Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Ravens 2012 v2.0

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Ravens 2012 v

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:10 pm

I don't deny that. Everyone stated the deep game was essential to the offense when in fact Todd Haley does not usually do the deep game. His offense is capable of making Wallace and Brown and Sanders into the best overall WR corp in football. But, Wallace is absolutely petrified to get hit/go over the middle and with that he wastes away on the sideline. A slant to Wallace has potential to make Wallace rich. Unfortunately he only thinks catching a wide open streak will make him rich I guess.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:16 pm

Wallace's numbers would be better if he didn't drop crucial passes for first downs, fail to come back to the ball, fail to get his feet in bounds, fail to even attempt to break up interceptions, etc that have plagued his game this season. His speed may be great, but that is his only asset, really. Even with Ben in there, you can't just lob the ball up all the time. And it's not like Wallace is a Randy Moss that is going to fight for the ball... he's basically only good when he's able to outrun the defenders.

He adds a dimension to the offense that makes it more dangerous, but I can't see ever trusting him to be your main guy. There's no way he's going to get paid the money he is looking for unless it's by a crappy team looking to pick up a name. While contenders might look at his speed as a weapon, they probably are also smart enough to see he is no Larry Fitzgerald either.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:18 pm

That pretty much summed up my thoughts on Wallace last year TWC.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Rocco wrote:Wallace has been a non-factor with BRoeth out.

He makes himself a non-factor. He has to do more than run straight up the sideline. I feel like he is
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Rylan wrote:I don't deny that. Everyone stated the deep game was essential to the offense when in fact Todd Haley does not usually do the deep game. His offense is capable of making Wallace and Brown and Sanders into the best overall WR corp in football. But, Wallace is absolutely petrified to get hit/go over the middle and with that he wastes away on the sideline. A slant to Wallace has potential to make Wallace rich. Unfortunately he only thinks catching a wide open streak will make him rich I guess.

Yes, because the offense has been a roaring success these last few weeks without the threat of a deep ball.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:24 pm

Rocco wrote:
Rylan wrote:I don't deny that. Everyone stated the deep game was essential to the offense when in fact Todd Haley does not usually do the deep game. His offense is capable of making Wallace and Brown and Sanders into the best overall WR corp in football. But, Wallace is absolutely petrified to get hit/go over the middle and with that he wastes away on the sideline. A slant to Wallace has potential to make Wallace rich. Unfortunately he only thinks catching a wide open streak will make him rich I guess.

Yes, because the offense has been a roaring success these last few weeks without the threat of a deep ball.

No one is going to argue that this offense needs BRoeth to succeed. However, playing with a back-up doesn't excuse lack of effort and concentration. He isn't even making the plays that are there for him with the back-ups. If he was making every catch and doing his best to make every play I could look past his numbers. He's basically been sulking all year.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:27 pm

i guess the argument is whether or not wallace needs to adjust his game to suit the offence, or the offence needs to ajdust it's game to suit mike wallace.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:29 pm

Froggy wrote:i guess the argument is whether or not wallace needs to adjust his game to suit the offence, or the offence needs to ajdust it's game to suit mike wallace.

We have an offense designed around our franchise QB. I'll take a stab and say its more important to center the offense around your potential HOF QB rather than your one-trick-pony WR. If Mike Wallace could find his intestinal fortitude he could put up huge numbers turning slants and crossings into 40 yard gains.
Last edited by joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:30 pm

The Steelers take shots down field all the time. The only guy that really catches the deep ball is Wallace. Brown doesn't know how to get the ball on deep patterns, he runs, he looks, he's no where near where he should be. Sanders could step into that role but we haven't seen it yet and he's not scared to go anywhere on the field. Wallace is the only guy on this team that can and has run the deep post effectively. None of the others can. The Steelers take plenty of shots unfortunately Wallace is the only guy that makes something of them. I don't think Wallace deserves big money but if they Steelers could get him for Brown money I'd be happy. Other than that let him walk.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:31 pm

joopen wrote:

He makes himself a non-factor. He has to do more than run straight up the sideline. I feel like he is

I realize stats and accuracy in posts are things not appreciated here, but I'll try anyway.

First 8 games: 39 catches, 525 yards, 13.5 yards/catch
Last 4 games: 13 catches, 91 yards, 7 yards/catch

Wallace, like most receivers, depends on his QB to be effective. Yes, Wallace is soft, and he gives up routes, but he's a weapon, and I can think of at least one game off the top of my head where he turned the game around with a route up the middle.

Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:32 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:The Steelers take shots down field all the time. The only guy that really catches the deep ball is Wallace. Brown doesn't know how to get the ball on deep patterns, he runs, he looks, he's no where near where he should be. Sanders could step into that role but we haven't seen it yet and he's not scared to go anywhere on the field. Wallace is the only guy on this team that can and has run the deep post effectively. None of the others can. The Steelers take plenty of shots unfortunately Wallace is the only guy that makes something of them. I don't think Wallace deserves big money but if they Steelers could get him for Brown money I'd be happy. Other than that let him walk.

I think he wants out. Looking into some of his comments, I would make an arguement he is kind of throwing Haley under the bus for his own performance.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:32 pm

joopen wrote:
Froggy wrote:i guess the argument is whether or not wallace needs to adjust his game to suit the offence, or the offence needs to ajdust it's game to suit mike wallace.

We have an offense designed around our franchise QB. I'll take a stab and say its more important to center the offense around your potential HOF QB rather than your one-trick-pony WR.

i would agree whole-heartedly. i think that regardless of what to brings to the table, it's been shown that we don't need him to have a successful offense. and i'm not buying his value as a distraction as a deep threat with this offense, either. if he is too much of a coward to play this system, he is not worth the premium price tag he will command. end of story.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:33 pm

i can't wait for wallace to be a brown next year
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Rocco wrote:
joopen wrote:

I realize stats and accuracy in posts are things not appreciated here, but I'll try anyway.

Wallace, like most receivers, depends on his QB to be effective. Yes, Wallace is soft, and he gives up routes, but he's a weapon, and I can think of at least one game off the top of my head where he turned the game around with a route up the middle.

No one is going to argue that this offense needs BRoeth to succeed. However, playing with a back-up doesn't excuse lack of effort and concentration. He isn't even making the plays that are there for him with the back-ups. If he was making every catch and doing his best to make every play I could look past his numbers.

So his play has been acceptable this year to you?
Last edited by joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Rocco wrote:

I understand that but Wallace has dropped several catchable balls and half-assed several other attempts.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Wallace is an absolute priss and just needs to go. He has terrible skills as a wide receiver, and world class speed. Renaldo Nehemiah was a similar receiver. If he ran by everyone he looked amazing, but he never got the subtlties of actually catching passes coming out of breaks, high-pointing balls and varying his speed.

Add to that the fact that this guy actually held out, believing he is an "elite" receiver and you have a guy perfect for the Bengals or Browns.

His toughness is suspect, his hands are suspect, his head is suspect and his mouth is suspect.

When the Steelers needed someone to step up and make plays for their backup QBs, Sanders was the receiver (and then Brown after his return) who did it. Wallace continued to run away from balls and then look exasperated because he didn't have the ball thrown perfectly. Last week, he actually dropped a perfect pass that would have been a big gain.

He has never learned to run with his upper body under control. He is fast as ****, but that is the reason that he cannot adjust, because he is so stiff in his hips and torso when he runs. Contrast that with Sanders and Brown, who run with complete control through their torso and thus have soft hands coming out of breaks and make amazing adjustments to the ball.

I hate this clown. Can't wait for him to leave.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Skeets Wallace?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 pm

columbia wrote:Skeets Wallace?

Skeet skeet skeet "lil Jon" Wallace. He's gettin' crunk with Santonio in NY next year.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:53 pm

I'd still welcome Wallace next year as a #2 WR. But he won't settle for #2 money, so it doesn't really matter.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm

joopen wrote:
Rocco wrote:

No one is going to argue that this offense needs BRoeth to succeed. However, playing with a back-up doesn't excuse lack of effort and concentration. He isn't even making the plays that are there for him with the back-ups. If he was making every catch and doing his best to make every play I could look past his numbers. He's basically been sulking all year.

Wallace was adjusting his game and taking under routes, but when the threat of the deep ball isn't there because of limitations of the QB, then they don't need to account for it and the deep threat receiver becomes really limited when the defense knows the threat of getting blown by off the line is gone.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:14 pm

viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Ryan Clark would end Wallace if Wallace goes to an AFC North opponent.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
joopen wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Wallace was adjusting his game and taking under routes, but when the threat of the deep ball isn't there because of limitations of the QB, then they don't need to account for it and the deep threat receiver becomes really limited when the defense knows the threat of getting blown by off the line is gone.

Once again, its not about his numbers. Its about attitude and effort. I don't expect the big plays when Ben is out but I do expect you to catch the ball when it hits you in the hands. I expect you to understand the concept of coming back to the ball. I expect your effort level to be there. I don't want to hear you whine and complain about not getting the ball enough when you are in fact getting targeted MORE than the previous year.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby joopen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:42 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Ryan Clark would end Wallace if Wallace goes to an AFC North opponent.

That takes into account a very large and unlikely assumption that Wallace would go anywhere near where Ryan Clark is.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:14 pm

Rocco wrote:
joopen wrote:

Did you call on the power of Draftnik? 8-)
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR