Tragedy today at Pittsburgh Zoo

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Tragedy today at Pittsburgh Zoo

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:22 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:And my answer is 20% Mother / 80 % zoo.

Reason?

What killed the boy? The dogs. Who owns the dogs? The zoo.

Mother is responsible for broken legs. Zoo is responsible for the viscous mauling.

Nothing worse than being brutally attacked by a few quarts of Castrol GTX

That was pretty good haha.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:23 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:How are you supposed to foresee a mother dropping her child into a wild dog exhibit if it's never happened before anywhere?

Lets just put it like this. Say this was a pit of acid right next to an elementary school. Would it be acceptable for the owner of this pit of acid to have a 4 foot railing and no other safety measures, even if no one has ever fallen in?

One would assume people would be smart enough not to hang themselves over the fence and put themselves in danger.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:25 pm

I think that the mother dropping her kid was an accident, but the zoo needs to be prepared for "accidents". And, yes, stupid people. As I said, you need a full mesh there if people are looking at aggressive animals. I can't say that the zoo is without fault.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:27 pm

That's what the fence is for. The zoo shouldn't be liable for idiot mothers hanging their kids over the fence.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:28 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:How are you supposed to foresee a mother dropping her child into a wild dog exhibit if it's never happened before anywhere?

Lets just put it like this. Say this was a pit of acid right next to an elementary school. Would it be acceptable for the owner of this pit of acid to have a 4 foot railing and no other safety measures, even if no one has ever fallen in?

One would assume people would be smart enough not to hang themselves over the fence and put themselves in danger.

In an extraordinarily dangerous exhibit, frequented by young kids and unpredictable toddlers, I think it is perfectly reasonable that additional safety measures above and beyond a simple railing should be required.

Also, did the mother hang the kid completely over the railing, put the kids entire weight on the railing fully, or simply have his legs on the railing while holding on - and the unpredictable toddler leaped out because he saw a doggy. I would need more details on this to fully assess blame.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:30 pm

MRandall25 wrote:One would assume people would be smart enough not to hang themselves over the fence and put themselves in danger.

Unfortunately it's easier to assume they do hang themselves over railings and do put themselves in danger. They just have been lucky and haven't fallen in.

People are morons.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Negligence charges the jury with examining what was reasonable under the circumstances, as Shyster pointed out. Courts frequently look at what other similarly-situated defendants do. If everyone does A in a situation, and the defendant chooses B which leads to an injury, courts are more willing to find that choice B was unreasonable. On that point, I bet you could examine a lot of zoos around the country and find very few exhibits in which a child is exposed to animals 14 feet below with only a four-foot railing separates them. There is a strong argument, then, that the zoo is unreasonable (if that is indeed what the empirics show). Of course, it was also unreasonable to put your child in a position in which they could fall -- that's why a comparative negligence system tries to apportion relative fault.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:43 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:In an extraordinarily dangerous exhibit, frequented by young kids and unpredictable toddlers, I think it is perfectly reasonable that additional safety measures above and beyond a simple railing should be required.

Yeah, no doubt. How many times have you seen a young kid go crazy and start running around all over the place. Extra measures. I think you should go out of your way to provide safety. The missing mesh that probably costs a few bucks would have been good enough there. The zoo chose not to have it. I don't know what percentage of the blame goes where but, if this goes to court, it'll get interesting.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:And my answer is 20% Mother / 80 % zoo.

Reason?

What killed the boy? The dogs. Who owns the dogs? The zoo.

Mother is responsible for broken legs. Zoo is responsible for the viscous mauling.

Nothing worse than being brutally attacked by a few quarts of Castrol GTX

I just spit water everywhere. :lol:

What was the joke here b/c I clearly missed it (probably from another thread)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 pm

APK said viscous instead of vicious.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 pm

The mother was holding the kid on her hip (in one arm). They rounded that multiple-sided observation deck, and the boy was pounding on the glass as they proceeded around. When they went to the open side with no glass (the front) the boy pounded on air and slipped from his mother's grasp.

There was no kid being stood on the railing, the mother was just not holding the child tightly enough and went too close to the opening
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:41 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:The mother was holding the kid on her hip (in one arm). They rounded that multiple-sided observation deck, and the boy was pounding on the glass as they proceeded around. When they went to the open side with no glass (the front) the boy pounded on air and slipped from his mother's grasp.

There was no kid being stood on the railing, the mother was just not holding the child tightly enough and went too close to the opening

I hope every changes their tune about the mother a bit. Damn that makes this story that much worse.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Well, hopefully the innocence of the mother's conduct makes it easier for her to go on with her life after this. Received a letter from my daughter's daycare today when we picked her up giving information on where to make donations because this child went to one of the other locations of the daycare. Tough to even see that letter while picking up my 16 month old daughter and thinking about this.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:02 am

Mr. Colby wrote:The mother was holding the kid on her hip (in one arm). They rounded that multiple-sided observation deck, and the boy was pounding on the glass as they proceeded around. When they went to the open side with no glass (the front) the boy pounded on air and slipped from his mother's grasp.

Where is this from?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:06 am

MC had previously said his brother in law is related to the family (I believe).
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:15 am

It's from a family member
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby viva la ben on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 am

I have nothing but sympathy for the parents and extended family. Nobody should have to endure what they went through.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:27 am

That makes it that much more tragic.

Again, if that open part was covered like the rest. Sorry, but the zoo is not without fault here.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:35 am

Seriously, regardless of how it all happened, I can't imagine the pain those parents are going through.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:51 am

Ouch. That makes me feel even worse. Just so sad. I feel horrible.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:57 am

With a 14month old that likes to pound on the glass and wave to me when I am on the other side...I feel sick
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 pm

JeffDFD wrote:With a 14month old that likes to pound on the glass and wave to me when I am on the other side...I feel sick

I don't have a kid and that made me feel really sad.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:02 pm

JeffDFD wrote:With a 14month old that likes to pound on the glass and wave to me when I am on the other side...I feel sick

if you were on the other side of the glass, you'd have bigger things to worry about then your kid falling in.

/levity
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:21 pm

How quickly one's life can change.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Thu May 23, 2013 12:31 pm