George McGovern died

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

George McGovern died

Postby Geezer on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:25 am

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10 ... dies-at-0/
Disagreed with his domestic policies but respected the guy. He was a bomber pilot in WWII.That Army air force suffered among the highest casualties of our service branches
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: George McGovern died

Postby columbia on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:32 am

I definitely would have been a McGovernik.

RIP.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Factorial on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:42 am

columbia wrote:I definitely would have been a McGovernik.

RIP.

RIP.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:21 am

RIP George. McGovern was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his service as a bomber pilot in WWII. He also earned a PhD. in history.

Here’s a McGovern quote from 2008, still relevant today:

As a U.S. senator during the 1960s, I agonized over the badly mistaken war in Vietnam," McGovern wrote. "After doing all I could to save our troops and the Vietnamese people from a senseless conflict, I finally took my case to the public in my presidential campaign in 1972. Speaking across the nation, I told audiences that the only upside of the tragedy in Vietnam was that its enormous cost in lives and dollars would keep any future administration from going down that road again.

I was wrong.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/21/us/george-mcgovern-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby penny lane on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opi ... on-658625/

PG paper edition had a fabulous photo of a college-age Bill Clinton(lots of hair) volunteer, with G McGovern.
first election I had a sense of what was happening. I supported McGovern, clique in school all 4 nixon.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:31 pm

penny has been warding off the clique since '72. :slug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Don't know much about his other politics, but it took balls to speak about our military involvement like he did. I think most of us here wish we had someone do that today. Well, we did. Ron Paul, but he was largely marginalized by the media. RIP.

Upon his return to the Senate, McGovern turned to introducing legislation to end the Vietnam War. In 1970, he co-authored an amendment with Sen. Mark Hatfield (R-Ore.) to the annual military funding bill which ordered a complete withdrawal by the end of the year.

Shortly before the Senate voted on the measure, McGovern took to the chamber floor to castigate colleagues who opposed a hasty pullout.

“This chamber reeks of blood,” he said. “It does not take any courage at all for a congressman, or a senator, or a president to wrap himself in the flag and say we are staying in Vietnam, because it is not our blood that is being shed. But we are responsible for those young men and their lives and their hopes.”

The amendment failed to pass.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:38 pm

columbia wrote:penny has been warding off the clique since '72. :slug:

We should all chip in and buy her a tee shirt that says that.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Don't know much about his other politics, but it took balls to speak about our military involvement like he did. I think most of us here wish we had someone do that today. Well, we did. Ron Paul, but he was largely marginalized by the media. RIP.

Upon his return to the Senate, McGovern turned to introducing legislation to end the Vietnam War. In 1970, he co-authored an amendment with Sen. Mark Hatfield (R-Ore.) to the annual military funding bill which ordered a complete withdrawal by the end of the year.

Shortly before the Senate voted on the measure, McGovern took to the chamber floor to castigate colleagues who opposed a hasty pullout.

“This chamber reeks of blood,” he said. “It does not take any courage at all for a congressman, or a senator, or a president to wrap himself in the flag and say we are staying in Vietnam, because it is not our blood that is being shed. But we are responsible for those young men and their lives and their hopes.”

The amendment failed to pass.

Not disagreeing with your view about his speaking out against military involvement but there were 2 candidates who opposed the war in 1968. Gene McCarthy(?) enjoyed a fair amount of support. I believe RFK also had basically come out for pulling out in Vietnam during the 1968 democratic nomination campaign.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Geezer wrote:Not disagreeing with your view about his speaking out against military involvement but there were 2 candidates who opposed the war in 1968. Gene McCarthy(?) enjoyed a fair amount of support. I believe RFK also had basically come out for pulling out in Vietnam during the 1968 democratic nomination campaign.

I'm going to take your word because I wasn't even born yet. :)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby redwill on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:19 pm

A very decent man in a very non-decent world.

RIP
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to NHR