What was your first car?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What was your first car?

Postby Gabe on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:26 pm

a 1983 Mercury Marquis in a rather hideous turquoise color. It was just a weird car. The horn was operated by tapping a second stick underneath the turn signal.

Gabe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 pm

Plymouth Horizon...don't remember the year but I mean really...if it was brand new, the ladies would have just been impossible to keep away so it was good that it was a bit old.

JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 pm

1973 Ford Gran Torino - 355 V8 Windsor! Man that car could move! Bought it for $300 off a neighbor and ran that thing to the ground - Fast and Furious style!

Looked pretty much like this one (mine was light green and red primer with w dark green landau roof):
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:06 am

JeffDFD wrote:Plymouth Horizon...don't remember the year but I mean really...if it was brand new, the ladies would have just been impossible to keep away so it was good that it was a bit old.

Ha, the first car that was pretty much "mine" was also a Plymouth Horizon, which I drove starting when I hit 16 in 1991. It was a four-door 1978 model from the first year of production. It had the Volkswagen-sourced 1.7 L four-cylinder engine (with a blistering 75 hp) and a four-speed manual. No air conditioning, power brakes, power steering, or power anything else. It was painted an odd metallic caramel brown color that could only have been conceived of in the fashion wasteland of the 1970s. My mother was the official owner, and we bought the car from my great-uncle for $5. He'd left it parked in a field for about a year when I bought it from him. I found a snake living in the car when I went to clean it out.

I had a love/hate relationship with that car. It had some serious quality/reliability issues that stranded me quite a few times, but I really liked the fact that it offered a lot of room and utility and was nice to drive (when it felt like running). Driving that Horizon is probably the reason I still prefer hatchback cars to this day.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tomas on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:10 am

White 1988 Toyota Celica GT-S (exactly like the one on the picture). Manual, just 41K miles when I bought it in 1996 for $5,500. Sold it 6 years later for $2,300. An incredible car - thank you, Wexford lady! :)

Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:52 am

82 Mustang. Manual transmission. Brown. Totaled. 210 Freeway. Lenny was the guy that was reading his newspaper on his steering wheel and never looked up to see stopped traffic while doing 55. He made it to a Howard Johnson's before the cops found him inside eating. Waitress called the CHP when she noticed blood on his face.

Good times in that car. Had a lot of cassette tapes that were never found when we went to the tow yard.

Good times in that car.
Last edited by BigMcK on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Godric on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:57 am

Silver 1992 Acura Integra, just like the picture, I bought it in 2009 for 3000$ from a 90 year old woman. It was her son's car and he died in 1997. He didn't drive it much because it only had 65,00 miles on it

I had to teach myself to drive manual

I sold it when I moved to California, I needed the money so I don't regret it but that car was a lot of fun
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Godric on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:04 am

Heh. No two posters have posted the same car yet
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:36 am

best car in the world: 1996 infiniti g20. used to get 40mpg on that beast.

Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 am

1984 VW Rabbit

Mine was the same color as this one - except it was 4 door, and didn't have a sunroof.

It was a diesel. 50 MPG combined, 0 to 60 in about 2 minutes haha. In the wintertime, I would put the key in the ignition and then I would just wait before starting it - and passengers would ask "what are you waiting for?", and I would respond that I'm waiting for the glow plugs to warm up!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SoupOrSam on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:53 am

90 Geo Storm GSi.

7X,XXX miles when I bought it. By 90,000 head gasket was replaced twice. Yeah, I beat the crap out of it. Passengers could not open the door, I had to always open it from the inside. Driver side window broke during a hell of a storm when we were skiing up at Seven Springs... had to drive home with inches upon inches of snow sitting on my lap, waiting on the turpike because thy closed it on us. Terrible time then, funny as hell now.

Bought it for $2k. Gave it to a brother's friend that left it abandoned in a Napa parking lot for a few months. Used to drive by it all the time then one day it was gone.

What. a. piece. of. poop.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:35 am

Shyster wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Plymouth Horizon...don't remember the year but I mean really...if it was brand new, the ladies would have just been impossible to keep away so it was good that it was a bit old.

Ha, the first car that was pretty much "mine" was also a Plymouth Horizon, which I drove starting when I hit 16 in 1991. It was a four-door 1978 model from the first year of production. It had the Volkswagen-sourced 1.7 L four-cylinder engine (with a blistering 75 hp) and a four-speed manual. No air conditioning, power brakes, power steering, or power anything else. It was painted an odd metallic caramel brown color that could only have been conceived of in the fashion wasteland of the 1970s. My mother was the official owner, and we bought the car from my great-uncle for $5. He'd left it parked in a field for about a year when I bought it from him. I found a snake living in the car when I went to clean it out.

I had a love/hate relationship with that car. It had some serious quality/reliability issues that stranded me quite a few times, but I really liked the fact that it offered a lot of room and utility and was nice to drive (when it felt like running). Driving that Horizon is probably the reason I still prefer hatchback cars to this day.

Mine was a bit more recent model...but it had like donuts for wheels and if you got over 60 MPH it was like a wind tunnel inside and you couldnt hear any music. Felt like a go kart with a fancy enclosure. Got me from A to B though in high school.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 am

This was my first car, a 1985 Jeep Cherokee "Chief" model. Although I have some fond memories of it, for the most part is was a piece of junk.

It had a Chevy 2.8L V6 instead of the excellent inline 6 that Cherokees were famous for. Nothing but problems with it, and the Jeep dealership(s) couldn't even figure most of them out. For an entire summer (in South Carolina!!!!), I had to drive around with the heat on because they couldn't keep the car from overheating. We used the car for our family's business, as a delivery truck. Two days a week that summer I would drive for about four hours, down to Kiawah Island, and back. With the heat on. Ridiculous. Turns out they (Jeep dealership) had the wrong thermostat installed.

I blew the engine the year after that, and had it rebuilt (I was in college). It ran for two years, and then some of the valves cracked and piston broke, effectively making a V6 a V4.5. I limped the normally 3 1/2 hour drive from Clemson to Charleston in 6 hours at a top speed of 50 MPH (on an interstate where the speed limit was 65 in the mid-1990s). With the windows down. And the heat on. :lol:

I traded it in the day after I got home from exams for a 1995 Chevy S10. Great truck.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Factorial on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:48 am

'68. First time I drove it it had just rained. I stopped at a light and skidded 10 ft into the intersection. Checked the brake fluid level and it was almost empty. :face:
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 am

Nice Jeep DG. Yeah, I can confirm, the 4.0 I6 motors were tanks.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stopper40 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 am

1967 Chevy Bel-air. I happened to turn 16 right when my great-grandmother quit driving. God I miss that car. Thing was a tank and I beat the crap out of it
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby redwill on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:28 am

1981 or maybe '82 Subaru wagon:

Mine was white. Not that it mattered, since it was mostly rust.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:43 am

I had an awesome stereo in my Cherokee. it was the cat's ass. I saved for like a month to get it. Now I make that amount of money in like 2 days. (it wasn't expensive :pop: )

600 watt subwoofers in a bandpass box with bass tubes and plexiglass. Oh yeah.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:10 am

1980 Ford Mustang. For as bad as it looked, it ran solid for the 5 or so years we had it.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:17 am

88 or 89 Volvo 240, can't remember what year, regardless I only had it a few weeks before I totaled it.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:20 am

My second vehicle was much cooler. (Yes, I had my second vehicle by age 18 :pop: )

This is the actual one. I used to go to the demo derby and drag the broken cars out with it. Once, these hot shots with Cummins diesels thought they were tough **** and both hooked up to me at the same time. I drug their pansy a**es around the arena to the loud cheers of the fayette county populous.

Sold it for an engagement ring :(
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 pm

mac5155 wrote:Sold it for an engagement ring :(

Here's hoping you get many more satisfying miles from your spouse as you did your truck.

:fist:
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:48 pm

BigMcK wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Sold it for an engagement ring :(

Here's hoping you get many more satisfying miles from your spouse as you did your truck.

:fist:

:pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:48 pm

1992 HONDA ACCORD LX. Bought it brand new and still have it.
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Black 1990 Pontiac Grand Am.

Spoiler:

I got it in 1998. It had power windows and doors. I absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, I only had it for about a month until a lady in a minivan decided to pull out of her driveway in the pouring rain without making sure no one was coming. I didn't have enough time to stop and luckily only clipped her in the quarterpanel. No one was hurt. The car didn't have much damage but was totaled due to a bent frame.

My next car was a blue-green 1994 Chevy Berretta. It was the ugliest color in the sunlight, but would turn blue in the shade or rain. My dad go it for me after the accident, and I didn't have much choice. It lasted me until I graduated college.

The first car I purchased was a black 2005 Chevy Cobalt. It died 2 years ago right after I paid it off. I am now leasing a 2011 Toyota Highlander. My lease ends soon and I am not sure whether I'm going to keep it or turn it in for a car with lower payments and better gas mileage.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR