U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consulate

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: U.S. Ambassador to Libya Killed in mob attack at Consula

Postby count2infinity on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:42 am

shafnutz05 wrote:And just think...all of this horrific violence and destruction. Over a **** rinky-dink film that most people would have never, ever heard of if it wasn't for this idiotic overreaction.

I really think this was all planned and they're using the film as a "reason" to do this crap. It's really starting to get scary.

pittsoccer33 wrote:University of Texas is now shut down after threats

threats from who?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:45 am

count2infinity wrote:I really think this was all planned and they're using the film as a "reason" to do this crap. It's really starting to get scary.

That is certainly the case with the murder of the ambassador, but all of these other riots/protests are just good old-fashioned extremist nonsense, IMO. I'm sure the mullahs and whatnot are doing their part to roil them up though.

The UT Austin threat was phoned in by someone saying he was al-Qaeda, which to me is proof alone that it is bogus. They don't warn, they kill.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:54 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Shyster wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:I am saying that this was inevitable after news of such a movie came out and that the guy should be held responsible in some way.

What should he be charged with? Apostasy? Blasphemy? Hurting people’s feelings?

Exactly.

If I made a film depicting the Flyers in a bad light and some of their fans, whom we know to be crazy, set fire to a Reebok store selling pens gear, should I be held responsible?

Not really the same thing
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:58 am

I think the attitude that we can make fun of just about every single creed, belief, race, religion, etc in the world except for Islam, while grounded in reality, is pretty sad. It is truly the only group of people on the PLANET that people are extremely remiss to crack any jokes about. If I was one of the many, many moderate believers, I would find that to be an utterly embarrassing fact.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:03 pm

I think Romney is hilarious....

What should Obama do?

"Keep rioting Muslims, see if I don't nuke Mecca!"
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:05 pm

How many islamic terrorist attacks are actually just emotional responses to something they got offended about? If you told me zero, I'd believe you. Theres always something else going on.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:08 pm

I don't think anyone is denying that. But there is a difference between terrorist attacks (like the assassination of the ambassador and 9/11), and your garden variety, property-destroying chanting riots. All of these riots in London, etc, are 95% people just throwing an absolute **** fit because someone insulted what they believe in.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:14 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I really think this was all planned and they're using the film as a "reason" to do this crap. It's really starting to get scary.

As with the riots and bloodshed following the publications of the Danish Mohammad cartoons, I’m sure this outrage had been carefully fanned and cultivated by persons who want to use it to their political advantage. How better for Islamist movements to cement their recent electoral gains than whipping up some good-old indignant religious fury? After all, don’t people tend to vote more conservative during wartime? How better to get more votes for religious-based parties than to convince the citizenry that their religion is under attack (whether real or imagined)? And it also serves as easy cover to attack unwanted groups of people—not just Westerners, but also local unwanteds like the Christian Copts in Egypt.

For a better insight into what is going on, I suggest reading Silenced: How Apostasy and Blasphemy Codes are Choking Freedom Worldwide . What is going on is no less than an international effort on the part of Muslim-majority nations to change how the Western world defines and enforces its defamation laws. Our laws prohibit the defamation of people, not abstract concepts like religions. We have a right to be aggrieved if someone defames us personally, but not if someone merely attacks or mocks a concept we support, whether that concept is religion or otherwise. Demands to prohibit “religious insults” or anything that “defames religion” are no less than demands to completely change our legal concepts and traditions.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:25 pm

What's amazing to me is there never seems to be any internal conflict in those radical Islam terror organizations.... They never blow each other up.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Geezer on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:56 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09 ... ing-frank/
I'm glad Hillary got blunt with Egypt's head Muslim bro. Does anyone else believe that we should never give another dime to Egypt besides me?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Godric wrote:What's amazing to me is there never seems to be any internal conflict in those radical Islam terror organizations.... They never blow each other up.

It may not be reported so much here, but the primary victims of Muslim terrorists are other Muslims, and Muslims rampantly discriminate against Muslims of other sects. The Silenced book catalogs numerous cases where Shia-majority countries use their blasphemy laws to suppress Sunnis, Sunni-majority countries use their blasphemy laws to suppress Shias, and both of them use their blasphemy laws to suppress Sufis and Ahmadis. The constitution of Pakistan, for example, has a provision that specifically singles out Ahmadiyya followers and declares them to be non-Muslims. If they claim they are, they’re apostates who can be put to death.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Shyster wrote:
Godric wrote:What's amazing to me is there never seems to be any internal conflict in those radical Islam terror organizations.... They never blow each other up.

It may not be reported so much here, but the primary victims of Muslim terrorists are other Muslims, and Muslims rampantly discriminate against Muslims of other sects. The Silenced book catalogs numerous cases where Shia-majority countries use their blasphemy laws to suppress Sunnis, Sunni-majority countries use their blasphemy laws to suppress Shias, and both of them use their blasphemy laws to suppress Sufis and Ahmadis. The constitution of Pakistan, for example, has a provision that specifically singles out Ahmadiyya followers and declares them to be non-Muslims. If they claim they are, they’re apostates who can be put to death.

I've done a lot of reading about it too, as well as the my first hand experiances.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:07 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I don't think anyone is denying that. But there is a difference between terrorist attacks (like the assassination of the ambassador and 9/11), and your garden variety, property-destroying chanting riots. All of these riots in London, etc, are 95% people just throwing an absolute **** fit because someone insulted what they believe in.

The absurdity of the "insults" is the total intolerance that exists in these countries for other people's religions(or other's atheism).
I disagree about the reason for these riots being insults. These types look for the slightest provocation to go ballistic. What I'd like to see in this countries is picketing and demonstrations at buildings housing CAIR and related apologist groups that lobby and play our news media like a fiddle. It'd be a good idea if Americans would demonstrate on every 9/11 at mosques in our country to protest Muslim violence world wide. I mean peaceful demonstrations, not harassment. Any truly moderate muslims should join such protests.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Geezer wrote:It'd be a good idea if Americans would demonstrate on every 9/11 at mosques in our country to protest Muslim violence world wide. I mean peaceful demonstrations, not harassment. Any truly moderate muslims should join such protests.

You're assuming that the 9/11 attackers were actually representative of the religion?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Reportedly mobs in Tripoli burned a KFC and an Arby's to protest Pope Benedict's visit. Like Rodney Dangerfield they can't get any respect.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Geezer wrote:I disagree about the reason for these riots being insults. These types look for the slightest provocation to go ballistic.

not just these types (see vancouver - june, 2011). people in general have a hard time behaving themselves, and don't have to look very far for provocation .
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:28 pm

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Geezer on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:40 pm

columbia wrote:
Geezer wrote:It'd be a good idea if Americans would demonstrate on every 9/11 at mosques in our country to protest Muslim violence world wide. I mean peaceful demonstrations, not harassment. Any truly moderate muslims should join such protests.

You're assuming that the 9/11 attackers were actually representative of the religion?

They were indicative of the extremist behavior done in the name of their religion. If the vast majority of Muslims opposed jihadis they could stop those people tomorrow. It does appear by polls done by non-Fox media(don't want them blamed) that about 3/4 of the Egyptian populace dislikes America. The attitude in most of these countries that some movie a nut made is a more evil act than the murder of 4 Americans. The 9/11 attackers were representative of enough of the Muslim populace that their violent behavior is a major worldwide problem.

To me the key is to focus on opposing the Islamic fundamentalism that is the root cause. I think there's 1.5 billion Muslims.If 10% of them are fundamentalists you're dealing with 150 million people. Of the Islamists who are non-violent and moderate Muslims many have twisted views of events.A survey in Pakistan of educated younger people showed the majority didn't believe 9/11 was an attack by radical Muslims.
The clown running Egypt has stated in speeches that 9/11 was an American inside job. I wish that we as a country would challenge that belief system.
Sorry to ramble. I believe that the attackers were representative of a high enough percentage of that religion that it needs to be focused on;whether it's 5% or 10%.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Shyster wrote:

Thanks. My brother told me about how the Kurds hated all the Muslims in Iraq... He said Kurdish Militias working with US Military would have "accidents" and engage in firefights with other sects and their US militias

What I meant was internal struggles in this organizations like Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, TMB, etc
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Godric wrote:What I meant was internal struggles in this organizations like Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, TMB, etc

Good point. A lot of them seem to operate in separate countries, like Hezbollah is pretty much in Lebanon and Syria, the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and North Africa, and Hamas in the Palestinian territories. They may not cross paths too often.

It was the case, however, that when Hamas won Palestinian elections in 2006 (interestingly, no elections have been held since then), Hamas members pretty much went around Gaza and liquidated members of Fatah and other rival factions, killing something like 120 people and wounding hundreds. Does that one count?
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Shyster wrote:
Godric wrote:What I meant was internal struggles in this organizations like Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, TMB, etc

Good point. A lot of them seem to operate in separate countries, like Hezbollah is pretty much in Lebanon and Syria, the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and North Africa, and Hamas in the Palestinian territories. They may not cross paths too often.

It was the case, however, that when Hamas won Palestinian elections in 2006 (interestingly, no elections have been held since then), Hamas members pretty much went around Gaza and liquidated members of Fatah and other rival factions, killing something like 120 people and wounding hundreds. Does that one count?

Yes, that's sorta what I'm talking about but I suspect Hamas and Fatah are operated by different sects
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:08 pm

YouTube refuses to remove anti-Islamic film clip
YouTube will not remove a film clip mocking the Islamic Prophet Mohammad that has been blamed for anti-US protests in Egypt and Libya, but it has blocked access to it in those countries.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/g ... -clip.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:26 pm

columbia wrote:YouTube refuses to remove anti-Islamic film clip
YouTube will not remove a film clip mocking the Islamic Prophet Mohammad that has been blamed for anti-US protests in Egypt and Libya, but it has blocked access to it in those countries.

I like google.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Good. Don't appease these animals.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:00 pm

columbia wrote:YouTube refuses to remove anti-Islamic film clip

Keep something up causing death and violence, take down anything disney, pro wrestling, music not from the source, cartoons, etc. Well done YouTube.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR