U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consulate

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Froggy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:09 pm

this is my issue with the world in general... for some reason, some people view the idiot who thinks "hey, i'm going to make a dumb offensive movie" is worse than the terrorist that thinks, "hey, i'm going to kill people with a rocket launcher!"
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,711
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Ari Fleischer ‏@AriFleischer
The Arab Spring is starting to feel too much like the Iranian Revolution.


Not the biggest fan of Fleischer, but man....this is ringing true to me right now.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,975
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Godric on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:17 pm

EDIT: Dumb people, drive me crazy
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:30 pm

You guys are missing my point. By respect, I meant respect their religion and understand that they have their own set of rules and their culture. I may not agree with it, but that's not the point here. Just like I do not like seeing fun made of Christianity in certain ways - even though I'm not very religious myself - I would never be so critical and dumb-minded about Islam. I am not defending what happened. I am saying that this was inevitable after news of such a movie came out and that the guy should be held responsible in some way.

And to say that there aren't Christian counterparts to those guilty of actual murder is ignorant. Look no further than members of our own military who preached a religious war in Iraq on par with the Crusades. There have been many articles in the past on this. Rifle scopes with Bible verses or daily briefings that George Bush would receive just the same, but mostly the high-ranking officers brainwashing our soldiers into what to them was war of religion. They eventually decided to cut down on that - under Obama, I believe - but let's not pretend it didn't happen.

Let's be fair here. There are religious nuts on both sides of the world so to single out Muslims is stupid. It was an equivalent of angering a rabid dog and then acting surprised that it bit you anyway - you gotta be smarter than that.

On a related topic, what is saddening to me is that a guy like Romney would use a tragedy where 4 Americans were killed for his political gain and purpose. Glad it blew up in his face.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Geezer wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I wonder what that guy can be charged with. I would seriously shift a lot of blame on him because it seemed like it was a personal vendetta on his part and what resulted was the death of 4 people. Even more so in his case, since he must have known what can possibly happen. I am not one of those people who say that, "oh, we can insult Islam and if they react harshly then they're too sensitive and uneducated". I think that may be the case either way, but you still have to respect their devotion and be understanding of politics in all of this.


No,I certainly don't. And respect is the last thing in the world that they deserve.
Their politics are perfectly clear. The Egyptian president has called for the release of the blind terrorist mullh and he also spews the line that the U.S. government performed the 9/11 attacks. The blind sheik's brother and and an AQ top guy's brother were ring leader's of the embassy attack. The Egyptian security forces left their posts when the wall's were breached. This was completely government sanctioned if not sponsored.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09 ... t-is-ally/
This is one time Obama was right. Now they're walking back another statement. All aid should immediately cease to that country on a permanent basis.


Geezer. All that tells me is that we should be out of Middle East. Yes, some Muslims hate us. Maybe we shouldn't have turned their whole region upside down.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Godric on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:54 pm

I thought there is 2 companies of marines at every embassy.... How the **** does this happen?

Your telling me the infinite amounts of money throw into the american military doesn't afford for us to scramble some cobras off a carrier? I'd like to see what 16 Hellfires and 40mm cannon does to a mob

That's pathetic, I thought this was the America that can drop a 1,500 pound Jdam on any square inch of the planet in 5 minutes of notice
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Pretty un-Godric like of you.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,389
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:10 am

MRandall25 wrote:Pretty un-Godric like of you.


“I have been repeating over and over again that he who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honour by non-violently facing death may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden. He has no business to be the head of a family. He must either hide himself, or must rest content to live for ever in helplessness and be prepared to crawl like a worm at the bidding of a bully”


- Ghandi

Those aren't innocent protesters, its a mob that kills people.

Mobs deserve the full fury of

Spoiler:
Image
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 am

Godric wrote:I thought there is 2 companies of marines at every embassy.... How the **** does this happen?

Your telling me the infinite amounts of money throw into the american military doesn't afford for us to scramble some cobras off a carrier? I'd like to see what 16 Hellfires and 40mm cannon does to a mob

That's pathetic, I thought this was the America that can drop a 1,500 pound Jdam on any square inch of the planet in 5 minutes of notice

There are 150 Marine Security Guard embassy detachments around the world, totaling some 1,000 Marines. A Marine rifle company numbers about 200 hats or less. I think the largest Marine embassy guard was in Moscow, and they numbered about 25. So no, there are not "2 companies" of Marines at each embassy.

And there are 11 full-size aircraft carriers on active commission inthe U.S. Navy, plus a similar number of amphibious assault carriers. Currently, I think there are 4 or 5 CVNs (the big carriers) on deployment*, two of which are in U.S. waters. This is one area of the defense budget where I actually advocate a bigger commitment and - ye gods - actually seem to be on Mitt Romney's side: I think in the 21st century we still need a 500-600 ship Navy with a greater emphasis on naval air and special operations. But then I would think that, wouldn't I?






* One of the CVNs at sea right now is USS Enterprise, the very first nuclear powered aircraft carrier. When she returns to port, she will be retired from active service and decommissioned. She's been in the fleet since John F. Kennedy's first year in office, and in that time I think she's had her reactors refueled twice. Not sure how many steam miles that translates to, but dang.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,399
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:41 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Godric wrote:I thought there is 2 companies of marines at every embassy.... How the **** does this happen?

Your telling me the infinite amounts of money throw into the american military doesn't afford for us to scramble some cobras off a carrier? I'd like to see what 16 Hellfires and 40mm cannon does to a mob

That's pathetic, I thought this was the America that can drop a 1,500 pound Jdam on any square inch of the planet in 5 minutes of notice

There are 150 Marine Security Guard embassy detachments around the world, totaling some 1,000 Marines. A Marine rifle company numbers about 200 hats or less. I think the largest Marine embassy guard was in Moscow, and they numbered about 25. So no, there are not "2 companies" of Marines at each embassy.

And there are 11 full-size aircraft carriers on active commission inthe U.S. Navy, plus a similar number of amphibious assault carriers. Currently, I think there are 4 or 5 CVNs (the big carriers) on deployment*, two of which are in U.S. waters. This is one area of the defense budget where I actually advocate a bigger commitment and - ye gods - actually seem to be on Mitt Romney's side: I think in the 21st century we still need a 500-600 ship Navy with a greater emphasis on naval air and special operations. But then I would think that, wouldn't I?


* One of the CVNs at sea right now is USS Enterprise, the very first nuclear powered aircraft carrier. When she returns to port, she will be retired from active service and decommissioned. She's been in the fleet since John F. Kennedy's first year in office, and in that time I think she's had her reactors refueled twice. Not sure how many steam miles that translates to, but dang.


Thank you. Hm. Gives me things to think about :pop:

I just thought with all the **** happening in Northern Africa we'd have atleast an LHD by there.

:pop: I guess keeping ships at sea is expensive.... and I'm always b*tching about how big the Budget is....
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:48 am

Wait a minute! I WAS RIGHT! (No, not about the number of Marines that protect Embassies)

The "USS Bataan"

Is off the Coast of Libya right now. Its a LHD. It has a Cobra like most LHDs and it has Harriers :pop:

Image

http://www.wvec.com/video/featured-vide ... 00949.html
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:51 am

It's fun being a west coast LGP poster late on a school night, eh? It's like our own board. :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,399
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:53 am

tifosi77 wrote:It's fun being a west coast LGP poster late on a school night, eh? It's like our own board. :lol:


I was thinking the same thing :lol:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:56 am

The specs of that Big Bad Peace Keeper:

http://navysite.de/ships/lhd5.htm
Aircraft: (depends upon mission)
6 AV-8B Harrier attack planes or 6 AV-8B Harrier attack planes
4 AH-1W Super Cobra attack helis 12 CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters
12 CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters 9 CH-53 Sea Stallion helicopters
9 CH-53 Sea Stallion helicopters
4 UH-1N Huey helicopters
Assault: or Sea Control:
42 CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters 20 AV-8B Harrier attack planes
6 ASW helicopters

Well deck capacity: three LCAC or two LCU or six LCM-8 or 40 Amphibious Assault Vessels (AAV) (normal) or 61 AAVs (stowed)
Crew: Ship: 73 officers, 1,009 enlisted Marine Detachment: 1,894
Armament: two Mk-29 NATO Sea Sparrow launchers, two 20mm Phalanx CIWS, eight Mk-33 .50 cal. machine guns, two Rolling Airframe Missile Systems


Thats every Marine's wet dream right there.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:11 am

llipgh2 wrote:Ok...does anyone subscribe to The Onion on FB? I am surprised what they just posted is still up. Definitely cannot be linked here. It is related to this thread.

:shock:

I just saw the cartoon you're talking about.......

:lol:

I think I'm gonna pee my pants, I'm laughing so hard. :fist:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,399
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:08 am

My dad was on the Enterprise in Vietnam. Feel a little sad it's heading to mothballs
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,975
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 am

This.....makes sense

http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=285118

Hundreds of protesters set alight a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli on Friday, witnesses said, chanting against the pope's visit to Lebanon and shouting anti-American slogans.

Locals watching the attack said some people were shouting, "We don't want the pope" and "No more insults (to Islam.)"

The incident came as Pope Benedict began a three-day visit to Lebanon and as anger over a film which Muslims have said is blasphemous to Islam spread across the region.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,975
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:08 am

shafnutz05 wrote:This.....makes sense

http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=285118

Hundreds of protesters set alight a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli on Friday, witnesses said, chanting against the pope's visit to Lebanon and shouting anti-American slogans.

Locals watching the attack said some people were shouting, "We don't want the pope" and "No more insults (to Islam.)"

The incident came as Pope Benedict began a three-day visit to Lebanon and as anger over a film which Muslims have said is blasphemous to Islam spread across the region.


Imagine if there was a Chik-Fil-A there.....
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,277
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby count2infinity on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:14 am

didn't south park do a muslim show? wasn't it the one where everyone sticks their head in the sand to not watch a tv show that depicted Mohammed?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,729
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:22 am

US Embassy in Tunisia:

Image

US Embassy in London (not surprising given the many radical elements living in the London metro):

Image

The German Embassy in the Sudan is also on fire, reportedly.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,975
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am

oh man...this is scary
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,970
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:36 am

And just think...all of this horrific violence and destruction. Over a **** rinky-dink film that most people would have never, ever heard of if it wasn't for this idiotic overreaction.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 56,975
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 am

University of Texas is now shut down after threats
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,432
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby Shyster on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:40 am

Sarcastic wrote:I am saying that this was inevitable after news of such a movie came out and that the guy should be held responsible in some way.

What should he be charged with? Apostasy? Blasphemy? Hurting people’s feelings?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,219
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:42 am

Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I am saying that this was inevitable after news of such a movie came out and that the guy should be held responsible in some way.

What should he be charged with? Apostasy? Blasphemy? Hurting people’s feelings?


Exactly.

If I made a film depicting the Flyers in a bad light and some of their fans, whom we know to be crazy, set fire to a Reebok store selling pens gear, should I be held responsible?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,970
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MalkinIsMyHomeboy, meow and 5 guests


e-mail