Getting back a home land line

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Getting back a home land line

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:46 pm

Its been so long since I had a house phone I don't even know where to start or what my options are. When I moved in like 6 years ago I went thru comcast and got my cable/internet in a package but with that had to pay for a land line for so many months then just cancel it. Never even used it. I dont think I even had a phone plugged in. I'm going to start working out of home in about a week and I'm going to need a phone. I can't use my cell because all our correspondance has our office lines on them, and we can transfer to any other employee who are all at their homes as well.

Anyone have any idea how to go about getting one put in, or activated on the cheap? I may be on the phone a combined 10 minutes a day, so its going to suck if I have to spend a ton on a monthly bill. I have to start calling around tmw and this weekend, but thought I'd ask to get a head start on what to look for.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Getting back a home land line

Postby Tomas on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:09 am

Check Nettalk or Magicjack. They cost something like $50- $70 for the first year, $20-$30 for the years after. I like Nettalk a little more, because they do not charge for porting the old number.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:15 am

hmm Thanks didnt think of that. So with those, I could just use my work number and extension thru my router?
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tomas on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:53 am

Yep, it's just a small box (like 1*3 inches?) that you hook up to your wireless router (alternatively, it can be inserted directly into your computer/notebook via USB; you actually call through your computer mic and speakers, but then you have to keep the computer on all the time; ). Both companies give you the option to select your own number (can be with any area code you want), change that number whenever(?) you want, or port your old number. Nettalk does it for free, Magicjack will charge you $20 one time + $10 every year(?) for that privilege.

The big advantage for me is that you can take the adapter with you if you go on vacation, assignment, etc. - and you have your "home phone" always available. Unlimited calls to US and Canada.

The phone has free features like caller ID, and I believe Magicjack will even send you the answering machine messages as audio files into your email - all for

$50 (box+1 year service) + $30 additional years for Nettalk or
$70 (box+1 year service) + $20 additional years for Magicjack.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:02 am

Thanks that helps a ton. That's actually the same thing they use in the office: calls and voice mail on audio files on the computer but I'm just training there for now and mine isn't set up for that so I didn't know anything about it
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:27 am

Why can't your company just use an IP Phone for when you are working at home? Silly to have to put in a landline for something like this when there are better options out there. The last two companies I've worked at home for didn't require a landline, went through my internet connection.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:33 pm

If you're company won't reimburse you for the costs, you might be able to deduct the costs on your tax return.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Yeah, I know they pay so much a money to cover our internet, but i didnt think they would since we have the option of working in the office. I think I should be good. I just happend to ask someone when we were discussing working from home if I'd have to reactivate my landlane and one guy just shook his head yes. He might not know what he's talking about tho. The stuff you all described seems more like what they do tho.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scb147 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:34 pm

skullman80 wrote:Why can't your company just use an IP Phone for when you are working at home? Silly to have to put in a landline for something like this when there are better options out there. The last two companies I've worked at home for didn't require a landline, went through my internet connection.

This.
scb147
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to NHR