2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Froggy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 am

Yeah, I don't think that Flacco was consciously trying to insult anyone with mental disabilities, just like I don't think people who say things like "I hated that movie. It was gay" intend to associate the word "gay" with dumb stuff they don't like. the offense is in the connotation.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,084
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:06 am

calling something retarded is offensive. it's not really up to you to decide that it isn't
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,101
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:09 am

shmenguin wrote:calling something retarded is offensive. it's not really up to you to decide that it isn't


Hence why I was formulating an opinion, and not claiming that my viewpoint is undeniably correct. It's not really up to you to decide that calling something retarded is offensive, either.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,573
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby skullman80 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:12 am

This thread has gone retarded.

:-) :scared: :P :wink:
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,853
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am

calling something "retarded" is, by definition, "slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress"
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,003
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 am

Flacco is somewhat of an expert on the subject... His fanbase meets that description completely. :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Froggy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25 am

canaan wrote:calling something "retarded" is, by definition, "slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress"


And how can a superbowl in NY be "retarded" in that context?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,084
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:26 am

I guess it's just that some things are intuitively offensive. When we use words like "gay" and "retarded" negatively we probably aren't trying to insult people, but it is offensive. I think it can be a slip of the tongue in a lot of cases, but it's better to try and avoid word choices like that, there's no reason to not make a little effort to not be insensitive.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,526
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 am

Froggy wrote:
canaan wrote:calling something "retarded" is, by definition, "slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress"


And how can a superbowl in NY be "retarded" in that context?

there is an understood "people that want" a superbowl in this instance, in my opinion. he, by definition, doesnt need to be saying that those people have development issues, but could simply and more appropriately be saying that those people are slowed in their academic progress; stupid.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,003
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Froggy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 am

Troy Loney wrote:I guess it's just that some things are intuitively offensive. When we use words like "gay" and "retarded" negatively we probably aren't trying to insult people, but it is offensive. I think it can be a slip of the tongue in a lot of cases, but it's better to try and avoid word choices like that, there's no reason to not make a little effort to not be insensitive.

Yeah, this nails it
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,084
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am

It's a generational thing... Meh
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:calling something retarded is offensive. it's not really up to you to decide that it isn't


Hence why I was formulating an opinion, and not claiming that my viewpoint is undeniably correct. It's not really up to you to decide that calling something retarded is offensive, either.


you're right. it's not up to me. hence, i'm not the origin of this idea. it's the other 90% of society
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,101
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 am

Being told what you can and cannot say is beyond stupid.


Obvious omissions to death threats and the like apply.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,391
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 am

saying things that are overtly offensive because your vocabulary is too limited to come up with a more appropriate word is beyond stupid
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,539
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 am

Froggy wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:I guess it's just that some things are intuitively offensive. When we use words like "gay" and "retarded" negatively we probably aren't trying to insult people, but it is offensive. I think it can be a slip of the tongue in a lot of cases, but it's better to try and avoid word choices like that, there's no reason to not make a little effort to not be insensitive.

Yeah, this nails it



I meant aren't intuitively insensitive.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,526
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:50 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:saying things that are overtly offensive because your vocabulary is too limited to come up with a more appropriate word is beyond stupid

Everything is becoming overtly offensive. Get over it and move on. Flacco wasn't talking about people with disabilities, the kid down the street was not calling his friend a homosexual, the other kid down the street used a racially insensitive term to say hi to his friend. All of them are monsters.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,391
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:56 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:saying things that are overtly offensive because your vocabulary is too limited to come up with a more appropriate word is beyond stupid

Everything is becoming overtly offensive. Get over it and move on. Flacco wasn't talking about people with disabilities, the kid down the street was not calling his friend a homosexual, the other kid down the street used a racially insensitive term to say hi to his friend. All of them are monsters.


Your post is just screaming an inability to see things in another perspective than your own. I'm assuming your not a minority and there aren't words that describe you that people frequently use with a negative connotation.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,526
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:00 am

just because you're not offended by something doesn't mean it's not offensive. i'm not personally offended by any of this, but i'm a white, anglo, christian-raised male with no disabilities. i'm not exactly the target audience. but i do understand that this stuff can be a sensitive issue for other people - and rightfully so.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,101
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Froggy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:02 am

I'm sure that the mother of a child with down's syndrome or autism might take a greater offense at words like "retarded" being casually thrown around, for example.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,084
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Rylan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:04 am

Froggy wrote:I'm sure that the mother of a child with down's syndrome or autism might take a greater offense at words like "retarded" being casually thrown around, for example.


As the brother to a person with down syndrome I don't use it, but it doesn't bother me if others do.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,838
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:05 am

Yes I understand it can be offensive to people. I do believe it is a big problem that everything is becoming offensive. I don't use the terms described but I don't get offended either if I hear them.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,391
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:07 am

used the wrong way, words like "gay" and "retarded" have been offensive for decades. this isn't "becoming" anything. it's been established for longer than you've been alive.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,101
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 am

Rylan wrote:
Froggy wrote:I'm sure that the mother of a child with down's syndrome or autism might take a greater offense at words like "retarded" being casually thrown around, for example.


As the brother to a person with down syndrome I don't use it, but it doesn't bother me if others do.


that word was a big no-no in my house growing up because of some family history. i don't get personally offended by it, but maybe my exposure to someone who does has been helpful in me understanding the ramifications of using it a certain way.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,101
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Rylan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:16 am

shmenguin wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Froggy wrote:I'm sure that the mother of a child with down's syndrome or autism might take a greater offense at words like "retarded" being casually thrown around, for example.


As the brother to a person with down syndrome I don't use it, but it doesn't bother me if others do.


that word was a big no-no in my house growing up because of some family history. i don't get personally offended by it, but maybe my exposure to someone who does has been helpful in me understanding the ramifications of using it a certain way.


Completely agree.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,838
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: 2012-13 NFL thread (non-Steelers edition)

Postby Froggy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:20 am

Back on topic...

I'm actually surprised at how little I've heard about the superbowl. I haven't been actively avoiding it or anything. It just seems like less of a big game buzz here in Baltimore than I would have expected
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,084
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DudeMan2766, Eismann, Orlando Penguin, SolidSnake and 5 guests

e-mail