Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:02 pm

yeah not sure why he's facepalming either.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
#redsox still talking to #pirates about hanrahan. likely be for multiple players. jose iglesias not in current offerings
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,357
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby kovyfalcon27 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:02 pm

JS© wrote:
The Boston Red Sox are moving toward acquiring closer Joel Hanrahan from the Pittsburgh Pirates, according to multiple sources. However, one official cautioned that there was "still work to be done."

More On The Red Sox

Hanrahan saved a total of 76 games over the last two seasons for the Pirates and is a year away from free agency. With incumbent closer Andrew Bailey still a question mark after a season in which he was injured for most of the year, then pitched ineffectively, it makes sense that the Sox would explore bullpen upgrades.

It is unclear what the Pirates would be getting back in return. Pittsburgh has been looking for pitching, primarily starters, but just came to terms with Francisco Liriano.

One major league source said Pittsburgh is seeking a "significant return" for Hanrahan, an All-Star in each of the last two seasons. He earned $4.1 million in 2012 and can expect a significant bump in salary arbitration, to close to $7 million.


http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... f14c5d6d5c

:face:


Why the :face: ?? If you can get a "significant return" then do it. Relief pitchers are a dime a dozen, and a solid bullpen is the one thing NH has been able to consistently put together since he's been here.
kovyfalcon27
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,854
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:17 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby LeopardLetang on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:02 pm

don't understand the face palm
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,539
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby Bioshock on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Keep in mind Hammer has been an allstar two years in a row. 76 saves in the past two season. The Pirates SHOULD get good return.

If the Pirates get nothing back then we can all kick and scream but until that happens, just read the report and believe the "significant return" part.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,895
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:12 pm

i have a feeling that hammer isn't worth as much as some think.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,357
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:23 pm

I was of the opinion that Hanrahan should be kept unless a GREAT deal was offered we couldn't pass up...I don't get the feeling we're gonna get a great deal from Boston but I'll wait to see what they give us, maybe I'm wrong...
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,455
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby Bioshock on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:24 pm

ulf wrote:i have a feeling that hammer isn't worth as much as some think.


Well, his value is definitely curtailed by the fact that he's in the last year of his deal.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,895
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Bioshock wrote:
ulf wrote:i have a feeling that hammer isn't worth as much as some think.


Well, his value is definitely curtailed by the fact that he's in the last year of his deal.

Yes. Along with some numbers that aren't very promising. Unlike fans who see 76 saves the past 2 years, GMs look at a few more numbers..

NESN ‏@NESN
Joel Hanrahan Suddenly in Demand Among Relievers, But Numbers Indicate Serious Red Flags http://wp.me/p2AlCJ-upV
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,357
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby JS© on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:32 pm

kovyfalcon27 wrote:
JS© wrote:
The Boston Red Sox are moving toward acquiring closer Joel Hanrahan from the Pittsburgh Pirates, according to multiple sources. However, one official cautioned that there was "still work to be done."

More On The Red Sox

Hanrahan saved a total of 76 games over the last two seasons for the Pirates and is a year away from free agency. With incumbent closer Andrew Bailey still a question mark after a season in which he was injured for most of the year, then pitched ineffectively, it makes sense that the Sox would explore bullpen upgrades.

It is unclear what the Pirates would be getting back in return. Pittsburgh has been looking for pitching, primarily starters, but just came to terms with Francisco Liriano.

One major league source said Pittsburgh is seeking a "significant return" for Hanrahan, an All-Star in each of the last two seasons. He earned $4.1 million in 2012 and can expect a significant bump in salary arbitration, to close to $7 million.


http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... f14c5d6d5c

:face:


Why the :face: ?? If you can get a "significant return" then do it. Relief pitchers are a dime a dozen, and a solid bullpen is the one thing NH has been able to consistently put together since he's been here.


I'll admit to not doing much research on this potential trade, but haven't we seen what a "significant return" usually brings the Pirates? Usually it's a couple of ham and eggers from AA that are brought up to the Pirates in September after another losing season has been locked up. The number of times where the Pirates have a legit prospect that panned out is far, far less than the garbage that they have received over the last two decades.

Maybe they do receive something resembling a legit MLB player, but the facepalm is nothing more than a pessimistic reaction based on past trades.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,953
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Trying to avoid the mumps.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby JS© on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:35 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:I was of the opinion that Hanrahan should be kept unless a GREAT deal was offered we couldn't pass up.


and this is where I am with any mention of a Hanrahan trade.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,953
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Trying to avoid the mumps.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby LeopardLetang on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:45 pm

JS© wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:I was of the opinion that Hanrahan should be kept unless a GREAT deal was offered we couldn't pass up.


and this is where I am with any mention of a Hanrahan trade.


i was just piling on kind of for fun and because i didn't really know what you meant by it. i'd rather not trade hanrahan because i haven't been impressed by any talked about returns (perhaps excepting capuano - i like him,) but i also think hanrahan could charcoal the bed next year and i'm bored and want to see what they could get in a trade.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,539
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:23 pm
Location: Altoona

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:53 pm

JS© wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:I was of the opinion that Hanrahan should be kept unless a GREAT deal was offered we couldn't pass up.


and this is where I am with any mention of a Hanrahan trade.



Yeah I don't agree with just trading him because his value goes all downhill from here. His value as a closer in what is a relatively inexperienced bullpen on this team is much higher than the value of whatever we're probably going to get from trading him, even if his pitching is as erratic as it was last season.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,455
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby beerman on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:29 pm

I don't want them to trade Hanrahan just to do it but its not necessarily a bad move. Despite a nice save total last year he didn't really have that good of a year so if they can still get a nice deal then that's pretty cool with me..

Gotta wonder what the hell Boston is doing, they let Papelbon walk, trade Reddick plus for Bailey, Lowrie for Melancon, they've signed Uehara and now they're going to give up more assets for Hanrahan all in the last year. This is why it's good to trade closers when you can teams just continually scramble for them.
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,243
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:49 pm

sounds like Jerry Sands is in the deal
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,357
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby Bioshock on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Who is Jerry Sands?
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,895
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Yuck, Sands another corner OF who wont stick in the lineup. I have no problem trading Hanrahan and don't expect a huge return at this point. If Sands were on the waiver wire I wouldn't want the pirates to pick him up.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,264
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:02 pm

I would hope he isn't the only piece. He is 25, decent numbers in AAA last 2 years.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,357
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:06 pm

If Jerry sands is the highlight of this deal for us I will be extremely disappointed. We have enough average corner outfielders.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,455
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby Rocco on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:08 pm

The Pirates got Hanrahan in exhange for Sean Burnett and Nyjer Morgan. It would be hard for them to get a lower return on their investment. He also was struggling mightily at the time before the Pirates salvaged him and turned him into an All-Star closer. Closers aren't that hard to find, and if a team really wants to trade actual prospects and pay a closer $7M, let them do so and take their prospects.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,561
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
Jerry Sands is a terrific athlete w/power. High celing. Holliday type. Will be good get for #pirates if deal is finalized

Interesting take
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,357
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:30 pm

bucs also getting.......stolmy pimental
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,357
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:31 pm

That sounds like a type of beer
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,561
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:37 pm

So another corner outfielder who bats around .250 with no power, and a AA pitcher with an ERA around 6...great deal NH
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,455
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:41 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:So another corner outfielder who bats around .250 with no power, and a AA pitcher with an ERA around 6...great deal NH

not sure where you're getting 250 or no power from.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,357
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:41 pm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pirates Off-Season Thread

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:48 pm

ulf wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:So another corner outfielder who bats around .250 with no power, and a AA pitcher with an ERA around 6...great deal NH

not sure where you're getting 250 or no power from.


I saw 4 homers and a .244 average in two ML seasons, although I just now looked at his minor league stats and they're much better...still not sure it was worth trading Hanrahan for though.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,455
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 pm
Location: Blacksburg, VA

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cagsjr724 and 8 guests


e-mail