Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:00 am

EPP, you're assuming he wanted to go to WVU. He didn't, so they didn't block a move there. Pretty much all there is to it.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,786
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 am

AZ has former pitt coaches on its staff

AZ also snatched at least one guy-Dakota Conwell of upper st clair-from the same recuriting class as Shell. Willliam Parks might have been a pitt committ at one point as well.

So its not like pitt has no reason to be paranoid that some of shells bros might follow him to a school like AZ
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,071
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 am

ulf wrote:EPP, you're assuming he wanted to go to WVU. He didn't, so they didn't block a move there. Pretty much all there is to it.

I'm not assuming anything. I've already said that I don't think he's a good fit for the WVU program ( I compared him to Brian Davis )

The issue is that if it's true that the 'prohibited list' includes PSU and WVU, it's Pitt that's making that assumption, not me. As you point out, It seems unnecessary.

I agree with the CBSSPORTS and NBCSPORTS articles, it's more than just a bit petulant and just makes the university look bad. NAN is right about one thing, it'd probably be overturned if he appeals it which makes it even more :face: .

Edit: In case someone doesn't get my Brian Davis reference I've included a article from august 1987 that ran in the Pittsburgh Press. I see a lot of similarities between Davis and Shell. (And a few differences) But what strikes me is Davis's comment that "getting away from home will help me, I was too close to home at Pitt. Too many people would come over to see me there. I was the type of person who couldn't tell them to leave. They were my friends, but they took away from my study time."

Davis also had a child while he was still in his teens.

Davis went to Kansas but determined that Kansas was too far from home. He then returned to the area (3-4 hours away) at Montgomery CC.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Shell's 'career' follows a similar path.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 75,1898839
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Is there anything credible saying WVU and PSU were on the list?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,786
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:17 pm

ulf wrote:Is there anything credible saying WVU and PSU were on the list?


Depends, do you find NAN credible?

newarenanow wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Did Pitt publish a list? I'm curious who's on it if so.


He asked for transfers to Arizona, ASU, Cal, and UCLA. Pitt permitted transfers to Cal and UCLA, but blocked the other 2 because Fraud and Rich Rod have relationships with many of the players at Pitt, and they dont want that to become a trend. Apparently when Flacco transferred to Delaware, another Pitt player asked for a transfer there, and Pitt declined that for the same reason, not wanting to start a trend.


I also read that every ACC school, WVU and PSU were also not options.


I'm believing NAN... is there a reason not to?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 pm

I think NAN meant that WVU and PSU weren't on Shell's list.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,994
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ulf on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:24 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
ulf wrote:Is there anything credible saying WVU and PSU were on the list?


Depends, do you find NAN credible?

newarenanow wrote:
cheesesteakwithegg wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:Did Pitt publish a list? I'm curious who's on it if so.


He asked for transfers to Arizona, ASU, Cal, and UCLA. Pitt permitted transfers to Cal and UCLA, but blocked the other 2 because Fraud and Rich Rod have relationships with many of the players at Pitt, and they dont want that to become a trend. Apparently when Flacco transferred to Delaware, another Pitt player asked for a transfer there, and Pitt declined that for the same reason, not wanting to start a trend.


I also read that every ACC school, WVU and PSU were also not options.


I'm believing NAN... is there a reason not to?

nan's record on his college football rumor mill is pristine.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,786
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:27 pm

FWIW ulf, I saw WVU and PSU's names listed elsewhere.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,923
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:47 pm

MRandall25 wrote:FWIW ulf, I saw WVU and PSU's names listed elsewhere.


tbh, a thorough web search turns up NOTHING credible on the PSU and WVU prohibitions.

The only thing I could find out there is a unattributed post on cardiachill.com.

WVU is pretty deep (relative to other skill positions) at RB and as I've said before, at this point, I see Shell as a Jason Gwaltney, Brian Davis kind of guy. In other words, highly gifted but not someone you want on your team.

He might be better off at a school like Marshall, or even App. State. Maybe a MAC or Conf USA school that's far enough from home that his friends won't distract him, where he can get more personalized attenion with respect to study habbits, and where he's close enough to still maintain a relationship with his daughters.

Hey, it worked for Randy Moss.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:51 pm

@SWernerPG 5 Apr
Can confirm earlier reports that #Pitt has blocked Rushel Shell from transferring to Arizona or Arizona State, though Shell can appeal.


@SWernerPG 5 Apr
Shell also blocked from moving to schools that appear on #Pitt's future schedules, which would rule out Penn State.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,923
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby pfim on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:35 am

IanMoran wrote:EPP has a point

I understand the teams they play against, the not setting a trend with ASU / Arizona.... I don't really understand WVU.

I guess I could understand it if "creating a trend," in that many Pitt players probably have relations with WVU staff, so not allowing it for similar reasons as ASU / Arizona


If you say ASU and UA aren't options because they have Pitt coaches who were involved in his recruiting, then you have to eliminate WVU as well.

I don't really care where he goes as long as it's no one Pitt has scheduled. But this goes on all the time, I don't think the school looks any more petty than any other school.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:00 am

pfim wrote: But this goes on all the time, I don't think the school looks any more petty than any other school.


It's gotten worse over the years.

AB Brown and Eugene Napolean were both guys who transfered to WVU from Pitt in the past. Jeff Hostettler transfered there from PSU.

You never used to hear people obsess that it might start a mass migration of the program from one school to another. And that was in years where those programs actually played each other every year.

These programs have gotten 'soff
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 am

I don't see why a school should feel bad about denying an athlete of going anywhere. They are the ones that broke the scholarship, and decided to leave. That's on the athlete, not the school. This goes for Pitt or any other college.

I hope Shell gets his head on straight though wherever he goes, not for his sake, but for his kids sake.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,066
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Previous

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beveridge, Digitalgypsy66, DontToewsMeBro, Loaf31, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, malkinshair, Staggy, stopper40, the wicked child, yubb and 11 guests

e-mail