2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby pittsports87 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:38 pm

bhaw wrote:1 of those attempts was from Skelton.

Who still averaged more yards per carry than Stephens Howling with his 1 yard.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 pm

I mean, this is really just poor to see. You have a quarterback that clearly can't play at this level, no command of the offense, doesn't get any confidence from his teammates, doesn't have the skills to sit back there and pass. Picked up some stats in garbage time, but just isn't good enough to play at this level...and frankly, whatever level is below this, I don't think he'd stand out there either. His footwork is poor, his reads are poor, if it's not there on the first look he's panicked and just stares down his first option and when you're playing a team like San Francisco, they're gonna see that right away. And above all, he can't throw the football...it's not even a case of "all arm, no head" like Josh Freeman in Tampa Bay...you got a no arm, no head, no heart, no nothing situation there...and I saw the rookie they have play for SDSU, Lindley or whatever...he couldn't hit a tree if he was standing in the rainforest...

I mean, this is a really good way to get somebody hurt. You got a quarterback that is just lining his receivers up for the slaughter and then you have an offensive line that can't block, running backs that can't block, even the fullback just misses blocking assignments all over, the current left tackle makes Levi Brown look like Tarik Glenn...and even a simple stunt is enough to throw the whole line into confusion and someone comes through untouched...I've never seen a team lineup two tight ends in the back field to help with pass protection like that before...between the piss poor blocking and the brutal quarterback, the Cardinals are a danger to themselves, they're gonna get somebody seriously hurt with this combination...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:01 am

Kevin Kolb better get healthy soon. He was playing great to start the year. Got the team off to a 4-0 start (was 4-1 as a starter) and the team is 0-3 since he went out.

Not counting the 2nd loss for Kolb. He went out when the team was down 3 but he was driving and made 2 good plays before Skelton came in. Skelton completed 1 pass for 17 yards but was 1/6 on the drive and finished the game 2/10 for 45 yards and the interception that lead to Buffalo's game winning field goal.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:24 am

Good solid road win for the 49ers last night.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 am

Still have no idea how the Cardinals beat the Pats at Foxboro. They are a terrible team, 4-0 start or not. They'll finish 6-10.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fast B on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 am

mikey287 wrote:I mean, this is really just poor to see. You have a quarterback that clearly can't play at this level, no command of the offense, doesn't get any confidence from his teammates, doesn't have the skills to sit back there and pass. Picked up some stats in garbage time, but just isn't good enough to play at this level...and frankly, whatever level is below this, I don't think he'd stand out there either. His footwork is poor, his reads are poor, if it's not there on the first look he's panicked and just stares down his first option and when you're playing a team like San Francisco, they're gonna see that right away. And above all, he can't throw the football...it's not even a case of "all arm, no head" like Josh Freeman in Tampa Bay...you got a no arm, no head, no heart, no nothing situation there...and I saw the rookie they have play for SDSU, Lindley or whatever...he couldn't hit a tree if he was standing in the rainforest...

I mean, this is a really good way to get somebody hurt. You got a quarterback that is just lining his receivers up for the slaughter and then you have an offensive line that can't block, running backs that can't block, even the fullback just misses blocking assignments all over, the current left tackle makes Levi Brown look like Tarik Glenn...and even a simple stunt is enough to throw the whole line into confusion and someone comes through untouched...I've never seen a team lineup two tight ends in the back field to help with pass protection like that before...between the piss poor blocking and the brutal quarterback, the Cardinals are a danger to themselves, they're gonna get somebody seriously hurt with this combination...

Mostly I feel bad for Larry Fitzgerald.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:05 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/31/olympic-stadium-emerges-as-possible-location-for-nfl-in-london/

I, along with nearly everyone who isn't an NFL owner, hate all this London crap. I wait for it to just go away, but it seems like the idea just progresses further and further. One thing that seems to be left out of any conversation about the NFL in London is the players. I saw Teddy Bruschi talking about this before the season started, but it still largely ignored. Players don't want to live in London. Players don't want to play in London. Free agents aren't going to sign to play in London. Draft picks with leverage are going to Eli Manning their way out of going to London. If the NFL ever follows through with this ridiculous idea, the London Silly Nannies are going to be a scrub team filled with scrub players trying to hang on to their dying NFL careers. After a couple years of a watching a crap team maybe then the idea of the NFL in London will finally die.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 pm

I can just see every player that appears to be a 1st/second round pick telling London before the draft that under no circumstances will they sign there.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:If the NFL ever follows through with this ridiculous idea, the London Silly Nannies are going to be a scrub team filled with scrub players trying to hang on to their dying NFL careers. After a couple years of a watching a crap team maybe then the idea of the NFL in London will finally die.

I can see the Sillie Nannies being former first round busts, some average players who get overpaid, and a few long-time vets trying to milk a London vacation at the end of their career.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:28 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/31/olympic-stadium-emerges-as-possible-location-for-nfl-in-london/

I, along with nearly everyone who isn't an NFL owner, hate all this London crap. I wait for it to just go away, but it seems like the idea just progresses further and further. One thing that seems to be left out of any conversation about the NFL in London is the players. I saw Teddy Bruschi talking about this before the season started, but it still largely ignored. Players don't want to live in London. Players don't want to play in London. Free agents aren't going to sign to play in London. Draft picks with leverage are going to Eli Manning their way out of going to London. If the NFL ever follows through with this ridiculous idea, the London Silly Nannies are going to be a scrub team filled with scrub players trying to hang on to their dying NFL careers. After a couple years of a watching a crap team maybe then the idea of the NFL in London will finally die.

this is another reason why the nfl is the new general motors. if the nfl isnt careful, its going to take itself from the top of the heap, like GM once was, and turn itself into a laughingstock.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:12 pm

JS© wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:If the NFL ever follows through with this ridiculous idea, the London Silly Nannies are going to be a scrub team filled with scrub players trying to hang on to their dying NFL careers. After a couple years of a watching a crap team maybe then the idea of the NFL in London will finally die.

I can see the Sillie Nannies being former first round busts, some average players who get overpaid, and a few long-time vets trying to milk a London vacation at the end of their career.

Even in the case of average players being overpaid, they would have to get overpaid a ton. The cost of living in London is even higher than New York. Players could be overpaid by a smaller amount anywhere in the US and make out better than they would in London. The cap space doesn't exist for them to be able to overpay players enough. Silly Nannies for a million or Cincy for $800,000? The entire idea is stupid.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:31 pm

JS© wrote:I can see the Sillie Nannies being former first round busts, some average players who get overpaid, and a few long-time vets trying to milk a London vacation at the end of their career.

This sounds disturbingly similar to the pittsburgh pirates.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Somewhere, Ryan Leaf waits by a phone that, even still, won't ring.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:11 pm

A good excuse to not sign with them is saying that you don't have a passport...that'll limit their draft pool...

What a horrid idea...work on a team in Toronto before you go international the wrong way...that's terrible travel, they could never be on Monday Night Football because it wouldn't end until like 5 am eastern, just brutal...eight time zone difference for the Niners, Seahawks, Chargers, etc. from the London team. Eight games in London would be hard enough to recover from, but the London team would have to go on 3-week long road trips on another contient just to have a chance...bleh...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:18 pm

seems like a slam dunk atrocious idea

it will take a while, but at some point the jig will be up with the NFL. the league is trending in the wrong direction.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Not sure if it was last weeks SI, or the one that came out the week the normal ref's returned, I'll look for the link, but Phil Taylor had a good article in it how the NFL used to just be a social drinker, and get buzzed from time to time, now the NFL is a full blown drunk (on its own power) and needs an intervention. (From doing stupid stuff like replacement refs and this london idea) and has this whole thing how the people who cared for it most (fans) want it to get some help, but its so blind drunk on itself pretty soon its loved ones may just give up and turn their backs on it if NFL doesnt get itself some help. Talked about how PSLs were a gateway drug to wanting an 18 game season, etc. It was kind of funny but all true
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:07 pm

I haven't seen any indication that the NFL is in any danger of people turning their back on it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 pm

yeah i'm using fantasy football as a way to judge interest and it's ridiculous how many more people are playing than even 5 years ago. i wasn't sure where anyone got the idea that it's fading.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 pm

I don't think replacement refs was necessarily a bad idea on the league's part.

Would you rather not have had football until the refs' lockout was settled?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:56 pm

Happt 46th birthday, Saints.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't think replacement refs was necessarily a bad idea on the league's part.

It wasn't a lockout it was a strike and the owners should have just paid them in the first place
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Godric wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I don't think replacement refs was necessarily a bad idea on the league's part.

It wasn't a lockout it was a strike and the owners should have just paid them in the first place

There's just as many articles saying it was a lockout as there are saying it was a strike.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:00 pm

I believe it was actually a lockout...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:38 pm

Somebody please relegate the Kansas City Chiefs to the CFL

[PG] and bring up the Hamilton Tiger-Cats [/PG]
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 pm

P_G always amused me.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR