First internets experience?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: First internets experience?

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 pm

The first game I played via modem was Doom (the old deathmatches).
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Freshman year in college, I remember going to the computer lab and emailing my friends. It was pretty cool. I remember we'd go up all drunk at night and type drunken emails. We thought we were hilarious (looking back, we were idiots).

That was teh first I remember.

Honestly, it was amazing how much changed in the 5 years from when I was a freshman in college to the first year I was out of school.

1) Freshman year in college, I bet only 3 or 4 people I knew had a computer in their dorm room. You had to use the computer lab. And no one really went on the internet because there really wasn't much. We used to keep our fantasy FB team stats in notebooks for god's sake! And then within the next 5 years, everyone had a laptop or some form of computer in their dorm room. No one went to the computer lab.

2) Cell phones. I knew 2 people with a cell phone in college, and you could only use it after 9pm because it cost a lot of money to call prior to that. I remember at 9, I'd use my roomates phone to first call my girlfriend and talk for like 20 minutes, and then call my parents every once in a while. Other than that, you had to use a phone card to make off campus calls. 5 years later, my first year out of school, everyone had a cell phone and you could call whenever you wanted.

3) DVD players. I was the only person i my frat with a DVD player. Everyone else had tape players still. When I graduated, like 2 years later, no one had a VHS.

Just in the span from 1996 - 2001, I think technology changed big time. It was the most drastic change I can think of. Sure, there are advances every day, but I think in those 5 years, technology took a HUGE leap into digitial technology.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jprolley on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:53 pm

A/S/L?
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:03 pm

1996. AOL. Right about the time of the new 19.95 flat fee was introduced.

Making punters and other various proggies. Sitting in the vb private rooms. Making Overhead accounts to spam, gag, and TOS the LAMERZ. Exploiting just about every feature AOL pumped out until I finally got Adelphia cable for a connection. By that time, AOL was pretty much dead with Version 532. Fun times though.

Man, I remember when if you wanted an mp3 you would wait for the people pumping the warez group mailing lists out so you could wait 45 minutes just to hear FILE'S DONE for your new mp3. Load up Winamp and BAM!

Who knew making AOL proggies would lead to what I am today, lol. I still keep up with quite a few of the people from those private rooms.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:42 pm

I remember when we first got the internet at my house in the late 90's (probably around 97/98). When using the dial-up connection for AOL, there were a handful of 412 #'s to use. At busy times of the night (around 9PM), it was almost impossible to get online because so many people were trying to dial in. I used to change my dial in number to some remote city in the US because I knew that Id have no problem logging in. It used to drive my dad nuts because he would get outrageous phone bills because it was like making a long distance call for hours.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:50 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:1996. AOL. Right about the time of the new 19.95 flat fee was introduced.

Making punters and other various proggies. Sitting in the vb private rooms. Making Overhead accounts to spam, gag, and TOS the LAMERZ. Exploiting just about every feature AOL pumped out until I finally got Adelphia cable for a connection. By that time, AOL was pretty much dead with Version 532. Fun times though.

Man, I remember when if you wanted an mp3 you would wait for the people pumping the warez group mailing lists out so you could wait 45 minutes just to hear FILE'S DONE for your new mp3. Load up Winamp and BAM!

Who knew making AOL proggies would lead to what I am today, lol. I still keep up with quite a few of the people from those private rooms.

i wonder if weve ever came across each other on AOL. I did some work with a decently-sized hacker prog called AOIce and we had a decently-knit gathering of like-minded individuals. never got into phishing or anything destructive, but enjoyed the TOS banning of people with differing opinions.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:55 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:Man, I remember when if you wanted an mp3 you would wait for the people pumping the warez group mailing lists out so you could wait 45 minutes just to hear FILE'S DONE for your new mp3. Load up Winamp and BAM!

The worst was when you were getting a solid 5.1 kbps, you were 95% finished with a song, and you'd see the download speed gradually drop.

About 5 seconds later, click click.....{{AOL voice}} Goodbye! :evil:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:02 pm

1985 - working for CMU's School of Computer Science.

Email and bboards and ftp, oh my!

I loved it.

EDIT - I can't believe I forget this:

Spoiler:

and my first workstation:

Spoiler:
Last edited by llipgh2 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby malkinshair on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:10 pm

malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:25 pm

newarenanow wrote:Freshman year in college, I remember going to the computer lab and emailing my friends. It was pretty cool. I remember we'd go up all drunk at night and type drunken emails. We thought we were hilarious (looking back, we were idiots).

That was teh first I remember.

Honestly, it was amazing how much changed in the 5 years from when I was a freshman in college to the first year I was out of school.

1) Freshman year in college, I bet only 3 or 4 people I knew had a computer in their dorm room. You had to use the computer lab. And no one really went on the internet because there really wasn't much. We used to keep our fantasy FB team stats in notebooks for god's sake! And then within the next 5 years, everyone had a laptop or some form of computer in their dorm room. No one went to the computer lab.

2) Cell phones. I knew 2 people with a cell phone in college, and you could only use it after 9pm because it cost a lot of money to call prior to that. I remember at 9, I'd use my roomates phone to first call my girlfriend and talk for like 20 minutes, and then call my parents every once in a while. Other than that, you had to use a phone card to make off campus calls. 5 years later, my first year out of school, everyone had a cell phone and you could call whenever you wanted.

3) DVD players. I was the only person i my frat with a DVD player. Everyone else had tape players still. When I graduated, like 2 years later, no one had a VHS.

Just in the span from 1996 - 2001, I think technology changed big time. It was the most drastic change I can think of. Sure, there are advances every day, but I think in those 5 years, technology took a HUGE leap into digitial technology.

You got in and out of college one year ahead of me. My freshman year, we may have been the only dorm room on our floor where both roommates had their own computers. I remember that web addresses were usually short abbreviations, and not every company had one. By my third year of college, it was almost impossible to make a call out of our fraternity because the 8-10 phone lines were occupied by computers. By the time I left, we had a computer lab in a library of our house entirely on a cable network. A couple of guys had wireless, but it wasn't common. It's mind-boggling that this progression was less than five years.

As far as phone calls, 1800CALLATT, 10-10-321, calling cards, etc. were the norm when I went to college. Cells were expensive, unless you called at night. By the time I left, 75% of incoming freshman had cell phones.

To the OP, I remember a friend having prodigy in the mid-1990's, but didn't really understand what he was doing with it. I started using Netscape with a dial up in the summer of 1997, right after I graduate high school. I had this conversation with a buddy recently: If you were two years older than me and you were on the internet in high school, you were a "computer nerd". If you were two years younger than me and not on the internet in high school, there was something wrong with you.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Prodigy message boards. Usually talking about Nirvana.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens9192 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:00 pm

1996 on AOL 3.0 on my Pentium II 233 mhz, 10GB Hard Drive Dell computer. I was 12 years old.

I spent many a nights and weekends with my friends in the AOL N64 vs. Playstation chatroom.

Keyword: ANT
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Back in the day http://www.l0pht.com/ was the go to place for hacks and cracks. Not just computers but telecom systems, anyone ever redbox?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:54 pm

some time back in 2006, i first used the internet to find information about quality ink based writing utensils that i could use for my various correspondences. I mistakenly stumbled on this site instead.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Froggy wrote:some time back in 2006, i first used the internet to find information about quality ink based writing utensils that i could use for my various correspondences. I mistakenly stumbled on this site instead.

:lol: :thumb:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:11 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:The first game I played via modem was Doom (the old deathmatches).

Mine was Duke Nukem!!
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:21 pm

1985. I had just graduated and was taking a computer class at Computer Tech in Pittsburgh. I had a Commodore 64 and a phone line modem. Me & a girl there exchanged passwords and went thru the schools mainframe to send cyber sex messages to each other. Thing is, she was printing them out to keep and the schools admin got wind of it and we were both expelled. Totally worth it! I contend to this day that Im a pioneer of internet dating.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm

:shock:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Or something like that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:1985. I had just graduated and was taking a computer class at Computer Tech in Pittsburgh. I had a Commodore 64 and a phone line modem. Me & a girl there exchanged passwords and went thru the schools mainframe to send cyber sex messages to each other. Thing is, she was printing them out to keep and the schools admin got wind of it and we were both expelled. Totally worth it! I contend to this day that Im a pioneer of internet dating.

Did you invent putting on your robe and wizard hat?

haha fixed. - i meant to say "trolling" and then robe and wizard hat
Last edited by JeffDFD on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:14 pm

Lol...troll?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:17 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Lol...troll?

all better now
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:09 pm

/me loved to chat on yahoo! Chat all day
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 am

JeffDFD wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:1985. I had just graduated and was taking a computer class at Computer Tech in Pittsburgh. I had a Commodore 64 and a phone line modem. Me & a girl there exchanged passwords and went thru the schools mainframe to send cyber sex messages to each other. Thing is, she was printing them out to keep and the schools admin got wind of it and we were both expelled. Totally worth it! I contend to this day that Im a pioneer of internet dating.

Did you invent putting on your robe and wizard hat?

haha fixed. - i meant to say "trolling" and then robe and wizard hat

100% true on my life. My first real internet was a Web TV. I registered on this site in 199- something as Badger-Bob
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 am

canaan wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:1996. AOL. Right about the time of the new 19.95 flat fee was introduced.

i wonder if weve ever came across each other on AOL. I did some work with a decently-sized hacker prog called AOIce and we had a decently-knit gathering of like-minded individuals. never got into phishing or anything destructive, but enjoyed the TOS banning of people with differing opinions.

Remember any of the moorpark kids, numb, dos, soap, netr? I went by Sam. :P

JS© wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:Man, I remember when if you wanted an mp3 you would wait for the people pumping the warez group mailing lists out so you could wait 45 minutes just to hear FILE'S DONE for your new mp3. Load up Winamp and BAM!

The worst was when you were getting a solid 5.1 kbps, you were 95% finished with a song, and you'd see the download speed gradually drop.

About 5 seconds later, click click.....{{AOL voice}} Goodbye! :evil:

Yeah, that was terrible. Then you go beat the crap out of your younger brother for picking up the phone. Lol.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR