The Travel Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:45 am

now ya tell me
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:46 am

Idoit40fans wrote:If someone does stay at a Hyatt, I have a $100 certificate for a 2 night stay that I got through discover that I thought I was going to use for a wedding last year that ended up being on the same weekend as another wedding that I was in. Getting it through discover gives you a ridiculous discount so if someone can use it, i'd give it to them for like 50 cents on the dollar.

I'll give you $25 for it :) (Serious)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 am

Sorry. You're one of the people i'd actually be comfortable giving it to also. :pop:
I was hoping you'd be able to utilize it. :scared:
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks, I think. :lol:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Nuge on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Going to Philly for a wedding in July so I'll probably make a long weekend out of it. I'm planning on trying to cram as much stuff as I can in on the Friday before the wedding. I'm thinking probably a hop on/hop off bus tour is the way to go. Any reccomendations? I'm planning on hitting a Phillies game that night. I'm also a history nerd so I'm gonna try to see as much of that stuff as possible.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Monk's Cafe. I've only been to Philly a couple times, and once was the night before flying out for my honeymoon. Went to Monk's Cafe and man, food was fantastic. Beer was incredible. Such a great place.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:42 pm

We've discussed this before, but I'd go for the mussels and frittes.
And the cheeseburgers are very good too.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Nuge wrote:Going to Philly for a wedding in July so I'll probably make a long weekend out of it. I'm planning on trying to cram as much stuff as I can in on the Friday before the wedding. I'm thinking probably a hop on/hop off bus tour is the way to go. Any reccomendations? I'm planning on hitting a Phillies game that night. I'm also a history nerd so I'm gonna try to see as much of that stuff as possible.

they have historic walking tours constantly streaming out of independence hall. if nothing else, it's a nice way to see a cool part of the city.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:45 pm

Just jag around in old city for as long as possible. Tons of interesting stuff going on down there (including the aformentioned independence hall)
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:46 pm

Anyone ever been to Finland?

I've suddenly developed an itch to visit there (my paternal great-grandmother came over from there, so I do have some connection to it), but I have no idea what I'd do over there, other than just saying "Hey, I'm in Finland".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:52 pm

DMcGrew wrote:Alright everyone.. my wife and I are planning to go to Boston and Maine this summer. We'll be in Boston for about 2-3 days, up to Maine (Acadia area) for 2-3 days and back to Boston for a day.

What are the best places to visit in Boston and Maine? My interests are history, scenery, and food. I love cheeseburgers and seafood.

Give me your best Boston and Maine tips! :D

Got to hit the North End. Boston's Little Italy. Wonderful food, pastries, the works. Stop at either Mike's Pastry or Modern Bakery, both are wonderful. Maria's is good as well.

Go see the USS Constitution, and walk the Paul Revere trail.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yubb on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:49 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Anyone ever been to Finland?

I've suddenly developed an itch to visit there (my paternal great-grandmother came over from there, so I do have some connection to it), but I have no idea what I'd do over there, other than just saying "Hey, I'm in Finland".

I think that's as good a reason as any to go somewhere. I've never been to Finland, but I've been to Norway. If you can fly Scandinavian air over I'd recommend it. Food was great on the flight.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nuge on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:07 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
DMcGrew wrote:Alright everyone.. my wife and I are planning to go to Boston and Maine this summer. We'll be in Boston for about 2-3 days, up to Maine (Acadia area) for 2-3 days and back to Boston for a day.

What are the best places to visit in Boston and Maine? My interests are history, scenery, and food. I love cheeseburgers and seafood.

Give me your best Boston and Maine tips! :D

Got to hit the North End. Boston's Little Italy. Wonderful food, pastries, the works. Stop at either Mike's Pastry or Modern Bakery, both are wonderful. Maria's is good as well.

Go see the USS Constitution, and walk the Paul Revere trail.

Agreed. The North End was my favorite part of Boston. Old North Church and the Paul Revere House are up there as well. Mike's makes a mean cannoli.

A game at Fenway is almost a must in Boston as far as I'm concerned. I also had a good time walking around Harvard.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:28 pm

Nuge wrote:
I also had a good time walking around Harvard.

Yeah, I liked Cambridge.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby legame on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Anyone ever been to Finland?

Finland is gorgeous. Take 3 extra days and do a day each in the Baltic states (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia) since you're so close.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Nashville was awesome. I cannot wait to go back for a longer weekend. Stopped @ Jim Beam on the way down and had some samples. Day 1 started out with Tootsie's Orchid Lounge listening. First band we saw was great but the singer absolutely sucked. We were really hoping that this wasn't the norm. After hanging at Tootsies for an hour we went to Jacks BBQ right next door. Rated best BBQ downtown. It was OK in my opinion. When I try BBQ though I expect to be absolutely stuffed and I was not. Barely any brisket and ended up with about 4 ribs. Not enough. Good, but needed more meat. Ventured into Robert's Western World and a folk band was playing so that lasted about 1 beer. Headed over to Honkytonk Central and they were switching bands. Debated leaving, but we stayed. Glad we did. The next band was phenomonal. I am pretty certain in a few years we will hear the lead singer on the radio, and he was only 16 years old. The (female) fiddle player, 18. They rocked it all night. We ended the night at some random bar that I forget the name of until they basically cut us off. :pop;

Day 2 started @ The Southern restaurant which has supposedly the best burger in Nashville. I have nothing to compare it to in that competition but it was top 3 burgers I've ever eaten. Then we headed off to the Country Music HOF. So cool seeing Elvis' Cadillac and all the other stuff there. Went and bought some new boots for the wife and I. Then we went to the Grand Ol Opry for a backstage tour. After that we tried to go to eat @ 400 degrees (Nashville Hot Chicken place) and it was closed :( so we found a guy who said try Demos, which was my next suggestion. Keith urban was in town for a concert that night so everything was packed. Ended up @ Dicks last resort. I will never go back to this restaurant. It was literally our last resort and the only restaurant that could seat us within 2 hours. Horrible service and food. Luckily I complained loudly enough to get a steep discount. Went back to some other bars and listened to more music.

Sunday, we went to leave, and needed to try some hot fried chicken. Went to Hattie B's. Waited about a half hour to order but so worth it. I tried the hot, and think I could've went with the damn hot. Best fried chicken I've ever had. The sides weren't great but I didnt go there for them. Also then stopped at white castle on the way home because ive never been there in my life. I have low standards for food and I had low expectations for WC and it didnt even live up to those. How that restaurant gets a repeat customer is beyond me. All in all a great trip and we had such a blast. I think we will do a Wednesday-Sunday trip sometime in a year or two.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:59 pm

How often do your nights end with you getting cut off?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:00 pm

My buddy's gf got us cut off. haha. she drank about 5 drinks, which is 4 more than she;s drank, like, ever.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:00 pm

So then how many times per week?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:02 pm

I couldn't tell you the last time I was cut off. If I get to the point where I need cut off my wife has already drug me out of the bar and is more than likely giving me a verbal tongue lashing from her seat behind the wheel. :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:05 pm

Yeah thats where im at. Though i think i could get to the point of being cut off pretty easily at this point. I probably have a beer a week unless im going to pittsburghfor a family gathering or pens game...then that week i have like 20.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:20 pm

agree on white castle, mac. it blowz
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Going to Portland in a couple weeks. Any must things to do out there?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Going to Portland in a couple weeks. Any must things to do out there?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29652
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:30 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:agree on white castle, mac. it blowz

I was expecting a little worse than mcdonalds. It was barely edible.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR