The Travel Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:34 pm

If you are refering to portland oregon, this gentleman spent a month and a half in portland, OR for work about 5 years ago. we spent a few weekends there, and it was the summer, so there were fun opportunities to be had (mt hood, the oregon coast, a portland beavers game featuring a post pirates mark redman pitching in it, etc). kenny the kangaroo sadly cant remember most of the restaurants. if you are looking for an interesting place neighborhood, go to the pearl district. if you are looking for beers, they should be everywhere. if you are looking for wierdos on bikes, they should be everywhere too. the only thing more common than beer and bikes is liberals. something that is not common at all is attractive women.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,290
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Yeah, I figured a brewery would be a pretty easy to make happen. Going with the gf, so wont be bothered by the last item. We're staying with friend's of hers, one of which is a chef, so i'm sure they know where the good food is. I'd like to check out Powell's and maybe find some local clothing places to shop around at.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,600
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby redwill on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:39 pm

How come no one ever asks about things to do in Wichita?

(BTW, it's the home of White Castle ...)
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,370
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:41 pm

redwill wrote:How come no one ever asks about things to do in Wichita?

(BTW, it's the home of White Castle ...)


All of the action is in Omaha; that's not a Manning reference, btw.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,733
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:46 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,272
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:31 pm

Has anyone ever renewed a passport? Mrs Tif and I just booked airfare for our adventure in Spain. End of March through early April. One tiny problem...... both of our passports are expired. I'm thinking we probably should have checked that out before dropping 2 grand on plane tickets, but what's done is done. I want to be able to keep my old passport (for the stamps and whatnot), but it looks like you have to turn in your old passport when you do a renewal. From what I'm reading it seems renewals are processed much more quickly than new applications (which is what mine would be if I 'lost' my current passport). Does anyone have any relevant experience along these lines?
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,482
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:33 pm

I can't touch on that but are you doing San Sebastián? We were just looking at Spain/Portugal honeymoon options
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,568
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:39 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Has anyone ever renewed a passport? Mrs Tif and I just booked airfare for our adventure in Spain. End of March through early April. One tiny problem...... both of our passports are expired. I'm thinking we probably should have checked that out before dropping 2 grand on plane tickets, but what's done is done. I want to be able to keep my old passport (for the stamps and whatnot), but it looks like you have to turn in your old passport when you do a renewal. From what I'm reading it seems renewals are processed much more quickly than new applications (which is what mine would be if I 'lost' my current passport). Does anyone have any relevant experience along these lines?

My new application was returned within 3 weeks at this time last year. I'd get er dun tomorrow or Wednesday and you should be fine
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,253
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:I can't touch on that but are you doing San Sebastián? We were just looking at Spain/Portugal honeymoon options

Yup. Barcelona for eight days then San Seb for four. As soon as we get our accommodations sorted I'm booking a ressie at Restaurante Arzak (you need to include the contact info for your hotel when you book). This is the only restaurant on my bucket list, and we'll be in town over my birthday. The restaurant is in a building built by the current owners' grandfather in 1897. The restaurant has held three Michelin stars since 1989, and has been on the Restaurant Magazine list of top fifty restaurants in the world since 2003. It is currently ranked #8.

I told Mrs Tif that if we could swing it ($$$$$$$$) she would never have to do anything for me ever again. :lol:

The big thing is we're going during Lent, but getting out of Dodge before Easter. Apparently Spain gets uber-Jesus-y during Holy Week.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,482
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:50 pm

when i renewed my passport 2 years ago, they gave me back my old one, just with some holes punched in it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,223
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:I can't touch on that but are you doing San Sebastián? We were just looking at Spain/Portugal honeymoon options

Yup. Barcelona for eight days then San Seb for four. As soon as we get our accommodations sorted I'm booking a ressie at Restaurante Arzak (you need to include the contact info for your hotel when you book). This is the only restaurant on my bucket list, and we'll be in town over my birthday. The restaurant is in a building built by the current owners' grandfather in 1897. The restaurant has held three Michelin stars since 1989, and has been on the Restaurant Magazine list of top fifty restaurants in the world since 2003. It is currently ranked #8.

I told Mrs Tif that if we could swing it ($$$$$$$$) she would never have to do anything for me ever again. :lol:

The big thing is we're going during Lent, but getting out of Dodge before Easter. Apparently Spain gets uber-Jesus-y during Holy Week.


that is awesome.

and your last point is definitely true. saw it first hand about 5 years ago.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,568
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:21 am

anyone have experience booking blocks of hotel rooms? are there any hotel chains that allow the person reserving the block to accrue reward points? this is a self serving endeavor :pop:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,568
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 am

I did it for a wedding but I was just reserving rooms not actually purchasing the rooms. I didn't think to ask for reward points. I would imagine that you have to pay for all of the rooms in order to get them.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,172
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby viva la ben on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:59 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:anyone have experience booking blocks of hotel rooms? are there any hotel chains that allow the person reserving the block to accrue reward points? this is a self serving endeavor :pop:

We only needed 10 bookings under our parties code to get a free room(ours). This was for embassy suites 11 years ago in moon twp.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,578
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:00 am

mac5155 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Has anyone ever renewed a passport? Mrs Tif and I just booked airfare for our adventure in Spain. End of March through early April. One tiny problem...... both of our passports are expired. I'm thinking we probably should have checked that out before dropping 2 grand on plane tickets, but what's done is done. I want to be able to keep my old passport (for the stamps and whatnot), but it looks like you have to turn in your old passport when you do a renewal. From what I'm reading it seems renewals are processed much more quickly than new applications (which is what mine would be if I 'lost' my current passport). Does anyone have any relevant experience along these lines?

My new application was returned within 3 weeks at this time last year. I'd get er dun tomorrow or Wednesday and you should be fine


yeah, mrs. c2i renewed her with a name change and it only took a few weeks.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,982
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:17 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:anyone have experience booking blocks of hotel rooms? are there any hotel chains that allow the person reserving the block to accrue reward points? this is a self serving endeavor :pop:


Pretty sure my buddy's mom booked me a hotel room for his wedding to accrue points. She then told me to call and change the reservation to my credit card.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,253
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I did it for a wedding but I was just reserving rooms not actually purchasing the rooms. I didn't think to ask for reward points. I would imagine that you have to pay for all of the rooms in order to get them.


If you (the person reserving) pays in advance for the rooms, when someone books them, do I get paid back? Or is the example you are alluding to thay I would buy the rooms out of the kindness of my heart
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,568
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:33 pm

You would have to work out getting paid back with the people staying in the rooms. I doubt the hotel would arrange that for you.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,172
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:59 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Has anyone ever renewed a passport? Mrs Tif and I just booked airfare for our adventure in Spain. End of March through early April. One tiny problem...... both of our passports are expired. I'm thinking we probably should have checked that out before dropping 2 grand on plane tickets, but what's done is done. I want to be able to keep my old passport (for the stamps and whatnot), but it looks like you have to turn in your old passport when you do a renewal. From what I'm reading it seems renewals are processed much more quickly than new applications (which is what mine would be if I 'lost' my current passport). Does anyone have any relevant experience along these lines?


renewed mine in the fall. You do send your old one back, but they'll send it back to you with holes punched in it. New ones are very shiny and patriotic. took about 3-4 weeks. I believe you also have the option to expedite the process for a few extra American dollars.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,145
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Yeah, I'm paying to expedite just to be safe. All in, gonna cost like $180.

Had a new photo taken at FedEx/Kinko's; I think they used every camera flash within 100 miles. The white levels are off the chart. The graphic designers at work all are of the opinion that the color balance is so far out of whack that State might not accept it as an accurate image. So one of the guys said "I did [his department head's] passport photo last year. It's easy; I'll go down and get my camera and we'll shoot a new one in the office."

Thanks, FedEx. Jerks.
tifosi77
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,482
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Passport pics are on a white background, right? Should only take a second to correct the white balance. You can email me the file if you want me to do it.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,786
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:55 am

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:16 pm

I had my 6 year old take a picture of me against a plain wall in me house for the passport. No issues at all, which puts some pressure on FedEx/Kinkos.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,145
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby eddysnake on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:16 pm

you can also goto the passport gov website and use their photo tool to crop everything, its actually very simple to use

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/photos/photos.html
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,145
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:25 am

any advice on cheap/good rental car deals? going to be driving from myrtle to tampa this summer
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,568
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: The Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:53 am

Walmart does great passport photos for likr $6.


We just booked a trip to the Valentin Imperial Maya in Riviera Maya for the last week of June. Anyone ever been?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,253
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackjack68, Cagsjr724, Eismann and 4 guests

e-mail