instead of having a play where nearly half the time nothing happens you'd have a punt (which is more likely to result in a TD return than a kickoff) or you'd have another dramatic offensive play. This article goes over some of the stats.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... o&id=52047


Yeah, i'm pretty sure they made that rule last year just so they could transition to this. Even at the time everyone was commenting on how they may as well take the kickoff away. They just decided to give the ball to a different team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,662
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Terrell Suggs out today.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,186
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Froggy on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:09 pm

the ravens defense is so bad
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,650
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:11 pm

Go NFC East particularly Boys and Skins.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,094
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby PghSkins on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:14 pm

RG3

RG3

RG3

RG3
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,543
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby PghSkins on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:14 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Go NFC East particularly Boys and Skins.


GO BENGALS
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,543
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby blackjack68 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:30 pm

PghSkins wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Go NFC East particularly Boys and Skins.


GO BENGALS


Oh shush, I'm rooting for your team today.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,094
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby columbia on Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm in the Jacksonville market, so getting the chance to see the Jets lulz it up again this week.

They are just an awful team.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,732
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Froggy on Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:49 pm

flacco has zero pocket awareness
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,650
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:35 pm

"The streak is over! The streak is over! The streak is over! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!" from the other room. LOL.

I can't stand the Eagles, most of their fans (notable exceptions), and just about everything else about them, but good for Andy Reid. I've been rooting for him and him only--makes no sense, I know. He seems, to me, to be a nice man, he's been through a lot this year, and he knows he's going to be canned after this season.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,842
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby PghSkins on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:05 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO

#pleasebeOKRG3
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,543
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Kaizer on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Image
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,375
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby MWB on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 pm

PghSkins wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO

#pleasebeOKRG3
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,725
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Another stellar game from Drew Brees tonight
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,495
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Godric on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:26 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Another stellar game from Drew Brees tonight


My most hated players in the NFL list looks something like this:

1. Philip Rivers
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Terrel Suggs
5. Clay Mathews
6. Wes Welker
7. Mark Sanchez
8. Tim Tebow

:pop:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby JS© on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Image
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,418
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cagsjr724, DudeMan2766, stopper40 and 6 guests


e-mail