Pitt Basketball 2012-13

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pitt Basketball 2012-13

Postby Rocco on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Nevermind, Dejan still carries Dixon's water, just in case.

http://triblive.com/sports/-topstories/ ... z2OEiQ1iGh

I'll say it again, unsavory as it might sound in this aftermath, but Dixon is not a good but a great coach. The university and our city are lucky to have him. ...
I can't pin this flop entirely on Dixon. Not when his point guard implodes. Not when Talib Zanna and Lamar Patterson hit one field goal each.

It's funny how this sort of thing always happens to Dixon's teams but it's not on Dixon.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:30 am

Jamie Dixon isn't going to USC.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:58 am

pfim wrote:Jamie Dixon isn't going to USC.

I'm not so sure this time. The last 3 or 4 years, when his name was rumored, I'd just blow it off. But this time it seems to have some more legs IMO. The only other time I thought he might leave was when he was talking to Arizona St 6 or 7 years ago.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:07 am

Dixon's 11-9 in the tourney. His teams have been a 3 seed three times, a 9 seed, a 5 seed, a 4 seed, a 1 seed twice, and an 8 seed. That's just sad. It's smart for Dixon to flee now because Pitt fans are starting to develop expectations and USC has none at all.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:Even then, the Big East schedule has become predictable. Beat the scrub teams while enduring a stupid loss. Beat Georgetown, UConn, and Syracuse because Pitt matches up well with them. Lose to Marquette, Notre Dame, and Louisville. Nova and Cincy are a toss up. Year after year its the same damn script.

I've been giving Dixon the benefit of the doubt, but it's at the point where you have to take a hard look at him. The players have changed, but the results largely have not.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:18 am

Dixon/Pitt hoops can sleep easy because for every year they come up short, they know their counterparts on the gridiron will be even more embarassing.
Last edited by King Sid the Great 87 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:19 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:Even then, the Big East schedule has become predictable. Beat the scrub teams while enduring a stupid loss. Beat Georgetown, UConn, and Syracuse because Pitt matches up well with them. Lose to Marquette, Notre Dame, and Louisville. Nova and Cincy are a toss up. Year after year its the same damn script.

Nova isn't really a tossup any longer- Pitt has won I believe the last 6 against them. The last game Pitt lost to Nova was the last one that mattered (2009 NCAA tourney), which seems to fit with Pitt in the Dixon era.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am

The BB gods have forever cursed the Pitt basketball team for not winning in '87-'88. When you have that much talent and choke, its a damn shame. It's too bad they were more concerned with individual stats and accomplishment, than playing as a team.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am

the wicked child wrote:

I've been giving Dixon the benefit of the doubt, but it's at the point where you have to take a hard look at him. The players have changed, but the results largely have not.

in that same vein, these past 3 or so years have pretty much changed the way that kenny the kangaroo has viewed dixon. his results, for better or worse, speak for themself. you cant deny that pitt has done good things in the regular season, and having the best record in the big east and whatnot does count for something. hes put guys in the nba and hes improved the recruiting.

but at the end of the day, the post season is what counts and pitt has failed miserably. again, his results speak for themself. kenny the kangaroo is done defending the pitt hoops failures. thats not to say that we all should try to run dixon out of town, but at this point, the notion that pitt needs to do whatever it takes to keep him at pitt is out the window.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:25 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
but at the end of the day, the post season is what counts and pitt has failed miserably. again, his results speak for themself. kenny the kangaroo is done defending the pitt hoops failures. thats not to say that we all should try to run dixon out of town, but at this point, the notion that pitt needs to do whatever it takes to keep him at pitt is out the window.

This I agree with 100%.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 am

newarenanow wrote:

I'm not so sure this time. The last 3 or 4 years, when his name was rumored, I'd just blow it off. But this time it seems to have some more legs IMO. The only other time I thought he might leave was when he was talking to Arizona St 6 or 7 years ago.

He could make USC what Pitt is now if everything falls right. It's practically the same job, except he doesn't have a UCLA in his backyard now.

People can say he's taken Pitt as far as he can, and perhaps that's true, but it doesn't have anything to do with the school, the administration or the support he gets. It has everything to do with his performance.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:28 am

pfim wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

He could make USC what Pitt is now if everything falls right. It's practically the same job, except he doesn't have a UCLA in his backyard now.

And he is from Burbank. Is his family still in Southern California?

I would imagine it is much easier to recruit a kid to Los Angeles than it is to Oakland, PA.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:31 am

Recruiting doesn't seem to be the issue.

He is from CA. He's also from NY, HI etc.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:42 am

pfim wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

People can say he's taken Pitt as far as he can, and perhaps that's true, but it doesn't have anything to do with the school, the administration or the support he gets. It has everything to do with his performance.

I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying, I think he may move on this time.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:38 am

newarenanow wrote:

I don't think that he leaves, but like you, I am less confident about that statement than I have been in the past. I remember that ASU drama clear as day. They even had it on the front page of their rivals site that Jamie was their next coach.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:46 am

Wow, does this all read as a careful what you wish for, grass is always greener thread
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:49 am

IanMoran wrote:Wow, does this all read as a careful what you wish for, grass is always greener thread

Definitely a legitimate point. They scary thing is that if Jamie were to leave, Pederson would be hiring the next guy. And we all know his track record for hiring coaches.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Grass is always greener? Are you trying to suggest it that Pitt has it good? Sure they're a legitimate basketball school. Thats about all you can say.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:35 pm

IanMoran wrote:Wow, does this all read as a careful what you wish for, grass is always greener thread

Sure, but Pitt under Dixon is nearing the definition of insanity.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Grass is always greener? Are you trying to suggest it that Pitt has it good? Sure they're a legitimate basketball school. Thats about all you can say.

Which it is for basically the first time in the program's existence for this extended period of time. It's no small feat.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:35 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:

Definitely a legitimate point. They scary thing is that if Jamie were to leave, Pederson would be hiring the next guy. And we all know his track record for hiring coaches.

Kenny the kangaroo hates the dreaded "accepting mediocrity" cliche, but in this case, its more like, at this point, dixon really does not have the leverage he once had. There is no promise that a new coach can take pitt to the next level. Pitt is no different than a program like wake forest, which dissapeared off the face of the earth after prosser passed away.

which is why kenny the kangaroo maintains that at this point, its not necessarily that dixon needs to go, its just that at this point hes not really in a situation where he can shake down pitt for more $$$ every time a pac-12 job opens up.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:37 pm

pfim wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Grass is always greener? Are you trying to suggest it that Pitt has it good? Sure they're a legitimate basketball school. Thats about all you can say.

Which it is for basically the first time in the program's existence for this extended period of time. It's no small feat.

Who cares. There is a ton of room for improvement. I see no reason for someone to suggest that Pitt fans should be satisfied for being known nationally...especially when they're known for being chokers when it actually matters.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
pfim wrote:

Who cares. There is a ton of room for improvement. I see no reason for someone to suggest that Pitt fans should be satisfied for being known nationally...especially when they're known for being chokers when it actually matters.

I'm not satisfied nor do I really care how people view the program nationally. I've lived through the Paul Evans' and Ralph Willard eras, both of which were known for choking much more than this era. Figuratively in the Evans era, perhaps literally in the Willard era with some of those delinquents.

So yes, I think Dixon has earned a bit of time to turn it around, which if you view last year's squad I think you can easily make a case that they're moving forward.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:54 pm

http://panthersprey.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... n-usc.html

The same very close Jamie Dixon confidante that tells me every year that Dixon is going nowhere, texted me late last night with the sentence "this time he could go".

When I asked if it was it "the ACC thing? His dad? Money? All of the above?", he replied with "What did you leave out? Declining attendance, etc.". I then asked if Pitt was considered a great job in college basketball and he said "Good/very good job...not great". This is in line with what others in the college basketball world have told me.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:58 pm

declining attendance?

Who the eff's fault is it that the attendance is declining?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR