Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Cowboys

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Cowboys

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:41 am

Froggy wrote:I really think that our defense being #1 in yardage the last couple years ties directly to the fact that Ben has been really good at keeping the team on the field on 3rd down. Yardage is one of those soft stats that I hate.

I can't consider this a top defense based solely on that. Especially when we are near the bottom of the league in sacks and takeaways.

I only really care about Sacks and Turnovers. Which they're abysmal with, but credit that to multiple injuries and Woodley being fat.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:45 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Froggy wrote:I really think that our defense being #1 in yardage the last couple years ties directly to the fact that Ben has been really good at keeping the team on the field on 3rd down. Yardage is one of those soft stats that I hate.

I can't consider this a top defense based solely on that. Especially when we are near the bottom of the league in sacks and takeaways.

I only really care about Sacks and Turnovers. Which they're abysmal with, but credit that to multiple injuries and Woodley being fat.

Sacks, turnovers and third down defense. The third down defense has been getting worse as the season progresses.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:16 am

TheHammer24 wrote:It's really hard for me to comprehend the D complaints when the D is #1 in the league. Today was realistically their worst game of the season and I recognize that it needs rebuilt in the coming years, but only Steelers fans are so spoiled to think the #1 D in the league is inadequate because it doesn't get enough sacks/turnovers.

We were missing our #1 and # 3 cornerbacks. We started a#5 cb who had been on the practice squad and also on the street for awhile because #4 cb Curtis Brown didn't do the job. Part way through the game we lost Keenan Lewis our #2 corner. At that point we were playing a #5 corner and special teamer VanDyke who's probably not on the depth chart. I figured LeBeau was going to have to go on the field next.
That's a lot to overcome especially considering Woodley gave them nothing in that game;actually for the season.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Geezer on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:24 am

Grunthy wrote:i wonder if people realize that if this team can somehow sneak into the playoffs, barring any further injuries, a lot of our starters will be healthy. Like Gilbert, Taylor, Woodley, Big Ben. This team would still be a tough out in the playoffs.

I agree that getting healthy would make them dangerous.Gilbert's done for the year though; placed on IR
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:27 am

Geezer wrote:
Grunthy wrote:i wonder if people realize that if this team can somehow sneak into the playoffs, barring any further injuries, a lot of our starters will be healthy. Like Gilbert, Taylor, Woodley, Big Ben. This team would still be a tough out in the playoffs.

I agree that getting healthy would make them dangerous.Gilbert's done for the year though; placed on IR

You don't really believe this do you?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:31 am

With no running game, and the Young Money crew playing the way they are. There going to sneak into the play-offs and get torched by a team like Denver.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 am

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals win the division.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:59 am

Well considering how the Steelers season is, they'll lose to Cleveland and beat Cincy.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:07 am

and then there'd be a good chance baltimore beats Cincy i'd guess, to ensure they win the division and have home field, and then the steelers would still get in, right?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:18 am

Malkamaniac wrote:With no running game, and the Young Money crew playing the way they are. There going to sneak into the play-offs and get torched by a team like Denver.

It's okay though, Young Money will put a video of an awesome kick line dance they've choreographed on Youtube the week of the Super Bowl.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:23 am

When does Haley begin to start taking blame too? This offense is more of the same, perhaps even worse than Arians. How many times was Heath targeted in the second half? I dont think any.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:25 am

We had 400 yards. That should win enough games.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:31 am

Arian's ineptitude was was pretty defnitive at times. I don't think you should point to anyone but the "young money" crew after these last two losses. Miller has been the only reliable player catching passes, it's hard to get any rhythm on offense when your receivers wont catch the ball.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:37 am

Rocco wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:With no running game, and the Young Money crew playing the way they are. There going to sneak into the play-offs and get torched by a team like Denver.

It's okay though, Young Money will put a video of an awesome kick line dance they've choreographed on Youtube the week of the Super Bowl.

I really did get the feeling that Antonio Brown was more concerned about his after tackle dance than he was holding on to the football.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:38 am

Troy Loney wrote:Arian's ineptitude was was pretty defnitive at times. I don't think you should point to anyone but the "young money" crew after these last two losses. Miller has been the only reliable player catching passes, it's hard to get any rhythm on offense when your receivers wont catch the ball.

It's a shame that Plax signed a contract to only get two games. The Steelers could use another huge target.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:47 am

there's no significant evidence that brown has a fumbling problem. it's a paper thin argument to make some weird point about mike wallace.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:51 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Rocco wrote:

I really did get the feeling that Antonio Brown was more concerned about his after tackle dance than he was holding on to the football.

Yeah brown is pretty tiring. Such a *******.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:05 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Yeah brown is pretty tiring. Such a *******.

I do like Brown, but when these kind of mental mistakes happen everything is magnified for him because he's personally made it that way with his dancing and showboating.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 am

I strongly dislike Brown (and any player really) that showboats after every play. "act like you've been there before"
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 am

A couple thoughts...

1. What's really frustrating to me is not that the team loses, but that they lose in the way they do. There are just so many mental mistakes and failures to do basic things (e.g. using sound tackling technique). I'm OK with them losing because of injuries or lack of talent (and both of those have certainly factored into things), but it's painful to watch them throw away winnable games through their own stupidity.

2. I don't have any problem with Haley. It seemed like he (sensibly) came in thinking that the o-line can't be counted on to run block or pass protect, so they needed to focus on shorter passing routes that got the ball out of Ben's hands quickly. This had the added benefits of getting the ball to the real threats on offense (Brown and Wallace) at a higher frequency and allowing the Steelers to control the clock, even with an anemic run game. And it seemed like this worked for the middle part of the season; the o-line and running game even improved for a bit too. Then, all the key injuries happened, players started fumbling like crazy, Mendenhall started pouting, etc.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:34 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:I strongly dislike Brown (and any player really) that showboats after every play. "act like you've been there before"

This is all over the NFL now. Its a look at me league. But that falls on the coaches to stop that. Tomlin doesn't seem to be concerned with his teams lack of discipline.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:37 am

Troy Loney wrote:Arian's ineptitude was was pretty defnitive at times. I don't think you should point to anyone but the "young money" crew after these last two losses. Miller has been the only reliable player catching passes, it's hard to get any rhythm on offense when your receivers wont catch the ball.

OK, so miller gets the TD, and the offense is firing on all cylinders, then Haley comes back with 2 runs and a dumpoff to Dwyer that he drops. The playcalling sucked yesterday.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:42 am

Not sure I remember that instance. I remember when they were in a position to go up two score and on a third and short roethlisberger threw a dumpoff at the RB's feet that would have gotten a first down.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:57 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:I strongly dislike Brown (and any player really) that showboats after every play. "act like you've been there before"

I've always been a huge fan of celebrations in the end zone. I'm not a fan of celebrating a 2 yard catch that gets you a first down.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Not sure I remember that instance. I remember when they were in a position to go up two score and on a third and short roethlisberger threw a dumpoff at the RB's feet that would have gotten a first down.

that was a big play, and a colossally terrible throw.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR