Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby skullman80 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:33 pm

If he doesn't want to be here, then let him leave.

He's young, and young people make bad decisions. Hopefully he has learned for the many bad decisions he has already made so far(not even counting Pitt).
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 pm

skullman80 wrote:If he doesn't want to be here, then let him leave.

He's young, and young people make bad decisions. Hopefully he has learned for the many bad decisions he has already made so far(not even counting Pitt).

Here's hoping the same, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he'll never learn from his mistakes
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfan1989 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:29 am

Mark Madden is implying things on Twitter right now about a "hypothetical" athlete failing drug tests and transferring :pop:
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 am

It sucks losing Shell, but the team has much bigger question marks than at RB. Bennett and Crockett are good backs, numbers are thin. But look at the OL, QB, WR etc.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 pm

I see Pitt told Shell that he can not transfer to Arizona State. Oopsie.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:32 pm

He's delusional if he ever felt that ASU or Arizona would be options for him.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Did Pitt publish a list? I'm curious who's on it if so.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:43 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Did Pitt publish a list? I'm curious who's on it if so.

He asked for transfers to Arizona, ASU, Cal, and UCLA. Pitt permitted transfers to Cal and UCLA, but blocked the other 2 because Fraud and Rich Rod have relationships with many of the players at Pitt, and they dont want that to become a trend. Apparently when Flacco transferred to Delaware, another Pitt player asked for a transfer there, and Pitt declined that for the same reason, not wanting to start a trend.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:45 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:

He asked for transfers to Arizona, ASU, Cal, and UCLA. Pitt permitted transfers to Cal and UCLA, but blocked the other 2 because Fraud and Rich Rod have relationships with many of the players at Pitt, and they dont want that to become a trend. Apparently when Flacco transferred to Delaware, another Pitt player asked for a transfer there, and Pitt declined that for the same reason, not wanting to start a trend.

I also read that every ACC school, WVU and PSU were also not options.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:58 pm

newarenanow wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:

I understand the Rich Fraudriguez and "High octane" Todd Graham sentiments. I also understand why you wouldn't want him to go to another school in the ACC.

I do not understand the PSU and WVU limitations. Especially in the case. What you're essentially doing is telling the kid he either continues to play for Pitt or he has to move far enough away from his daughter that travel becomes an issue. (other than OSU which is a whole 'nother issue)

Now before anyone gets started, I have not and will not ever be a Rushel Shell fan, I compare him to Brian Davis. WVU doesn't need and doesn't want that kind of headache.

So this has nothing to do with any Pitt - WVU issue, it just seems petty for Pitt to deny a student athelete be near his kids of he doesn't want to play at Pitt.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:58 pm

WVU and PSU were there because they are eventually on Pitt's schedule.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 pm

lol serious EPP?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:06 pm

MRandall25 wrote:WVU and PSU were there because they are eventually on Pitt's schedule.

OK, Penn State is in 2016 which would be Rushels Junior season. I thought it was further out than that.

WVU is not on Pitts schedule.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:10 pm

If Pitt allows Shell to go to a regional recruiting rival it could cause a trend. Especially since Shell is from said area.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:12 pm

Rylan wrote:lol serious EPP?

lol wut right back @ you

If you don't play a team, aren't even in the same conference, and no former coach is involved, why in the world wouldn't you?

MRandall can tell you all about not so long ago Michigan lineman who transfered to OSU. Justin Boren.

And they're bitter rivals in the same conference.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Boren

Seems rather petulant to me. But that's par for the course for the Pitt Program.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:19 pm

The issue is, Shell's want list is all Pac 12 schools. Pitt is not stopping him from anything.

Shell seems to want to get away. If he truly wanted to stay near his kids, he would have stayed at Pitt. Even his girlfriend is tweeting that he is selfish and is leaving them.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Rylan wrote:If Pitt allows Shell to go to a regional recruiting rival it could cause a trend. Especially since Shell is from said area.

Paranoid much? A trend? The Pitt Program is better than for you (or them) to worry about a mass exodus down I-79.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:24 pm

newarenanow wrote: Pitt is not stopping him from anything.

That logic is a bit lacking don't you think?

Especially since the reports are that PSU and WVU are on that list. (as well as Az and ASU, so Pitt is stopping him)

You're just assuming that Shell is ONLY interested in the PAC-12. To my knowledge he hasn't said that anywhere.

Pitt fans are starting to sound like the jilted gf.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:36 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote: Pitt is not stopping him from anything.

That logic is a bit lacking don't you think?

Especially since the reports are that PSU and WVU are on that list. (as well as Az and ASU, so Pitt is stopping him)

You're just assuming that Shell is ONLY interested in the PAC-12. To my knowledge he hasn't said that anywhere.

Pitt fans are starting to sound like the jilted gf.

He submitted his list of schools he wanted to transfer to and it was ASU, Arizona, UCLA and Cal. No other schools. He did not even consider any other school.

So with regards to keeping him away from his daughters and forcing him to go out west, no Pitt is not stopping him. They are stopping him from going to ASU and AZ though. However he can appeal it and probably will win.

It sucks he is transferring, but it's his life, so I don't care.

However you can turn something that is not even an issue into a huge one when it comes to this.

I'm done. I absolutely hate talking to you about college athletics because you are absolutely ridiculous when it comes to this. I dont' know why I continue to answer.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:51 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Yeah, that's what i thought I read.

Obviously Pitt thought that Shell might open things up to include talking to other schools or they never would have listed PSU and WVU. So if you think it's ridiculous, then you're argument is with Pitt not me.

It's not unusual for a kid to start with a lis tof schools he wants to talk to, that doesn't mean he's a fit for those schools or that they even want to talk to him. Then the search expands. This isn't a pro athelete, it's a 19 year old kid.

Everything has to be a partisan argument with you. Sometimes you just have to set back and look at it rationally instead of as a rabid fan of one program.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:53 pm

EPP as usual making something out of nothing and starting petty arguments.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:54 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

Yeah, that's what i thought I read.

Everything has to be a partisan argument with you. Sometimes you just have to set back and look at it rationally instead of as a rabid fan of one program.

Pot meet kettle.

And because those schools were off limits does not restrian him from looking at them and requesting transfer. Or else he would have never listed ASU and AZ. You're the one that twist things into some weird logic.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:04 pm

skullman80 wrote:EPP as usual making something out of nothing and starting petty arguments.

And there goes the standard skullman response, if I can't dispute the logic, turn it Ad Hominem.

It was a simple question, and I'm not the only one to make it.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... un-devils/

It’s understandable that Pitt would still harbor hard feelings over the manner in which Graham left the program, but the lingering animosity doesn’t make taking that frustration out on a kid any less wrong. The NCAA is in the midst of a maelstrom of issues that weakens its credibility by the day; the petulance with which some coaches and programs deal with transfers is one of those that gets little or no play but should.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... zona-state

Pittsburgh's athletic department has plenty of reasons to distrust Todd Graham, but we're not entirely sure what could have inspired the block from Arizona. It is normal practice to block a transfer within the same conference or to a school on the future schedule, but Arizona and Arizona State do not fall into either category.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 pm

skullman80 wrote:No one in this thread gives a **** what you think about Pitt or how they conduct their business. Its that simple we don't care what you think.

Sometime you might learn to hold your temper and debate the merits of a discussion instead of going off like a roman candle.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:44 pm

EPP has a point

I understand the teams they play against, the not setting a trend with ASU / Arizona.... I don't really understand WVU.

I guess I could understand it if "creating a trend," in that many Pitt players probably have relations with WVU staff, so not allowing it for similar reasons as ASU / Arizona
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR