Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Ravens 2012 v2.0

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Ravens 2012 v

Postby shmenguin on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 am

Troy Loney wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i don't know what it is about football, but i don't get offended about anything, really. i don't like the harbaughs simply because they're spazzy. and i hate spazzy people. but it's not like any singular act or anything football-related is upsetting.

it's weird because there are about a thousand things in a hockey game that can make steam come out of my ears, but with the NFL, anything goes. maybe it's because i think the league has become so incredibly vanilla that i'm just dying for something interesting to happen - even if it's otherwise appalling.

The only team that bothers me is the Ravens. They're basically the equivalent of the Flyers in the NHL. They're the toughest guys in the world after the whistle when the officiating is a joke. They've figured out the worst case scenario for them in these cases is for the ref to penalize both teams, but in most cases it's just the retaliator that gets it. I feel like this started with the plexiglass thing back in like 2004. There was a blatant cheap shot that sticks out in my mind when a Ravens corner stomped on Burress when he was on the ground. Now it manifests itself to pushing matches after every single running play in the game.

These things don't seem to happen to anyone but the Ravens...see the Eagles/Ravens issue from earlier this year.

i think the steelers and ravens actually have a lot of respect for each other, though. unlike the pens/flyers dynamic where they act like babies at all times.

and the true leaders of that team are pretty stand-up guys on the field. reed, lewis (remember - ON the field), boldin, rice...i like all of these guys. unlike the leaders of the flyers- who have always been turd ferguson.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:06 am

I thought pomp was going to explode when he couldn't get either of the "analysts" to agree with him that the Batch overthrow at the end of the half was detrimental.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:07 am

mac5155 wrote:I watched the show just cause i didnt change the channel, and i honestly feel bad for them though, they try and get decent sports talk going, then esther from the nursing home in plum calls in and says how chuck batch lifted everyone's spirits.

I think your talking about the nightly sports call, that's just a doomed presence, you know what your getting when you start taking calls from drunk steeler fans.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:08 am

Troy Loney wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on the the Pompeani, Nelson and Hoke postgame trio? Pomp sucks, Nelson is a goober and Hoke trips over his own words. Our high school morning news show was better quality than this.

Everything you hate about them is everything that I love about them. I kept last season's playoff postgame on my dvr for several months. Probably would have kept it forever if I didn't cancel cable/dvr.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jprolley on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 am

even baltimore writers are tired of harbaugh's whining culture

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/rave ... otogallery

A week ago, the Ravens' lack of discipline didn't cost them, but it did Sunday. Cach John Harbaugh needs to crack down on his team's whining. The Ravens spent a lot of time complaining to officials -- as did Harbaugh himself. Offensively, the Ravens had players open but couldn't execute. Defensively, the Steelers handled the Ravens' front seven in the second half, and that was enough to help get receivers open and allow QB Charlie Batch to find his rhythm.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:15 am

Troy Loney wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on the the Pompeani, Nelson and Hoke postgame trio? Pomp sucks, Nelson is a goober and Hoke trips over his own words. Our high school morning news show was better quality than this.

I like hearing mike tomlin's press conference right after the game, but not a fan of player interviews.

fyi~ i was home saturday, usually don't watch the pre night show, but all of them picked baltimore.
coach cowher picked the steelers.

Hoke is a clone for cowher!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:17 am

I agree with the sentiment that the Ravens are a semi-likeable team. Whenever we lose and the Ravens remain, I think I secretly cheer for them as a good representative of the AFC North and a hard-hitting enjoyable team to watch. But GOD do i hate them when we play them.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:21 am

TheHammer24 wrote:I agree with the sentiment that the Ravens are a semi-likeable team. Whenever we lose and the Ravens remain, I think I secretly cheer for them as a good representative of the AFC North and a hard-hitting enjoyable team to watch. But GOD do i hate them when we play them.

I always root for the Patriots when the Steelers go out in the AFC. I'm not sure why, but I could never stand the Peyton Manning led Colts.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:21 am

shafnutz05 wrote:OH MY GOD BATCH YOU **** SUCK. YOU SUCK

BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH BENCH BATCH

lololololol
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Wow...I am going to blow my brains out. That didn't just happen. That seriously didn't just happen. Jesus **** Christ Sanders, you have got to be **** kidding me. Good Jesus Christ almighty

I forgot what its like to be in a Steelers GDT with shad.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand dee dee dee dee that's all folks

YES! The "this game is over" post.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:23 am

jprolley wrote:even baltimore writers are tired of harbaugh's whining culture

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/rave ... otogallery

A week ago, the Ravens' lack of discipline didn't cost them, but it did Sunday. Cach John Harbaugh needs to crack down on his team's whining. The Ravens spent a lot of time complaining to officials -- as did Harbaugh himself. Offensively, the Ravens had players open but couldn't execute. Defensively, the Steelers handled the Ravens' front seven in the second half, and that was enough to help get receivers open and allow QB Charlie Batch to find his rhythm.

Take that with a grain of salt. Mike Preston pretty much nitpicks the ravens to death after every game, and he's even more aggressive after a loss. He is intentionally negative to draw attention to himself.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 am

TheHammer24 wrote:I agree with the sentiment that the Ravens are a semi-likeable team. Whenever we lose and the Ravens remain, I think I secretly cheer for them as a good representative of the AFC North and a hard-hitting enjoyable team to watch. But GOD do i hate them when we play them.

The Ravens are not a semi-likeable team at all. Ray-Ray and his dance and jumping on piles to inflate tackle numbers, Ray Rice is a cheap-shot waiting to happen, the constant and non-stop whining to officials, and Harbaugh genetic **** = the worst.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:33 am

slappybrown wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Wow...I am going to blow my brains out. That didn't just happen. That seriously didn't just happen. Jesus **** Christ Sanders, you have got to be **** kidding me. Good Jesus Christ almighty

I forgot what its like to be in a Steelers GDT with shad.

I've always felt Shad's GDT posts are just a slight exaggeration of his standard posting style.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 am

Troy Loney wrote:

I always root for the Patriots when the Steelers go out in the AFC. I'm not sure why, but I could never stand the Peyton Manning led Colts.

I like Billicheck because he's a genius. I always root for the Pats.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 am

Someone should compile Shad's posts for this game. They are a treat.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:48 am

he has nearly 4 pages of them. and you guys say I spam the board :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 am

mac5155 wrote:he has nearly 4 pages of them. and you guys say I spam the board :pop:

It's not an either/or :pop:
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 am

:lol:
Troy Loney wrote:
mac5155 wrote:he has nearly 4 pages of them. and you guys say I spam the board :pop:

It's not an either/or :pop:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:56 am

Any update on Ike?

I'm really amazed by the way the secondary is playing this year - I noticed early on in this game, for the most part - only perfect passes were being completed. Last year, it seemed that every time I saw the ball in the air, I just expected the WR to catch it. This season, so many of those are being batted down, it's awesome.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:57 am

Steve wrote:Any update on Ike?

I'm really amazed by the way the secondary is playing this year - I noticed early on in this game, for the most part - only perfect passes were being completed. Last year, it seemed that every time I saw the ball in the air, I just expected the WR to catch it. This season, so many of those are being batted down, it's awesome.

Last i heard was fibula injury, 4-6 weeks.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 am

They seem to be playing tighter to WR this year than last year. Gay usually had a 5-10 yd cushion versus this year when the CBs seem to either jam or are quicker at play recognition.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 am

slappybrown wrote:

The Ravens are not a semi-likeable team at all. Ray-Ray and his dance and jumping on piles to inflate tackle numbers, Ray Rice is a cheap-shot waiting to happen, the constant and non-stop whining to officials, and Harbaugh genetic **** = the worst.

I give Lewis credit - he's slowing down - but he makes everyone around him better. For example, I doubt any of their players are goofing around in the weight room or film room when he's in there - and I'm also guessing, he's always in one or the other.

Harbaugh is annoying - that stupid look he has on his face every time a penalty is called against his team. He's a good coach - but I don't like that clown haha.
Last edited by Steve on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:00 pm

Rylan wrote:They seem to be playing tighter to WR this year than last year. Gay usually had a 5-10 yd cushion versus this year when the CBs seem to either jam or are quicker at play recognition.

The defense (LeBeau) has made an adjustment this year. They have finally realized that an offense CAN 5-10 yard pass you all the way down the field and score anymore. You have big physical corners who can disrupt timing so you need to take advantage of them. Losing Ike could be huge but Lewis and Allen have played very well this year. Time to see what Brown can bring too.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Steve wrote:Any update on Ike?

I completely agree with you. But I want to add that we're talking about a marked improvement to last year's #1 pass defense in the league.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR