Sandy Hook Tragedy

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby MWB on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Was his violence connected to his Aspergers? A lot of people are capable of being violent. I'm not trying to be argumentative, it just goes against the research and my personal experience working with kids who have Aspergers. I'd hate for people to think that because a persone has Aspergers they are more inclined to commit an act like this, because I don't believe that's true.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why Not Us on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:48 pm

:thumb:
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:11 pm

MWB wrote:Was his violence connected to his Aspergers? A lot of people are capable of being violent. I'm not trying to be argumentative, it just goes against the research and my personal experience working with kids who have Aspergers. I'd hate for people to think that because a persone has Aspergers they are more inclined to commit an act like this, because I don't believe that's true.

I'm sure there are contributing factors, possible additional mental illnesses. But none have been diagnosed. Yet.

I'm thinking Adam Lanza may have had more than Asperger's as well. Or may have been misdiagnosed.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:21 pm

pittsports87 wrote:
Rylan wrote:I don't like either group.

I got lots of respect for Anon, they do a lot of dumb stuff but at the same time their coverage of tragic events like this and the New York floods was really good and them putting together counter protests against the WBC's protests are great.

Please don't start me on all of the collateral damage Anonymous has caused. Often times they start out with a good premise, but their lack of organization and complete disregard for laws in an "the ends justifys the means" approach, makes them totally repugnant.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby canaan on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Most of Anonymous is independent hacking with no premise to organize or plan. The people that hack just claim their acts under the idea of what anonymous is about.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:47 pm

canaan wrote:Most of Anonymous is independent hacking with no premise to organize or plan. The people that hack just claim their acts under the idea of what anonymous is about.

That's part of what I meant by "lack of organization". Many who claim to be a part of Anonymous are 'script kiddies' that some of the anonymous core doesn't want to be associated with.

Of course, that lack of formal organizational structure is also what makes them so hard to track down and 'take down'.

They've mostly disappeared from the public view over the last 12 months, but there's a lot of 'buzz' on IRQ and some of their other 'haunts' lately (Pastebin, etc). I think that there's a good chance we'll see them back in the news here in the next few months.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:47 am

Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:52 am

Take this for what it's worth. Not sure what to think of it (if anything), but this is a strange coincidence.

In the wake of the mass murders that took place in Newtown, Connecticut on Dec. 14, information on the shooter, and his family, is slowly being discovered by law enforcement other sources. One interesting connection to the tragedy that took place at the Sandy Hook school is that the father of Adam Lanza has a connection to the theater shootings that took place in Aurora earlier this year by James Holmes.

Both fathers of the shooters were allegedly expected to testify in the Libor scandal that rocked the banking world in June.

The father of Newtown Connecticut school shooter Adam Lanza is Peter Lanza who is a VP and Tax Director at GE Financial. The father of Aurora Colorado movie theater shooter James Holmes is Robert Holmes, the lead scientist for the credit score company FICO. Both men were to testify before the US Sentate in the ongoing LIBOR scandal. The London Interbank Offered Rate, known as Libor, is the average interest rate at which banks can borrow from each other. 16 international banks have been implicated in this ongoing scandal, accused of rigging contracts worth trillions of dollars. HSBC has already been fined $1.9 billion and three of their low level traders arrested.

financial institutions determine each day for lending purposes between each facility. This rate is then translated to the interest rates used for mortgages, student loans, credit cards, and nearly every interest bearing loan in the world. Manipulation of the Libor rate has resulted in hundreds of billions, if not trillions of dollars in fraudulent payments made by billions of customers throughout the financial world.

For similar events on the magnitude of both Aurora and Newtown to hold a connection to one of the greatest financial scandals in the history of finance is astronomically slim in regards to coincidence. In fact, neither shooter had a history with firearm proficiency, and the outcome of each shooting showed an expertise many trained military personnel could not achieve. This leaves the question of where they got their training, or if there was another plot involved which allowed these young men to perform the actions they did with such precision.

While the coming days will bring forth more pertinent information on the motives, access, and failures of both community and family to diagnose the events leading up to Adam Lanza's killing spree, one thing is becoming disturbingly clear. The connections between the Aurora massacre, and the one that took place in Newtown on Friday, may have far more ramifications to the people involved in the Libor scandal than anyone could imagine.

http://www.examiner.com/article/libor-s ... to-testify
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:58 am

So, a "friend" of mine posted this on FB earlier today. He then, as he states he would, deleted it. If you're going to be this much of a Hartnell, why delete it? Are you afraid? I'm considering posting it and tagging him in it every hour on the hour.

I edited it but Im also tired. I am very sorry if I missed a word.

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:06 am

That person probably needs checked for mental illness. Holy hell.

Seriously tho... he has himself convinced that he's right...

W
T
F
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:08 am

ummmm....wow.

u mad bro?

(not you, but the "friend" that posted it)
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:10 am

I've only known him for 2 years but he has always seemed like a stand up guy. He's your average "good person" ya know? He moved out to CA 3 months ago. Maybe that's it?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:18 am

I don't want to come across as an ********, and I don't want to start anything, so forgive me, but he does have a small point when he says "Most of you will have forgotten about it in a month or two."

The majority of my Sociology class had no idea what "The Aurora shooting" was until our teacher mentioned it was in the theater and then they were like "oh, yeah".

It's sad, but it's the truth for a healthy number of the population.

He shouldn't be right with that, but the sad reality is he probably is.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:20 am

I don't want to come across as an ********so , forgive me, but he does have a small point when he says "Most of you will have forgotten about it in a month or two."

The majority of my Sociology class had no idea what "The Aurora shooting" was until our teacher mentioned it was in the theater and then they were like "oh, yeah".

It's sad, but it's the truth for a healthy number of the population.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:20 am

I agree that he "makes a couple of good points" but all of those points are thrown out the window when you convey them that way.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:21 am

PensFanInDC wrote:I agree that he "makes a couple of good points" but all of those points are thrown out the window when you convey them that way.

I don't disagree at all.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:23 am

If his comment started with the "I would love for you..." I might have applauded him.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 am

But here's the problem in my opinion: even if he brought up a point or two which may or may not be right, the aggressive/defensive stance that he's in while typing makes what he wrote 1000x worse.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 am

MWB wrote:Was his violence connected to his Aspergers? A lot of people are capable of being violent. I'm not trying to be argumentative, it just goes against the research and my personal experience working with kids who have Aspergers. I'd hate for people to think that because a persone has Aspergers they are more inclined to commit an act like this, because I don't believe that's true.

It's not true. I suffer from Aspergers and high functional autism. Despite my flaws, I maintain a normal life, have friends and I do very well in school. My problem is in social situtation I do avoid them for fear of what people will say and at times I do have problems talking to people in public but I do alright. In fact this semester at Cal U in my campaign management, my teacher put me in charge of a group to come up with a campaign plan about a congressional district in PA of our choice (we chose the 18th district) and I did alright communication with my group members in what I wanted them to do and communicating to the class our presentation.

Point is, i'm not prone to violence at all. In fact I try to avoid confrontation when I can because i'm a positive person and I like things to be smooth. Aspergers has effected be socially, but it never made it into a violent person (although I do get angry at times when one of my sports teams starts screwing up ha).

Just thought I share that.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby Spangler on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:07 am

Yeah, we're probably going to see a lot of news reports on Aspergers, along with people being scared of people with Aspergers, even though there is no credible bases on it in the first place.

Just saw an interview on 60 mins where it seemed like the reporter was looking to blame Aspergers as the reason why it all happened. What a joke.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 am

Spangler wrote:Yeah, we're probably going to see a lot of news reports on Aspergers, along with people being scared of people with Aspergers, even though there is no credible bases on it in the first place.

Just saw an interview on 60 mins where it seemed like the reporter was looking to blame Aspergers as the reason why it all happened. What a joke.

That 60 minutes interview kinda ticked me off as well.

Aspergers does not equal violence, these reporters really need to get their act together on this story, so much disinformation.

If you want to find disorders which coorolate to violence O.D.D. Is a good place to start.

Another is intermittent explosive disorder or I.E.D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermitte ... e_disorder
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:39 am

PensFanInDC wrote:So, a "friend" of mine posted this on FB earlier today. He then, as he states he would, deleted it. If you're going to be this much of a Hartnell, why delete it? Are you afraid? I'm considering posting it and tagging him in it every hour on the hour.

I edited it but Im also tired. I am very sorry if I missed a word.

Spoiler:

wow, and you deleted me as a facebook friend? :lol:
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:43 am

As far as the aspergers stuff is concerned:

I've taught a kid with almost every single mental disability possible: MR, AS, A.D.D., dyslexia, autism, etc. None of them make a person violent. If anything it's the opposite. I would take a classroom full of those kids over the kid that doesn't have any mental issues, but is just an a**hole.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am

This op/ed piece is by a woman whose team researched school shootings in Arkansas and Kentucky.

I agree with her when she says the signs are there. It's a matter of seeing the signs and understanding that's the issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/17/opinion/newman-school-shooters/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:57 am

llipgh2 wrote:This op/ed piece is by a woman whose team researched school shootings in Arkansas and Kentucky.

I agree with her when she says the signs are there. It's a matter of seeing the signs and understanding that's the issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/17/opinion/newman-school-shooters/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Sure there may have been signs, but they are much much clearer now that something has actually occurred. I don't blame anyone that didn't see this coming. How often have these types of situations occurred and how often is it someone that you know? I can personally say I've never known/been close to a killer in any way, shape or form. Are there people that I know that COULD be capable of such actions? Possibly, but how could I possibly know unless they're my best friend or sibling? I feel as though these articles are written in the hopes of stopping these types of crimes by trying to make the general public more aware and understanding of what to look for, but as sad as it is to say this, in 2 months this tragedy will no longer be at the forefront of the nation's mind. No one is going to be on the lookout for these signs. No one is going to think about it because there are very few towns that this sort of thing has happened in and as the article states in its opening line, everyone will be thinking "How could it happen here?"
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR