IT question

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

IT question

Postby newarenanow on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:41 am

For you IT savy people out there, quick question.

My wireless router is sending out a signal, but all of my computers, it is saying I cannot access it and I can't open the internet. I went down to where the modem is plugging into the wireless router and plugged it directly into my computer adn it works, so I am getting service.

When I pull up the menu for available networks, I see it, but none of my computers are allowing me to access it.

What is wrong and how do I fix it?

I do not have password protect, so could someone have jumped in and blocked me out? Could the wireless router just be old and I need a new one?

HELP!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: IT question

Postby yubb on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:59 am

I doubt it's just old.

You say you can't associate to the wireless? Are you using Windows? What do you see that indicates you aren't connecting? Any specific error messages?

Did you bounce the router and your PC?
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:40 am

I'd say its very likely somebody is screwing with it - I had a jerk neighbor that I used to do that to. I'd password protect it or have it quit sending the SSID (thats what you call your network and what you are looking for).

Plug a computer directly into the router. Then open My Network Places from my computer, right click on your modem, and then click view device webpage.

This is where you add a password and the like. You could also probably do a hard reset of it by shoving a pin in the reset hole if this sounds too scary.

And definitely get a password on that - if you'll remember from a thread earlier this year that I have a friend being sued because somebody was illegally torrenting on his network.

Then rename your wifi network FBI Surveillance Van or NSA Mobile Wiretap.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:13 pm

I might try a hard reset first. And then put a password on it.

IF that doesn't work, I might come back to you guys with more questions.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:15 pm

newarenanow wrote:I might try a hard reset first. And then put a password on it.

IF that doesn't work, I might come back to you guys with more questions.

I think this is your best option.
If you didn't write down the default username/password to admin the router, you can usually find those on the innertoobz.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby JS© on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:19 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I'd say its very likely somebody is screwing with it - I had a jerk neighbor that I used to do that to. I'd password protect it or have it quit sending the SSID (thats what you call your network and what you are looking for).

Plug a computer directly into the router. Then open My Network Places from my computer, right click on your modem, and then click view device webpage.

This is where you add a password and the like. You could also probably do a hard reset of it by shoving a pin in the reset hole if this sounds too scary.

And definitely get a password on that - if you'll remember from a thread earlier this year that I have a friend being sued because somebody was illegally torrenting on his network.

Then rename your wifi network FBI Surveillance Van or NSA Mobile Wiretap.

my old wireless was named 4543a87m564.fbi.gov

Maybe not that exact name, but it included a string of numbers with two letters mixed in and fbi.gov attached to the end.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby redwill on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:24 pm

Just move into the country where your nearest neighbor is almost a half-mile away.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:30 pm

redwill wrote:Just move into the country where your nearest neighbor is almost a half-mile away.

I'm in a new construction neighborhood where I only have like 3 neighbors that could even remotely access my wireless, so it's one of them 3 if it is someone messing with me.

Devil's night is coming up in a month. I'm going to egg all of their homes (and throw an egg or two at my own so I don't stand out).

Bastards.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:32 pm

Turn your wifi piggybackers’ internet upside down
http://lifehacker.com/190441/turn-your- ... pside-down
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby slappybrown on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:14 pm

newarenanow wrote:For you IT savy people out there, quick question.

My wireless router is sending out a signal, but all of my computers, it is saying I cannot access it and I can't open the internet. I went down to where the modem is plugging into the wireless router and plugged it directly into my computer adn it works, so I am getting service.

When I pull up the menu for available networks, I see it, but none of my computers are allowing me to access it.

What is wrong and how do I fix it?

I do not have password protect, so could someone have jumped in and blocked me out? Could the wireless router just be old and I need a new one?

HELP!

If any poster on LGP would not have a password on his wireless network in 2012, of course it would be NAN.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:33 pm

pittsocerr33 is right, NAN is a jerk neighbor
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PghSkins on Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:44 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say someone was out to find ways to reduce the inflation of your post count.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Do any of you jerkoffs live near me?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:35 pm

so if anyone was to guesstimate, when nan starts a thread, in general, how many posts are made until someone starts to make fun of him? 5? 6?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:37 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:so if anyone was to guesstimate, when nan starts a thread, in general, how many posts are made until someone starts to make fun of him? 5? 6?

Probably around there. Possibly earlier if you, shad, canaan, or slappy jump in right away.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to NHR