Sandy Hook Tragedy

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Hockeynut! on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:52 am

Do you really believe Americans are more violent than ever? Have you ever studied the "Wild West"? Read about what happened when our country was being founded? What went on during prohibition?

Worldwide, there used to be Gladiator matches to the death with crowds of thousands cheering and jeering them on. Public executions used to be all the rage. The Romans fed Christians to the lions. The Church killed millions during the Crusades. Dictators have tried to wipe out entire races. That's before video games and movies so what "warped" them?

Some humans are violent. They aren't made violent by playing a game or watching a movie.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,762
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 am

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby DelPen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:55 am

Violent crime overall has been in a steady decline for a long time in the US. It's these rare acts of extreme violence are more horrific and we know about them in real time with no filter so everyone sees them and the next psycho will feel the need to top it. Could you imagine if the kids at Columbine had cell phones with Facebook and Twitter?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 31,881
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby tfrizz on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:21 am

Sarcastic wrote:
tfrizz wrote:I did a short research paper on violence in entertainment (predominantly TV and video games) for a sociology/criminology class back in May. While an argument can be made for correlation - being that these violent offenders are likely to have played violent games (that's a no-brainer IMO) - there is absolutely no grounds to claim causation. If playing violent games or watching violent TV/movies caused this stuff to happen, there would be a much bigger problem with this kind of violence worldwide.


I'll have to respectfully disagree and remind that we are not looking at the majority of the population in the US but the few, the several, people who may follow through with such actions. Although we should be, because Americans are move violent than ever. I don't know if numbers would confirm that, but the kinds of acts and behavior we are seeing should. There isn't any reason that I can find, other than what I described. I'll go on a limb and say that we all here agree there is a problem with our culture. Again, I ask. Who or what creates culture.

Furthermore, I have always found a noticeable difference between Americans and Europeans. I like Europeans better. I like the more closely knit structure better. I don't like American individualism.


The numbers show otherwise. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 was the top selling game in the world last year, and was also the top seller regionally in USA, UK, Germany, France, and Europe (as a whole). Yet, the vast majority of mass killings outside the US this year can be attributed to civil unrest.

I don't disagree that the thirst for violence is enculturated, that's why games like Call of Duty are in such high demand. But culture isn't created, it's learned. We begin by learning from our parents, then extended families, then friends, colleagues, and so on. People that are non-violent aren't going to suddenly become violent because they watch violent movies or play violent video games unless there is some underlying condition (predisposition to psychosis, for instance).
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,847
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 am

Sarcastic wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Truth is, there isn't 1 way to fix it. There's about 50. And they're harder to accomplish than any of us realize. But, it starts and ends with the news media.


A simple fix is to take away guns. Take away guns, people won't shoot each other. We may have a few fist fights or stabbings. But we won't have a situation where a guy walks into a school with an assault rifle that holds a 30 round magazine. He could then maybe attack one person with a knife before being taken down.

I'm not saying that's what I want to do because I wouldn't want to take guns away from serious hunters (as much as I dislike hunting), for one. But it can't continue that they are so widely available. Or sold at private sales without authorization or background check. I like those mental evaluations in China.


Because taking away guns will stop the bad guys. If someone wants to do something, they're going to do it. Cannot change that people are evil or just not mentally suited for civilized life. But, let's throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks, start with the guns right?
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,662
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:41 am

there's a different place to talk about gun control.

i'm just spitballing here, but would anyone else support FCC fines for tv stations that broadcast the name or picture of mass murderers in situations like this? maybe there would be a statute of limitations for it, but in the initial weeks where it's the main story - don't give the person what they may have been looking for. if people want the information, they can find it online, but don't plaster it on tv. there are probably a ton of logistic problems with this, but just throwing it out there.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,015
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:52 am

I have to admit, I don't get the media bashing that's going on here. Their job is to report the news, both good and bad, and there hasn't been any glorifying of the culprit in the news reports I've seen. If we didn't know the details of past mass murders, perhaps we would not have developed the preventive measures that are now in place in most schools - procedures which, by all accounts, did save lives at Sandy Hook. Personally, I see violence in TV shows/movies as being much more relevant than news reporting in accepting/promoting violence in our culture.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,697
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:55 am

Tico Rick wrote:I have to admit, I don't get the media bashing that's going on here. Their job is to report the news, both good and bad, and there hasn't been any glorifying of the culprit in the news reports I've seen. If we didn't know the details of past mass murders, perhaps we would not have developed the preventive measures that are now in place in most schools - procedures which, by all accounts, did save lives at Sandy Hook. Personally, I see violence in TV shows/movies as being much more relevant than news reporting in accepting/promoting violence in our culture.


there's evidence that the publicity of these mass murderers is part of their motive.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,015
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby mac5155 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56 am

shmenguin wrote:there's a different place to talk about gun control.

i'm just spitballing here, but would anyone else support FCC fines for tv stations that broadcast the name or picture of mass murderers in situations like this? maybe there would be a statute of limitations for it, but in the initial weeks where it's the main story - don't give the person what they may have been looking for. if people want the information, they can find it online, but don't plaster it on tv. there are probably a ton of logistic problems with this, but just throwing it out there.


Probably not a bad idea. I like it, however where do you limit it? Do they have to kill multiple people? Use a gun? Shoot up a school? News stations love showing pictures, whether its the suspect that did this, or its Jim Bob down the road who was driving drunk and killed someone. Who's to say he did that for notoriety.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,135
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby Tico Rick on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56 am

Care to share that evidence?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,697
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: It's a great day for hockey!

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby newarenanow on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56 am

Tico Rick wrote:I have to admit, I don't get the media bashing that's going on here. Their job is to report the news, both good and bad, and there hasn't been any glorifying of the culprit in the news reports I've seen. If we didn't know the details of past mass murders, perhaps we would not have developed the preventive measures that are now in place in most schools - procedures which, by all accounts, did save lives at Sandy Hook.


I actually agree with you.

The only thing I have against news media that are supposed to REPORT (not bloggers or columnist who offer opinions) is that they try to be the first and report inaccurate info all the time instead of reporting correct info.

Outside of that, I agree with you.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,582
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby DelPen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:01 am

The media was horrendous in tryng to be the first with the story. But I don't think diminshing yet another right is the answer. Stop watching whoever is being loose with the facts.

And ultimately unless you have a complete blackout they still accomplish their goal since their name gets out there.

We need to do a better job of stopping these people years before they even think about shooting up a school.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 31,881
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:01 am

Tico Rick wrote:Care to share that evidence?


people have left manifestos behind. it certainly doesn't apply to all incidents, but even it it's just "some", it's worth examining. i also suggest watching this.



are you saying that you believe that the publicity/legacy makes no difference in all cases?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,015
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:31 am

llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,799
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:33 am

Uncle says Adam Lanza was on Novartis Fanapt.

Interesting (if Biased) article:

http://naturalsociety.com/connecticut-s ... pic-drugs/
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby shmenguin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:Uncle says Adam Lanza was on Novartis Fanapt.

Interesting (if Biased) article:

http://naturalsociety.com/connecticut-s ... pic-drugs/


eesh...i hate this article so much
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,015
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby mac5155 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 am

llipgh2 wrote:Comfort dogs are helping the healing in Newtown. Dogs rock.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/12/18/ct-shooting-ac-tuchman-comfort-dogs.cnn


Great video. Golden Retrievers are special dogs. I never knew until I got one 3 years ago, but mine is awesome. He understands English. He comes and licks me when I cuss and scream at the steelers, at the thing im working on, or when i cant fix the lawn mower. They are awesome dogs.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,135
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:47 am

mac5155 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Comfort dogs are helping the healing in Newtown. Dogs rock.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/12/18/ct-shooting-ac-tuchman-comfort-dogs.cnn


Great video. Golden Retrievers are special dogs. I never knew until I got one 3 years ago, but mine is awesome. He understands English. He comes and licks me when I cuss and scream at the steelers, at the thing im working on, or when i cant fix the lawn mower. They are awesome dogs.


Goldens are the best. Where did you get yours Mac? I bread Goldens down in Prosperity Pa back in the 80's. If you've got AKC papers I can probably tell you something about your pups linage if he/she was bought in Pittsburgh.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby mac5155 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:49 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Comfort dogs are helping the healing in Newtown. Dogs rock.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/12/18/ct-shooting-ac-tuchman-comfort-dogs.cnn


Great video. Golden Retrievers are special dogs. I never knew until I got one 3 years ago, but mine is awesome. He understands English. He comes and licks me when I cuss and scream at the steelers, at the thing im working on, or when i cant fix the lawn mower. They are awesome dogs.


Goldens are the best. Where did you get yours Mac? I bread Goldens down in Prosperity Pa back in the 80's. If you've got AKC papers I can probably tell you something about your pups linage if he/she was bought in Pittsburgh.


No papers, bought him off a family in Irwin that claimed they were an accident. I dont know how having a male and female in the same house is considered an accident, but alas, I'm glad it happened :D
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,135
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:51 am

Interesting connection between the fathers of Lanza and Holmes (aurora shooter). On phone and can't link so someone can Google it and post.

Both were due to testify in a rather large federal case....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,284
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: It most certainly IS a dog

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby mac5155 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:52 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Interesting connection between the fathers of Lanza and Holmes (aurora shooter). On phone and can't link so someone can Google it and post.

Both were due to testify in a rather large federal case....


I think it was posted earlier either in here of the PDT, but the case PFIDC is alluding to was the LIBOR scandal. Both were high ranking officers (one a scientist and one a CFO if I remember correctly) for large corporations.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,135
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

mac5155 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Interesting connection between the fathers of Lanza and Holmes (aurora shooter). On phone and can't link so someone can Google it and post.

Both were due to testify in a rather large federal case....


I think it was posted earlier either in here of the PDT, but the case PFIDC is alluding to was the LIBOR scandal. Both were high ranking officers (one a scientist and one a CFO if I remember correctly) for large corporations.


Thanks!

Tin foil hats everyone!!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,284
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: It most certainly IS a dog

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

mac5155 wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Comfort dogs are helping the healing in Newtown. Dogs rock.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/12/18/ct-shooting-ac-tuchman-comfort-dogs.cnn


Great video. Golden Retrievers are special dogs. I never knew until I got one 3 years ago, but mine is awesome. He understands English. He comes and licks me when I cuss and scream at the steelers, at the thing im working on, or when i cant fix the lawn mower. They are awesome dogs.


Goldens are the best. Where did you get yours Mac? I bread Goldens down in Prosperity Pa back in the 80's. If you've got AKC papers I can probably tell you something about your pups linage if he/she was bought in Pittsburgh.


No papers, bought him off a family in Irwin that claimed they were an accident. I dont know how having a male and female in the same house is considered an accident, but alas, I'm glad it happened :D


The way you love to hunt, have you tried to field train your Golden? They absolutely love it and it's just great to be out in the field with one. I used to take a couple of mine up to Moraine and I'd have duck hunters approach me almost everytime.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:55 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Interesting connection between the fathers of Lanza and Holmes (aurora shooter). On phone and can't link so someone can Google it and post.

Both were due to testify in a rather large federal case....


Yeah, what's the chances....
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,662
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm
Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:57 am

SoupOrSam wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Interesting connection between the fathers of Lanza and Holmes (aurora shooter). On phone and can't link so someone can Google it and post.

Both were due to testify in a rather large federal case....


Yeah, what's the chances....


That LIBOR case is extremely interesting. If I were a consiracy theorist, it would make a great premise for a movie.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Breaking: School shooting in CT

Postby penny lane on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:00 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Comfort dogs are helping the healing in Newtown. Dogs rock.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/12/18/ct-shooting-ac-tuchman-comfort-dogs.cnn


when my Mum was in the nursing home, dogs would come to visit the residents. Wonderful for the residents and the employees. We were able to bring our dog too.
Anything to bring a sense of good and love is always needed.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,623
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ball of Confusion

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 60sixx, Idoit40fans, KennyTheKangaroo, meow, WDWBurghGooner and 4 guests

e-mail