Galaxy S III or iPhone 5 (with poll)

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Galaxy S III or iPhone 5?

Galaxy S III
52%
iPhone 5
48%

Total votes : 27

Galaxy S III or iPhone 5 (with poll)

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Time for a new phone. Which (out of these 2) do you recommend and why?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Galaxy S III or iPhone 5 (with poll)

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Which provider are you on? Do you have experience/a preference to iOS or Android?

Android will win every time for me because I hate iTunes. Apple doesn't support Flash websites (I hate most mobile sites) or DLNA (a network multimedia streaming technology).

I do think Airplay is a truely awesome feature that the iphones have going for them though.

Why are you ruling HTC out? The One X and forthcoming 8X are both just as rad as the S3. I also like the Nexus line, the newest model the Galaxy Nexus is made by Samsung but will be updated to new OS versions long before the S3 will.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:08 pm

I have the exact same question.

I have verizon, I have experience with the Droid X and I like it very much except for Iphone people group texting me (bunch of jerks...) and my phone can't handle it. It needs to download their message then put it in a particular folder for me to read. Other than that, they're equal in my eyes.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby ulf on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:13 pm

I'll face the same question in November. Any word on when the next nexus will be out? And will it be on Verizon? The razrM intrigues me also.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm

Voted from my Galaxy S III
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:25 pm

ulf wrote:Any word on when the next nexus will be out?

Rumor is five Nexus devices (might not all be phones) are being released on November 5th to celebrate Android's birthday.

Verizon has to be the most locked down carrier in the US. The Nexus devices are mostly geared toward the world market, where most operators use GSM (sim cards). The Nexus phones are pentaband (meaning they work on all GSM carriers) and are sold unlocked by Google directly. $350 for a top end phone and no two year contract.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MelicharSux on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:03 pm

I've been an iPhone user for a while but I just dropped my iPhone 4 in water and got the S3.

I will report back.
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:07 pm

I have hundreds and hundreds of apps from the iTunes App Store that will work on the iPhone 5.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm about as anti-Apple as they get, but I do believe - objectively - that the Galaxy S III is a superior product.

I know three people that have them, and I'll be getting one in January when my upgrade is available.

tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby knives of ice on Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:08 pm

it all comes down to what operating system you like better. android is open source and you can do anything with it if you really get to know your phone. ios is easier to just pick up and use with little customization. the specs between the newest models are fairly similar it all comes down to the software you prefer.

personally, i have no idea how anyone could prefer ios over android after using them both extensively.

the galaxy note 2 comes out on all providers in november. its a "phablet" a bit over 5 inch screen quad core with 2gbs of ram. insanely fast.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:10 pm

knives of ice wrote: android is open source and you can do anything with it if you really get to know your phone.

This is the one thing I've heard the most.

I'm not really all that tech-y, but if there's something I want to figure out how to do, I am able to google it and understand what I'm reading.

I'm lazy though.

Oh and my provider is Sprint.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:10 pm

I have the Galaxy S right now, so I have some experience with Android
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Which of these 2 devices has a more extensive Apps bank?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Android is the superior operating system in terms of open source coding, no restrictions on apps, and customization. The downside of that is because anyone can make apps when you download one it could interfere with the operation of your phone... I'd say this

If you use your phone for music, surfing the web, and texts/talking get the Iphone, it's cliche at this point but it just works and it's very user friendly.

If you want to use your phone for customizing every little detail I'd go with the android device.

My personal preference after owning an android device and going over to Iphone is the Iphone. Long battery life, does anything I need it to, no problems with apps interfering with how the phone runs. Plus the Iphone 5 is only $200.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm

I've spent too much time at the command life in my professional life, to ever want to "mess around" with a stinking phone.
I have an iPhone now and will certainly consider an Android in the future....but not because I was to rootkit it.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

im pretty sure iOS has more programs but the truth is "most" major ones you'd want to use are cross platform. there must be a few good ones that are still only on one system or another, but I can't imagine anything like Pandora, Twitter, or the like being only available on one. Even Windows Phone 7 has most major apps.

it should also go without saying that most phone apps are just slightly reformatted versions of that developer's mobile website.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm

tracfone

**** your data limits and contracts.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:38 pm

OP is on sprint? No limits
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:39 pm

I like Sprint living in Pittsburgh. It sucks when I am at home in Cumberland.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I just wanted a phone that worked and took great pictures, so I got the Nokia 808 pureview, which currently has the best camera available for smartphones. (The pics are ridiculously good).

Just throwing that out there in case anyone has the same criteria as me. In terms of a smartphone, (operating system, apps etc), it doesn't compare to the galaxy iii or iphone, but for me, I don't need all of that stuff. I don't even have a data plan and I won't sign any contracts.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Steve wrote:I just wanted a phone that worked and took great pictures, so I got the Nokia 808 pureview, which currently has the best camera available for smartphones. (The pics are ridiculously good).

Just throwing that out there in case anyone has the same criteria as me. In terms of a smartphone, (operating system, apps etc), it doesn't compare to the galaxy iii or iphone, but for me, I don't need all of that stuff. I don't even have a data plan and I won't sign any contracts.

The Nokia Lumia line of Windows phones are the most innovative cell phones in a few years. The 920 is only going to be available for ATT in the US and is going to feature the newest iteration of their Pure View tech. Pretty impressive stuff.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:02 pm

Sprint is real nice for data. I got on my parents' unlimited everything plan (talk, text, data) since it was only $29.99/month to add me (would have been $19.99 if I didn't have a 4G phone). The last 2 years I wrote them one check each year to cover my whole year of phone and I didn't have to think about it anymore
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:38 pm

The only really awesome, great app that I know of that isn't cross-platform is iTunes U..... and I say that largely because I just discovered the (FREE!) Science and Cooking class offered by Harvard a year or so ago. The one with guest lecturers like Harold McGhee and.... who else..... oh, yeah; FERRAN ADRIA.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DocEmrick on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:05 pm

DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:10 pm

I like my iPhone for the reasons pavel stated above. Sure missing out on some flash sites sucks but that's why I have a home CPU. If you're relying on a divice with a super small screen for your browsing you've got issues. Just get what works for you and don't listen to either fanboys instead of yourself you'll end up disappointed.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to NHR