DSLR Camera help

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: DSLR Camera help

Postby canaan on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:09 am

Seconded
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:31 pm

mac5155 wrote:I went with a lowepro hatchback backpack case. I liked it cause the opening for the camera was against my back, and there were basically 2 bags in 1.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008O8EGO ... item_image

Why would you want camera against your back? Seems like a pain to pull it out to use
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I went with a lowepro hatchback backpack case. I liked it cause the opening for the camera was against my back, and there were basically 2 bags in 1.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008O8EGO ... item_image

Why would you want camera against your back? Seems like a pain to pull it out to use

Swung it around your arm and it's right there to access. I watched the video demo on BHPhotoVideo and it looked super convenient
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:43 am

I found a refurbished Canon 12.2 Megapixel EOS Rebel T3 for $250 and free shipping from Sears. My wife is not an avid photographer, and really just wants a camera for taking photos of our daughter. She's wanted a DSLR for a while, but I can't justify getting $500+ deep in a hobby I'm not sure will last. I figure if she really enjoys the DSLR and wants to upgrade, we can do that in a year or two. Is my line of thinking stable on this?

http://www.searsoutlet.com/12-2-Megapixel-EOS-Rebel-T3-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-18-55mm-Lens/d/product_details.jsp?md=ct_md&cid=1495&pn=1&ps=24&pid=79474&mode=buyUsedOnly&itemSelectionType=all#productReviews/d/reviews?partNum=00353399000&pageNum=1&sortBy=1&avgRat=100.0
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:49 am

i use the t3 and its been perfectly suitable for my needs as a beginner. my thinking was the the same as well that i can grow in to a different camera as i learn. i have gotten pretty familiar with it and frankly dont have a need to upgrade/change. id recommend.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:02 am

Defence21 wrote:I found a refurbished Canon 12.2 Megapixel EOS Rebel T3 for $250 and free shipping from Sears. My wife is not an avid photographer, and really just wants a camera for taking photos of our daughter. She's wanted a DSLR for a while, but I can't justify getting $500+ deep in a hobby I'm not sure will last. I figure if she really enjoys the DSLR and wants to upgrade, we can do that in a year or two. Is my line of thinking stable on this?

http://www.searsoutlet.com/12-2-Megapixel-EOS-Rebel-T3-Digital-SLR-Camera-with-18-55mm-Lens/d/product_details.jsp?md=ct_md&cid=1495&pn=1&ps=24&pid=79474&mode=buyUsedOnly&itemSelectionType=all#productReviews/d/reviews?partNum=00353399000&pageNum=1&sortBy=1&avgRat=100.0

you have to do store pickup? the prices vary and the distance to the store might be a little gross.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:23 am

canaan wrote:
Defence21 wrote:I found a refurbished Canon 12.2 Megapixel EOS Rebel T3 for $250 and free shipping from Sears. My wife is not an avid photographer, and really just wants a camera for taking photos of our daughter. She's wanted a DSLR for a while, but I can't justify getting $500+ deep in a hobby I'm not sure will last. I figure if she really enjoys the DSLR and wants to upgrade, we can do that in a year or two. Is my line of thinking stable on this?

you have to do store pickup? the prices vary and the distance to the store might be a little gross.

Nice catch! That rules out that idea. At $250, plus warranty, that would have put me at $350, which is still cheaper than most. Anyone have any "leads" on a discount somewhere?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:55 am

Here are two more refurbished cameras I've found. Both come with free shipping and limited warranties. Price is exactly as listed.

Adorma.com - $339 - http://www.adorama.com/ICAT3KR.html
BuyDig.com - $389 - http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx ... b=descript

At $339, I'm a happy camper. At $389, I start to wonder if it would be wise just to buy a lower end one brand new. Thoughts?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 pm

Okay - so here is a technique question I have. Just trying to learn.

I've got a 50mm 1.8 lens (that canon $100 lens) I was using shooting pics of friends at a wedding this weekend. (the movies I took were great with the low aperture and focus, photos - not so much) Needed to use the 1.8 for the low light and didn't want to use flash because nobody could keep their eyes open.

The problem was the lights were screwing up the autofocus to the point where I could never take a shot because it would continue to attempt to autofocus. I switched to manual, but it's damn near impossible in low light to know if you are focused or not on the subject.

So I'm at a loss what to do at this point, I don't know if I should have went back to the kit lens for the stabilization or if there is a nice way to manually focus quickly and accurately.

I guess what I could do is set my camera to keep taking shots as I hold in the button, and slowly move the focus ring as I do that so to be sure Im going to eventually get "something" in focus.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:51 pm

your camera should have a single point focus option. you move a little square around with the directional pad to a certain spot in the frame and it will only focus on that point (so it won't get distracted by all the ambient stuff). it might be called "one shot" mode for a canon. i use this focus mode constantly.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:54 pm

Unless you have a lot of experience, manually focusing at 1.8 is virtually impossible unless you're either shooting still subjects and/or have the camera on a tripod. The depth of field is just too narrow. You might luck out occasionally, but you'll have far more misses than hits.

The camera/lens autofocus using searching for contrast. In a very dark situation, there is less contrast so cheaper lenses/cameras will have a harder time focusing. Back-lighting makes this problem much, much worse. This is where "better" lenses become worth their money as they're usually (but definitely not always) better at focusing in dim light.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:49 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:Unless you have a lot of experience, manually focusing at 1.8 is virtually impossible unless you're either shooting still subjects and/or have the camera on a tripod. The depth of field is just too narrow. You might luck out occasionally, but you'll have far more misses than hits.

The camera/lens autofocus using searching for contrast. In a very dark situation, there is less contrast so cheaper lenses/cameras will have a harder time focusing. Back-lighting makes this problem much, much worse. This is where "better" lenses become worth their money as they're usually (but definitely not always) better at focusing in dim light.

Yes, that narrow dof was a killer - wasnt sure if there was any way around this, or any focusing tricks.

I did try the spot focusing with one dot, but with random flashing lights, it just didn't seem to work, maybe I didn't have the spot focus working, I'll have to play with it.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:09 pm

is there an AF assist option on the camera? it would send a beam of light onto your subject to help find the focal point. if the camera doesn't have it, a speedlight flash will. if you're saving up for future camera upgrades, a speedlight should be first on your list, imo.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:54 pm

find out if anyone in your area rents lenses and Speedlights. that will allow you to try some stuff out before laying out the cash for it. there are also some places that rent that will ship. these folks are local to me but ship anywhere: http://aperturent.com/
I rented a fisheye lens when I went to San Francisco last year. I was VERY pleased.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Hmm Af Assist, I have a t3i so I imagine it should have that, wonder if I turned it off, or if the flashing lights on the dance floor interfered.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Flashing lights/back lighting will make any camera/lens hard to af. I shoot into the sun a lot when photographing seniors and I'll oftentimes need to shade the lens to be able to auto focus.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Just researched, canon t3i does not have an af assist beam, it uses a pre-flash.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:43 pm

When spring starts to, well, spring I'd like to take my Canon 1000D (aka Rebel XS) out to get some landscape pictures - stuff to decorate my office with. I only own the 18-55 kit lense and have used it mostly to take pictures at weddings and parties. I also have a tripod.

I'd like to get some nice shots of the city from the West End Overlook, shots around the fountain once its back on, Carson Street, some of the bridges, the exterior of interesting buildings, stuff like that.

So I will be renting a few lenses and I'd like opinions on which to get.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:51 pm

If you're looking for landscapes and buildings, your kit lens will probably be fine since it starts at 18mm. You want a wide lens for that type of shooting and you have it. I don't know Canon's lens line up but if you really want to rent some lenses, you could always check out some primes around 24/28/35mm but I really doubt you'd need anything other than what you already own.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Well foot. Our T3i all of a sudden won't recognize the SD card being in there, after shooting just fine two hours ago. Tried one of the old spare SD cards in the bag, same result. Both work in the laptop just fine.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tomas on Thu May 15, 2014 11:30 pm

I apologize for this completely dilettante question:

They say that a gift has a greater value to the giver, rather than to the recipient. And that just happened to us - we got Sony Alpha 7 as a gift. I am still in shock after I found out what a piece of expensive machinery it apparently is. Naturally, I will read the user manual (I always do), but can somebody briefly tell me what exactly is so awesome about this camera? In even more layman's terms - what can Alpha 7 do differently/in addition to (other than what I suspect is some kind of atomic-level resolution) compared to my old trusty Sony Cybershot (with 1076p video) or even Samsung Galaxy smartphone camera? Thanks!!
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby blackjack68 on Fri May 16, 2014 8:37 am

Our daughter is going into high school next year and we need to get her a DSLR camera for her photography class.

Any decent "entry level" suggestions?

My old Canon AE-1 won't cut it.
Nor will my Panasonic Lumix.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 16, 2014 9:13 am

Tomas wrote:I apologize for this completely dilettante question:

They say that a gift has a greater value to the giver, rather than to the recipient. And that just happened to us - we got Sony Alpha 7 as a gift. I am still in shock after I found out what a piece of expensive machinery it apparently is. Naturally, I will read the user manual (I always do), but can somebody briefly tell me what exactly is so awesome about this camera? In even more layman's terms - what can Alpha 7 do differently/in addition to (other than what I suspect is some kind of atomic-level resolution) compared to my old trusty Sony Cybershot (with 1076p video) or even Samsung Galaxy smartphone camera? Thanks!!

it's probably the sensor that makes it that expensive. your phone may have a lot of mega pixels, but if the lighting isn't perfect, your pictures look like junk. a bigger sensor gives you more wiggle room with what kind of light you need to get a good shot.

beyond that, it has interchangeable lenses, which is good. and a lot of other user experience stuff, i'm sure.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NHR