12-12-12 concert

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 12-12-12 concert

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:20 am

JS© wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Bon Jovi is looking a bit like Chris Jericho these days or is it the other way around?

haha. Couldnt find your comment to me from earlier but no I dont follow you. I have friends just as dumb :)

But also after I made fun of said friends I saw highlights of Jovi and admittedly first thought Y2J
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:25 am

I tried finding a pic from google to compare the two but nothing looked right.

So I waited up for three minutes of a Nirvana reunion, and I'm somehow gonna run on 4 hrs sleep tonight? This will be fun. I fully expect to be an hour late tomorrow.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:34 am

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/dave-groh ... ome-slack/

Quote:
Dave Grohl has posted the cryptic message ‘Cut Me Some Slack’ in ransom letter style via his Sound City Movie Twitter Account along with the above image of Grohl smiling away with former Nirvana bandmates Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear.

Even Paul McCartney, who is heavily rumoured to perform with the reforming Nirvana and may have even co-written a new song with the 90′s Grunge act, has gotten in on the act.

“…any ideas what Dave Grohl and friends are spelling out over @soundcitymovie ?? #121212Concert”, McCartney tweeted

Before any of the letters were posted Sound City Movie tweeted, “We have something very special for you tonight NYC…”

Is ‘Cut Me Some Slack’ the title of the new song? Will tonight simply be McCartney, Grohl and co onstage together? Or will we see McCartney filling in for Cobain and Grohl, thumping the tom-toms for a Nirvana reunion?

UPDATE: Pat Smear, Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl form Nirvana reunion and debut new song sung and co-written by Paul McCartney titled Cut Me Some Slack
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:52 am

I heard the song. It was OK. But everything is kind of meh when your riding on 4 hours sleep.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 am

I might need to give it another listen or two. I can't even remember what the song sounded like.

Is there any truth that Grohl got jobbed out his time slot because they were running so late? Heard somebody say that this morning, but I can't find anything online reporting it.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:44 am

viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:49 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:I heard the song. It was OK. But everything is kind of meh when your riding on 4 hours sleep.

I would have enjoyed it if McCartney hadn't been singing the lead. He has and always will be my least favorite Beatle.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:56 am

Watched the whole thing. In no particular order, I enjoyed

Springsteen
    Bon Jovi's duets with Springsteen (but not Bon Jovi)
    Michael Stipe and Chris Martin
    Billy Joel
    Kanye West (yes, I liked it)
    Seeing Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear together (would have loved it if there were no Sir Paul)
    The Who. Except when Roger Daltrey opened his shirt.

And an observation. Although roughly the same age, the Stones seem to have slowed all their up tempo songs down just a bit, while the Who just powered through their classics like it was 1967. Anyone else notice that?
Last edited by llipgh2 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:59 am

Pete still windmills like he did 40 years ago
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ajh2298 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 am

JS© wrote:I might need to give it another listen or two. I can't even remember what the song sounded like.

Is there any truth that Grohl got jobbed out his time slot because they were running so late? Heard somebody say that this morning, but I can't find anything online reporting it.

From what I heard Grohl was supposed to do "Band on the Run" with Sir Paul after the Nirvana stuff but thats what got cut.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:40 am

I know conventional wisdom is that you open with your second best act and close with your strongest or most anticipated........ but that presumes that the stuff in between is not filled with Kanye.

Talking to a few people at work about this concert, and also judging from the comments here, it seems that the main reason people wanted to watch this thing was the Nirvana reunion and Grohl/McCartney. Yet, because of early bloat, that's what got cut. Brilliant!

Whoever produced the event should not be allowed near one of these things again.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 am

Its the stage managers job to keep the bands on time. He keeps the schedule and tells them when they need to stop. Remember when Billie Joe flipped out?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:32 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I heard the song. It was OK. But everything is kind of meh when your riding on 4 hours sleep.

I loved the song. Has a sort of Helter Skelter feel to it.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:59 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Its the stage managers job to keep the bands on time. He keeps the schedule and tells them when they need to stop. Remember when Billie Joe flipped out?

Most of these guys know it's a fund raiser and that it's a limited set. What Billie Joe was part of was an iheartradio cashgrab. Last night's show was a set full of pros who are up there to do a handful of songs - or even less if you're the Stones. They know what they're up against. You don't give them a one minute sign. For those with a half hour set, give them a notice at 7-8 minutes, which give them their final song and time for one more song.

The Billie Joe thing is a one-off thing in my opinion. I can't see Springsteen or Daltrey doing that. Ditto the dude from Coldplay. Even the Stones and The Who might say we're gonna do one more and that's it. I would say that Kanye would be the only one capable of doing it, and it's more about him being a n00b (when compared to most of the other acts) and looking for attention than anything.
Last edited by JS© on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stopper40 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:16 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Watched the whole thing. In no particular order, I enjoyed

Although roughly the same age, the Stones seem to have slowed all their up tempo songs down just a bit, while the Who just powered through their classics like it was 1967. Anyone else notice that?

Daltrey didn't need to open his shirt. I was surprised they did Bell Boy, especially with the Keith Moon parts. I'm betting there were a lot of people watching saying " who the heck is that". But overall I thought they were, by far, the best act of the night.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:44 pm

stopper40 wrote:
Daltrey didn't need to open his shirt. I was surprised they did Bell Boy, especially with the Keith Moon parts. I'm betting there were a lot of people watching saying " who the heck is that". But overall I thought they were, by far, the best act of the night.

I thought that was great.

Which reminds me, what was with Brian Williams and the totally unnecessary "Uncle Keith Moon, Uncle Roger Daltrey" comment? Tried too hard to make an inside joke and it failed big time.

When he was sitting by James Gandolfini, I thought Tony S was going to punch Brian Williams in the face. He looked like he wanted to. I wish he would have.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Steve Buscemi looked so fragile. I though those "new yawkers" were going to snap him in half with each back slap.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stopper40 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:04 pm

llipgh2 wrote:When he was sitting by James Gandolfini, I thought Tony S was going to punch Brian Williams in the face. He looked like he wanted to. I wish he would have.

that would've been the best part of the night.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:14 pm

:thumb:
paul doing his part for NHL awareness! ;)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:38 pm

So did anyone else notice Pete Townshend put on sunglasses during Bell Boy?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:43 pm

JS© wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Its the stage managers job to keep the bands on time. He keeps the schedule and tells them when they need to stop. Remember when Billie Joe flipped out?

Most of these guys know it's a fund raiser and that it's a limited set. What Billie Joe was part of was an iheartradio cashgrab. Last night's show was a set full of pros who are up there to do a handful of songs - or even less if you're the Stones. They know what they're up against. You don't give them a one minute sign. For those with a half hour set, give them a notice at 7-8 minutes, which give them their final song and time for one more song.

The Billie Joe thing is a one-off thing in my opinion. I can't see Springsteen or Daltrey doing that. Ditto the dude from Coldplay. Even the Stones and The Who might say we're gonna do one more and that's it. I would say that Kanye would be the only one capable of doing it, and it's more about him being a n00b (when compared to most of the other acts) and looking for attention than anything.

Greenday's set at the iheartradio thing was not cut short, and they should have known they were at the end of their set. Billie Joe booked himself into rehab like the next day after it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ajh2298 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:13 pm

Kind of wish Billy Joel would have only done stuff from the 80's. That way somebody from the crowd could have yelled "'80s Billy Joel doo-wop sucks!".
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Ben Klingston wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:Watching on DVR delay. Yeah, Roger Daltrey's voice was much better this past Saturday. They played another show between that one and this one, so maybe that has done him in.

Still love those guys, though. Have been happily revisiting Live at Leeds and Who's Next the past few days.

If it is anything like the Quadrophenia show from Pittsburgh, it took him about 3 or 4 songs to get the pipes warmed up... the first few were pretty bad but his primal screams were pretty killer by 3/4 of the way through the show. Not sure why can't warm up more before coming out, but I'm guessing the same issues here.

At the Philly show, we in our group high-fived each other when old Roger nailed the scream in "We Won't Be Fooled Again." It really was awesome. :lol:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:57 pm

penny lane wrote:Image

penny, I knew you'd be up for Sir Paul! I had signed off to go to bed, and I ended up coming back out to watch. I was surprised he did a couple tunes from Band on the Run.

I enjoyed the Nirvana reunion; they and Paul looked genuinely happy to be on the same stage.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:27 pm

penny lane wrote:
Spoiler:

:thumb: Paul had said Mayor Luke gave him the Pens sticker after his first show to open the CEC. He showed it off and commented on it during the second CEC show on 08-19-10.

Lt. Dish wrote:I was surprised he did a couple tunes from Band on the Run.

Having seen them do Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five in Pittsburgh, I wasn't surprised. But I was certainly glad to see it again. :D
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR