Memory leak in [various] browsers -- help?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Memory leak in [various] browsers -- help?

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:55 pm

I've recently been experiencing a huge slowdown on my machine that I think is being caused by a memory leak in the Google Chrome browser. In the past couple days my machine will go into super slowdown mode where it takes literally 30-40 seconds to tab between open applications and almost everything becomes unresponsive. Task manager shows multiple instances of Google Chrome running (7 or 8) despite only having 2 or 3 tabs open. (I usually have Facebook and LGP open all day) Malware scans are coming back clean.

I should note that this is my work machine I'm talking about. In-house IT guys are great, but if this is something I can fix myself I'd rather give that a go.

Any suggestions or help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Memory leak in Google Chrom browser -- help?

Postby relantel on Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:59 pm

i've experienced something similar of late. Annoying. Often I close out of chrome and reboot and try a clean session and hope for the best.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:00 pm

As a test, I just opened Chrome with 3 tabs.
Windows 7 says I have 6 Chrome processes running ....Perhaps a plugin in each tab, explains the difference.

The point being, I'm not sure that the number of listed processes is indicative of any problem, even is Chrome is causing a problem.

I would look at the memory use of individual Chrome processes. If one or more seems way out of whack (compared to other Chrome and FF processes), then it is probably due to a specific plugin or extension.

How's that for being vague?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Memory leak in [various] browsers -- help?

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Well, each tab in Chrome is treated as a separate instance of the application. So if there's a problem with one of the tabs you can close its operation without having to close the entire browser session. (I don't know if I'm explaining that accurately, but that's what I think is going on) So there has to be at least as many instances of chrome.exe on the Task Manager as there are open tabs.

And of course, as I say this my machine is slowing down again.... despite me being on Firefox.

Might it be a problem with a specific site? I'm wondering if Facebook is the culprit.....
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:17 pm

Well, yeah, it uses multi-threading.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like a Chrome problem.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:19 pm

I would also use the system tools: Disk clean up and delete all the temp files that may have accumulated on the computer.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:23 pm

It's not Facebook. I'm running into a similar instance on my desktop that runs 7 Home Premium and my Macbook that's running Snow Leopard 10.6. Neither time Facebook was open.

Sites I had open:
*twitter
*lgp
*hfboards
*ebay
*mail.yahoo.com
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 am

Chrome recently had an update - not sure how you have your install configured, but I have to "look" at the About Chrome tab/button/URL to actually install an update. I was having a trouble with websites not opening when launching Chrome, and that seemed to be fixed.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 am

Chrome is at fault, I would use firefox right now until they get it fixed. Any of you try to browse a GIF heavy thread and it's certain to bring your PC to its knees.

This has been an issue for a few days now, a bunch of IT related forums I frequent have been in full nag mode.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:50 am

thepittman wrote:Chrome is at fault, I would use firefox right now until they get it fixed. Any of you try to browse a GIF heavy thread and it's certain to bring your PC to its knees.

This has been an issue for a few days now, a bunch of IT related forums I frequent have been in full nag mode.

I left this thread after making the post above yours, and went to the Tony Romo thread...the first gif worked fine, and the rest were still pictures...I thought "Why would they post random pictures of Tony Romo?" :lol:

Now I know why...Chrome is broken. :(
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:17 pm

First thing this morning, I was prompted with an Adobe update. Since that was installed, my computer (and Chrome, which is up to date) has been running right as rain.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR