Sandy Hook Tragedy

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ulf on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Maybe these weirdos played violent video games because they were crazy.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Yeah, it's incredible to me that the media still fixates on violent video games. Apparently, there were a TON of angry mob-type posts on the Mass Effect 3 webpage screaming that "I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOUR GAMES HAVE CAUSED!!!"

It's just patently ridiculous. Millions of American teenagers and adults play violent video games. It's so devoid of logic or common sense it's painful.

Same as with anything else...the people that are mentally affected by Call of Duty are the people that are predisposed to homicidal tendencies anyway.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:29 pm

I understand the need for a reason and for something to blame. But, there's only one thing/person to blame here.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Pretty chilling column from a mother with a child that has similar mental issues. I'll be honest, I'd be terrified too

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-mental-illness-conversation_n_2311009.html
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:34 pm

I posted the article to show the timeline and more importantly to show what those poor kids went through.

I don't buy the violent video game theory, but I got past that.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:35 pm

llipgh2 wrote:I posted the article to show the timeline and more importantly to show what those poor kids went through.

I don't buy the violent video game theory, but I got past that.

I agree. I apologize for taking the focus off of that.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Mental illness like this is such a huge part of the equation. (In reference to Shad' s link).
Last edited by llipgh2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:38 pm

http://news.msn.com/us/ind-man-with-47- ... at#tscptmf

Does this **** happen every day and we only hear about it when something big happens or is there just a sudden influx of people ready to shoot up schools since the psychos just saw it happen on TV?

Between this and the Oklahoma one, that's 2 more foiled threats in 2 days.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:15 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12 ... ing-weeks/
The pandering Dem **** aren't waiting until the bodies are cold to play politics
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ulf on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:17 pm

The Associated Press ‏@AP
Worshippers hurriedly leave a church in Newtown, Conn., saying there was a bomb threat: http://apne.ws/TobvNF -RAS
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:28 pm

ulf wrote:The Associated Press ‏@AP
Worshippers hurriedly leave a church in Newtown, Conn., saying there was a bomb threat: http://apne.ws/TobvNF -RAS

:cry:
It's not clear if there actually was a threat or if, like many tragedies, whether it was a hoax or the result of a community on edge.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Geezer wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/16/durbin-says-will-reopen-capitol-hill-debate-on-gun-rights-in-coming-weeks/
The pandering Dem **** aren't waiting until the bodies are cold to play politics

Political Thread.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:45 pm

penny lane wrote:
ulf wrote:The Associated Press ‏@AP

:cry:
It's not clear if there actually was a threat or if, like many tragedies, whether it was a hoax or the result of a community on edge.

Obama is supposed to speak at the church tonight. I'm guessing that had a lot to do with it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:55 pm

People post and repost the stupidest **** on FB when these kinds of things happen. I swear they don't pay attention to what they are saying or what it means as long is it vaguely follows their own political/religious/moral/whatever views. I won't get into any specific ones b/c this ins't the political thread, but damn people... read what you are posting before you post.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Geezer wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/16/durbin-says-will-reopen-capitol-hill-debate-on-gun-rights-in-coming-weeks/

No disrespect meant, but that should go to the PDT. But please consider that merely reopening a debate isn't "pandering" or "playing politics" inasmuch as it's simply doing their job in responding to vociferous appeals from constituents. JMO, and I'll stop there.

The mental illness component is a critical one. I'd like to learn more about how individuals with personality or mood disorders or any of the conditions mentioned in the HuffPo column react to violent video games, music, etc., compared to those without certain disorders. I'd like to know if some individuals with certain mental illnesses can come to (or be predisposed to) believe that violence on the level of opening fire at an elementary school is the way to express dissatisfaction and to handle situations. I'm rather uneducated about mental illness beyond depression and anxiety disorders and am currently committed to learning more about autism.

As a teacher, I've been thinking about how I might handle a situation like that which occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary. All I can come up with is "the best I can, whatever that is."
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:03 pm

bhaw wrote:People post and repost the stupidest **** on FB when these kinds of things happen. I swear they don't pay attention to what they are saying or what it means as long is it vaguely follows their own political/religious/moral/whatever views. I won't get into any specific ones b/c this ins't the political thread, but damn people... read what you are posting before you post.

You the old saying, "Opinions are like ***holes..." Now everyone has the means to fart in everyone else's general direction.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:13 pm

so there are reports about how this guy had aspergers and was a quiet loner. meanwhile, the police are saying he was extremely accurate with his shooting, which implies that he has a history with guns (this isn't a political gun post). now...if this is all correct, it seems like the combination of all this may have been a red flag, doesn't it? i'm not judging his parents, but hopefully other people can learn from this, to connect the dots a little.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:20 pm

shmenguin wrote:so there are reports about how this guy had aspergers and was a quiet loner. meanwhile, the police are saying he was extremely accurate with his shooting, which implies that he has a history with guns (this isn't a political gun post). now...if this is all correct, it seems like the combination of all this may have been a red flag, doesn't it? i'm not judging his parents, but hopefully other people can learn from this, to connect the dots a little.

I thought the same thing.

From what I've read, the mother supposedly told friends she and the kids went to shooting ranges every week, and they were all excellent shots.

People with Asperger's have the potential to be extremely violent. Maybe she thought if her son understood the power of guns he wouldn't use them even when violent? Who knows?
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:31 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:so there are reports about how this guy had aspergers and was a quiet loner. meanwhile, the police are saying he was extremely accurate with his shooting, which implies that he has a history with guns (this isn't a political gun post). now...if this is all correct, it seems like the combination of all this may have been a red flag, doesn't it? i'm not judging his parents, but hopefully other people can learn from this, to connect the dots a little.

I thought the same thing.

From what I've read, the mother supposedly told friends she and the kids went to shooting ranges every week, and they were all excellent shots.

People with Asperger's have the potential to be extremely violent. Maybe she thought if her son understood the power of guns he wouldn't use them even when violent? Who knows?

That's not really true about people with Aspergers. There hasn't been a clear connection found between Aspergers and violence. The characteristics are generally extreme shyness and anxiety; awkwardness socially. There are some kids diagnosed with autism who have violent tendencies, but they tend to be quick reactionary outbursts, not something like a planned attack.
MWB
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Anonymous vs. Westboro Baptist Church members on twitter. Anon making them look foolish.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:37 pm

I don't like either group.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Rylan wrote:I don't like either group.

I got lots of respect for Anon, they do a lot of dumb stuff but at the same time their coverage of tragic events like this and the New York floods was really good and them putting together counter protests against the WBC's protests are great.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:50 pm

They are too self-important anymore. They have become what they despised.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:51 pm

MWB wrote:
That's not really true about people with Aspergers. There hasn't been a clear connection found between Aspergers and violence. The characteristics are generally extreme shyness and anxiety; awkwardness socially. There are some kids diagnosed with autism who have violent tendencies, but they tend to be quick reactionary outbursts, not something like a planned attack.

My ex-brother in law was diagnosed with borderline Asperger's later in life. He has some of the classic symptoms. He, like many with the disorder, is incredibly intelligent. And he can be extremely violent. And capable of planning it.

That's why I said potentially. Are all Asperger's patients like this? No. But some are. Which makes diagnosing and treating it so difficult.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR