W & J Student Murdered Last Night

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: W & J Student Murdered Last Night

Postby ILikeTurtles on Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:56 am

Arrests made in slaying of Washington & Jefferson College football player
http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/arrests-made-murder-washington-jefferson-college-f/nZGjp/
WASHINGTON COUNTY, Pa. — Three people have been arrested in connection with the death of a Washington & Jefferson College football player last year.

Glad they were able to track these three down.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:05 am

It looks like they were hot on their tail at the outset. The stolen cell phone was tracked to one of the alleged perpetrator's home. Reports also indicate arrests were made after simultaneous interrogations led them to turn on each other. Murders always seem to be solved this way.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:28 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:It looks like they were hot on their tail at the outset. The stolen cell phone was tracked to one of the alleged perpetrator's home. Reports also indicate arrests were made after simultaneous interrogations led them to turn on each other. Murders always seem to be solved this way.

Which always makes me wonder if they usually get the person who does the actual killing as the "murderer." Granted all are usually connected, but seems like it just becomes a game of who will blame the other person first.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:40 pm

IanMoran wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:It looks like they were hot on their tail at the outset. The stolen cell phone was tracked to one of the alleged perpetrator's home. Reports also indicate arrests were made after simultaneous interrogations led them to turn on each other. Murders always seem to be solved this way.

Which always makes me wonder if they usually get the person who does the actual killing as the "murderer." Granted all are usually connected, but seems like it just becomes a game of who will blame the other person first.

The Felony Murder Rule in most jurisdictions allows you to charge someone with murder as long as they voluntarily committed the felony that led to the murder. So, what they generally try to do is get them to admit they robbed the guy but didn't kill him as if their punishment will be less. Everyone tries to blame the others, but in the process, they implicate themselves in the felony, which is all you need.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:00 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

The Felony Murder Rule in most jurisdictions allows you to charge someone with murder as long as they voluntarily committed the felony that led to the murder. So, what they generally try to do is get them to admit they robbed the guy but didn't kill him as if their punishment will be less. Everyone tries to blame the others, but in the process, they implicate themselves in the felony, which is all you need.

Seems a little fishy if you ask me. But I'm sure that your description is oversimplified..?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:47 pm

mac5155 wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

Seems a little fishy if you ask me. But I'm sure that your description is oversimplified..?

My description of the felony murder rule is correct. The interrogation technique could be more complication; for instance, you can't explicitly promise leniency.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:01 pm

mac5155 wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

NEVER EVER EVER cop to ANYTHING!

if you don't believe me ask one of our resident attorneys
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Which always makes me wonder if they usually get the person who does the actual killing as the "murderer." Granted all are usually connected, but seems like it just becomes a game of who will blame the other person first.

NEVER EVER EVER cop to ANYTHING!

if you don't believe me ask one of our resident attorneys

I think this is overly simplistic. If you're end goal is not go get convicted at trial, then, yes, of course saying something to a police officer can only make that task harder. But if you're like me and view getting arrested and booked as a substantial cost, then there are arguments that talking can help you avoid this even if it makes a trial conviction harder to avoid. If you killed someone, talking is obviously bad. But if you're publicly intoxicated, then you're not going to trial no matter what. To the extent, apologizing, talking, etc. can avoid the arrest, then speaking is probably advisable.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:38 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:NEVER EVER EVER cop to ANYTHING!

Cop to anything? My advice is to never, ever, ever even talk to the police, let alone admit to committing a crime. I wouldn’t answer a police officer if he or she asked me the time.

Edit: And this video does an excellent job of explaining why I hold that position and make that recommendation:

Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks Shyster, and to the Hammer, I'd rather be thrown in jail and be arraigned than give the police two words that can be brought up at trial.

Don't think for a minute that ANY cop cares if he got the right guy. He's only interested in making a successful collar.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Previous

Return to NHR