Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2012-13 Pitt Football Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 am

so who else would like to find a fall hobby that provides less pain than pitt football?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:05 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:so who else would like to find a fall hobby that provides less pain than pitt football?

Pens should be starting camp! Oh wait.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:07 am

tino is exhuasting.

three year starter and he makes freshman mistakes. unreal.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:10 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:tino is exhuasting.

three year starter and he makes freshman mistakes. unreal.

Agree. I understand the kid has been through a lot, and different systems all 3 years, 3 different coaches, etc, but the mistakes he is making are like you said, freshman mistakes, not a starter of 29 games.

Delay of games, holding onto the ball too long, and running out the time at the end of the half was just mind blowing.

It is not going to work with him. I'd start working for the future.

Kid had a tough break with so many changes, but when you still have not progressed on the simple things, he is not good.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:08 am

The optimist in me said that Pitt can win this watered down Big East this year and get some momentum going into the ACC.

The pessimist in me said that the coaching debacle is finally going to catch up with them this year and PC is going to have to start from scratch. Looks like this was the right answer.

One thing that amazes me is the lack of speed this team has.

Clemmings and Murphy, while highly touted recruits, look terrible at DE.

Shane Gordon was a lone bright spot last night. He actually looked like he belonged starting on a D1 football team.

Shell looked like a freshman at times in his limited appearances, especially pass blocking, but you can tell that kid has it and is going to be a stud.

I think that Voytik becomes the starter after the VT game. Chryst wont throw him to the wolves until then, but I think that he plays the rest of the year just to get some experience, and perhaps redshirts next year while Savage plays.

This is going to be a long rebuilding process, but I am all in for giving PC time.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:25 pm

I remain a believer in Paul Chryst and think the people calling for his head are insane. It's only been two games, lets be real here. That being said, with the team's performance in the first two games I completely understand people criticizing his John Russell-esque demeanor.

When you are a quiet, stoic coach it can go one of two ways. When you win, you are an even-keeled leader who takes the good with the bad and doesn't let emotion cloud your judgement or the way you manage the game. When you lose, you are a lazy, uninspiring empty suit who can't motivate your players and seem largely disinterested in the outcome of the game.

It's something that becomes even more of a focal point in this city. People are expecting to see a sideline demeanor like Chuck Noll (always angry), Bill Cowher (complete lunatic), or Mike Tomlin (somewhere in the middle, but still emotional). The entire Pitt sideline seems dead. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, but it provides the critics something to continually complain about.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 pm

there are a million reasons why the pitt sideline is dead. chryst is not the reason.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 pm

We've seen that sort of criticism for HCDB.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Are there really people calling for Chryst's head? Horrible time management aside, he has no chance this season.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:36 pm

columbia wrote:We've seen that sort of criticism for HCDB.

and any coach that does not fit the yinzer mold of anyone that yells in peoples faces

the funny the is, hurdle never gets into players faces, but he yucks it up with the media and is a personable guy so he gets a free pass.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Yeah, we're getting stomped, not sure it would make me feel better to have some dude screaming on the sideline. Doesn't help at all.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Wanny got 5 seasons after proving twice in the NFL that he couldn't coach. Chryst only gets two games?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:40 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

and any coach that does not fit the yinzer mold of anyone that yells in peoples faces

the funny the is, hurdle never gets into players faces, but he yucks it up with the media and is a personable guy so he gets a free pass.

We do see Hurdle turn purple on occasion though.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:53 pm

Rocco wrote:Wanny got 5 seasons after proving twice in the NFL that he couldn't coach. Chryst only gets two games?

Wanny's from Pittsburgh, has a moustache, is prone to say "yinz".
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby the wicked child on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:01 pm

There are people calling for Chryst's head already? :face:

I assumed this was a lost season. Until they find a QB who can throw the ball more than 2 feet on a regular basis and lineman to keep him alive, they are going to be hot garbage.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:06 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

Jamie Dixon gets a lot of criticism for his demeanor as well. It's because judging someone's demeanor takes no knowledge of the sport. In general Pittsburgh sports fans are morons who don't understand the sports they are watching. Things are a bit tougher with hockey, basketball and baseball (all it takes for a Steelers fan to complain about the play calling is to not score a touchdown or get a sack every play), but in general the nuance and strategy of sports are lost on the average fan. Despite that, even the dumbest fan can see the manner in which a coach acts and harp on them for it.

The yinzer mentality seems to be that if you aren't winning, it's because you're not motivated, and even though they are adults the athletes (in any sport) can't motivate themselves, so the coach's main purpose for existing is to motivate his players, the only way to motivate someone is by yelling at them (preferably with a Pittsburgh accent and lots of spit), and if the coach isn't running around yelling like a lunatic then he isn't doing his job and should be fired.

When a Pittsburgh sports fan talks about firing a coach, 99% of the time their idea for a replacement is a lunatic who yells a lot.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stoosh on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Too much was made of Chryst's personality by the media and now it's snowballed for many of the exact reasons Dickie Dunn noted above. When the team struggles, fans get frustrated and seeing the coach trying to keep his composure only drives the frustration level of some of the fans even higher.

Wanny had some very visible meltdowns on the sidelines at times and more times than not, he'd come off looking he had even less control of his gameplan than it previously appeared. In most cases, that's really saying something. Brian Kelly is a fire-breathing maniac on the sidelines at Notre Dame and he looks like an ass most of the time when he does it.

Chryst may be a little too much in the opposite direction. As Dickie said, you don't want a lunatic, but you don't want John Russell, either.
That said, Chyrst's dressing down of T.J. Clemmings after the personal foul went a long way. I can get Clemmings being frustrated and upset, but he has to keep his composure and Chryst certainly let him know it.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:16 pm

you know what else sucks lately about pitt? pantherlair. that place sucks these days. its the same four people bellyaching about pederson in each goddam post. ugh.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:you know what else sucks lately about pitt? pantherlair. that place sucks these days. its the same four people bellyaching about pederson in each goddam post. ugh.

Between that and all the PSU stuff, I don't really go there much anymore.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 pm

captain sidney reilly or whatever his name is needs his own thread where he can just ramble about whatever. no one cares about what he has to say.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 pm

newarenanow wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:you know what else sucks lately about pitt? pantherlair. that place sucks these days. its the same four people bellyaching about pederson in each goddam post. ugh.

Between that and all the PSU stuff, I don't really go there much anymore.

Tell me about it. I picked one heck of a time to subscribe to that place :face:
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:30 pm

the premium board has to be a little better, right?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:11 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:captain sidney reilly or whatever his name is needs his own thread where he can just ramble about whatever. no one cares about what he has to say.

Agree. That dude just went off the deep end lately.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:12 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:the premium board has to be a little better, right?

I use my buddies premium account sometimes to read recruiting news and other things, and it is 10Xs better there.

You still have your chicken littles and whiners, but it's not nearly as bad as the free board, plus you don't have all of the trolls coming onto that board from other schools.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Does the The Dude charge for premium access, NAN?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR