Sandy Hook Tragedy

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby mac5155 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:05 pm

There is a post on Facebook detailing how Obama was fake crying cause tears were coming from the side of his eyes.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:08 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Just found out I have a bit of a remote connection to this tragic event.

The last few years I've spent part of my winter in Key West. One of the couples I've made pretty good friends with come down from CT every winter and stay a few doors from the condo I rent.

It turns out they're from Newtown. They also have Grandkids that are exactly in this age category.

I believe that their Grandkids attend parochial school so they wouldn't have been at Sandy Hook, but I don't know for sure.

I don't want to call them and ask, it seems to crass, so I'm waiting for the names to be released and praying that I don't recognize any as being my friends Grandkids.

This sucks.

Update: Spoke to my friends this AM, their family was untouched, although they have multiple connections to families of those who lost teachers and children. Very very sad.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby JS© on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Media and entertainment is a direct function of the people, news wouldn't be obnoxious if that's not what we wanted and what we watched. I see a narrative developing that's expressing more irritation at the news and media as a result of this. That's as misguided as a blanket statement about gun laws.

I noticed CNN made it a point not to mention the shooter's name during last night's shows. I doubt this will be a deterrent, but I do like the gesture of not giving this kid any more fame than he was seeking.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:17 pm

I think it was CNN covering themselves after falsely accusing the brother of the killings.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Can't wait to hear the possible motive.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Can't wait to hear the possible motive.

CNN said he had some sort of altercation earlier in the week with 4 school officials. 3 of whom were killed. Possibly relating to entrance to the building.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 pm

@nycsouthpaw
Wrongly reported so far: shooter ID, connection to school, fate of father, location of mother's death, method of entry, weapons employed.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:
@nycsouthpaw
Wrongly reported so far: shooter ID, connection to school, fate of father, location of mother's death, method of entry, weapons employed.

You want the media to be accurate? Unbiased?

I want Santa to bring me a a Lamborghini, but it ain't gonna happen.

(seriously, I'm a bit miffed at the quality of reporting on this issue as well)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:32 pm

See me in the PDT!!
Last edited by TheHammer24 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:34 pm

How many legal firearms do you think are used in crimes in your average U.S city? What does a firearm cost on the street?
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:37 pm

Last edited by TheHammer24 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:40 pm

Take it to the PDT.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:45 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Take it to the PDT.

+1
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:02 pm

But everything I say is so profound!!!!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:26 pm

The gunman who murdered 20 elementary-school students in Newtown, Conn. shot some of the children as many as 11 times — leaving his little victims with wounds the state medical examiner today called "devastating."
Chief Medical Examiner H. Wayne Carver II said all of the children killed in yesterday's massacre were shot more than once, and most were first-graders. Two of the seven children he examined were shot at close range.
ABC NewsAdam LanzaAll of the children were shot with a "long rifle," that was one of three weapons madman Adam Lanza, 20, was armed with when he drove to Sandy Hook Elementary School and carried out his killing spree yesterday.

Authorities have released the names of the 26 people gunned down in a rampage at a Connecticut elementary school. Of the 20 children who were shot to death, eight were boys and 12 were girls ages 6 or 7. All six adults killed at the school were women
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Poor kids. Hopefully it was an instant death with no fear.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:36 pm

mac5155 wrote:There is a post on Facebook detailing how Obama was fake crying cause tears were coming from the side of his eyes.

Good to see some people have their priorities straight. :face:

I'm not intending to make a political statement at all. I find the inappropriateness, tone-deafness, and absurdity to be appalling, no matter the subject of the FB post.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
mac5155 wrote:There is a post on Facebook detailing how Obama was fake crying cause tears were coming from the side of his eyes.

Good to see some people have their priorities straight. :face:

I'm not intending to make a political statement at all. I find the inappropriateness, tone-deafness, and absurdity to be appalling, no matter the subject of the FB post.

im as anti obama as anyone, and even i found it extremely shallow and pedantic.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Rylan wrote:Poor kids. Hopefully it was an instant death with no fear.

As sad as it is to agree with something like this. Yeah....here's hoping.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:34 pm

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations­, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

Anyone want to take a gander at who said this?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby obhave on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:36 pm

I have a friend at college who's family lives in that town and who also has a brother that goes to that school (he is safe). Yesterday was difficult. My thoughts and prayers are with the family's of those killed, the children who lived through the tragedy, and the community.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ajh2298 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:45 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations­, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem."

Anyone want to take a gander at who said this?

God a.k.a. Morgan Freeman
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Do people actually think Morgan freeman said that? Really? That's about the one millionth Facebook hoax involving him
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:02 pm

llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Lots of 2006 birthdays in that list. My son is a 2006 birthday...
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR