Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Cowboys

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Are You Ready for Some Football - Steelers/Cowboys

Postby mac5155 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Not sure I remember that instance. I remember when they were in a position to go up two score and on a third and short roethlisberger threw a dumpoff at the RB's feet that would have gotten a first down.

yeah I think we're talking about the same thing, but still, 2 runs and a dumpoff.

I think it's evident Ben hates Haley
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:I strongly dislike Brown (and any player really) that showboats after every play. "act like you've been there before"

I've always been a huge fan of celebrations in the end zone. I'm not a fan of celebrating a 2 yard catch that gets you a first down.

Yep..every single first down he gets lets hold the ball out and drop it like we're some hardass. Trying to get his moves into a videogame or something. Its disgusting.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:19 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Not sure I remember that instance. I remember when they were in a position to go up two score and on a third and short roethlisberger threw a dumpoff at the RB's feet that would have gotten a first down.

yeah I think we're talking about the same thing, but still, 2 runs and a dumpoff.

I think it's evident Ben hates Haley

the series of plays would have been a success if ben didn't make what amounted to one of the worst throws i've ever seen from a legit quarterback.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:I strongly dislike Brown (and any player really) that showboats after every play. "act like you've been there before"

I've always been a huge fan of celebrations in the end zone. I'm not a fan of celebrating a 2 yard catch that gets you a first down.

Yep..every single first down he gets lets hold the ball out and drop it like we're some hardass. Trying to get his moves into a videogame or something. Its disgusting.

Actually I think he borrowed that move from Santonio.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Fast B wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Nah, Tone used to enjoy flexing and showing off the guns after his first downs.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm

:thumb:

Look at the great ones:

Jim Brown
Jerry Rice
Franco Harris
Walter Payton

Maybe there was a corolation between their performance and the way they acted?

Here's a quote from Jim Brown: (After the Bills Stevie Johnson celebrated by pretending to shot himself in the leg ala. Plax)

"It's an example of ignorance. Pure ignorance. There's no upside to it. It's self-serving ignorance. The bottom line is, any intelligent person realizes that until the game is over there's nothing to celebrate. ... And it means that you are not concentrating on winning, and then you can lose the game. Or, you can drop the ball, as [Johnson] did [later]. Now where's the celebration? So all of a sudden you can't hold the ball and now what do you want your teammates to do? Should they celebrate you dropping the ball? So like I said, there's no upside. It's ignorance, and I don't even know how players can stoop to being so ignorant that they can hurt their team after something that's been successful. That is as bad as it gets. To me there's no other side of the story. There's no two sides of this story. It's a terrible, terrible lack of intelligence."
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Has there been any mention of the weird sexual insinuations made my Nantz and Simms? Nantz was quick to point out the steeeler's deepest penetration, and they were both enthralled with how much meat Simms ate that weekend....really weird, I wonder if there's something going on between them.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Look at the great ones:

Jim Brown
Jerry Rice
Franco Harris
Walter Payton

Here's a quote from Jim Brown: (After the Bills Stevie Johnson celebrated by pretending to shot himself in the leg ala. Plax)

"It's an example of ignorance. Pure ignorance. There's no upside to it. It's self-serving ignorance. The bottom line is, any intelligent person realizes that until the game is over there's nothing to celebrate. ... And it means that you are not concentrating on winning, and then you can lose the game. Or, you can drop the ball, as [Johnson] did [later]. Now where's the celebration? So all of a sudden you can't hold the ball and now what do you want your teammates to do? Should they celebrate you dropping the ball? So like I said, there's no upside. It's ignorance, and I don't even know how players can stoop to being so ignorant that they can hurt their team after something that's been successful. That is as bad as it gets. To me there's no other side of the story. There's no two sides of this story. It's a terrible, terrible lack of intelligence."

Lol

I love how you leave out Dieon Sanders, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss .... Those boys weren't slouches and loved to celebrate.

It's pretty pathetic anyone would question the intelligence of TO, Sanders, or Moss... You don't get to be pinnacles of success in their positions for a decade a piece without a strong mind and unreal dedication

Do you people ***** and moan whenever Malkin celebrates?
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:58 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Look at the great ones:

Jim Brown
Jerry Rice
Franco Harris
Walter Payton

Not to mention Barry Sanders. Sanders when he would score a TD wouldn't even celebrate. He just hand the ball back to the red and get off the field.

I have zero problem seeing a player celebrate when they score because that is something important to celebrate. But these days I see players do a dance just because they make a catch for five yards.

Can't stand that.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:00 pm

They're entertainers. I don't mind them having a little fun, they deserve it, and i think it's funny usually.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:01 pm

ulf wrote:
Fast B wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Nah, Tone used to enjoy flexing and showing off the guns after his first downs.

He did copy Santonio Holmes, who copied Lebron James
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Godric wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Look at the great ones:

Jim Brown
Jerry Rice
Franco Harris
Walter Payton

Lol

I love how you leave out Dieon Sanders, Terrell Owens and Randy Moss .... Those boys weren't slouches and loved to celebrate.

It's pretty pathetic anyone would question the intelligence of TO, Sanders, or Moss... You don't get to be pinnacles of success in their positions for a decade a piece without a strong mind and unreal dedication

Do you people ***** and moan whenever Malkin celebrates?

Not when he does something thats important like scoring a goal. Believe me it doesn't hurt to have some sort of class and humility when your playing.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby Godric on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Either way it doesn't "hurt", I would laugh my ass off if next time *insert NHL scorer* scores he pulls a sharpie out of his glove and signs his stick and throws it over the glass to some kid
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:18 pm

This is all I have to say.....

Spoiler:

Image :D :D :lol: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :D :D Image
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:19 pm

ulf wrote:They're entertainers. I don't mind them having a little fun, they deserve it, and i think it's funny usually.

I love celebrations...not when you just get a first down in the second quarter though. Maybe on 3rd and long in a close game in the second half.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:27 pm

I mean, he makes a first down sign and drops the ball. It's not like he spins it and sits down and acts like he's making a s'more over the ball. While that would be cool..
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:38 pm

ulf wrote:I mean, he makes a first down sign and drops the ball. It's not like he spins it and sits down and acts like he's making a s'more over the ball. While that would be cool..

You then have Cotchery, who got popped yesterday while making a first down catch and put the ball down on the ground before celebrating with his teammates. Heath has ~90 catches this year and doesn't seem to feel the need to engage in "look at me" histrionics. Funny how they can hang on when they get hit but Sanders gets a whiff of the safety coming over the middle and loses the football. I guess I shouldn't blame Sanders since those two started playing back when you could hit receivers so they are conditioned to take hits, while Sanders plays in an era where if a safety comes in to make the play there's a 50/50 chance he will get flagged even if it's clean.

The dancing is whatever and I realize complaining about it makes me sound like a grouchy old fart, but if you're going to draw attention to yourself after every good play, expect equal amounts of the attention when you screw the pooch. Hines had his share of his post-catch antics but he was also good at holding on to the ball and generally being reliable. Smoky Holmes was a knucklehead but when he wasn't stoned you could count on him (and BRoeth did as well on the field).
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Rocco wrote:
ulf wrote:I mean, he makes a first down sign and drops the ball. It's not like he spins it and sits down and acts like he's making a s'more over the ball. While that would be cool..

The dancing is whatever and I realize complaining about it makes me sound like a grouchy old fart, but if you're going to draw attention to yourself after every good play, expect equal amounts of the attention when you screw the pooch. Hines had his share of his post-catch antics but he was also good at holding on to the ball and generally being reliable. Smoky Holmes was a knucklehead but when he wasn't stoned you could count on him (and BRoeth did as well on the field).

I agree. You better be able to back it up, and expect some retaliation if you go too far.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:14 pm

largegarlic wrote:A couple thoughts...

1. What's really frustrating to me is not that the team loses, but that they lose in the way they do. There are just so many mental mistakes and failures to do basic things (e.g. using sound tackling technique). I'm OK with them losing because of injuries or lack of talent (and both of those have certainly factored into things), but it's painful to watch them throw away winnable games through their own stupidity.

Yes. Thank you for speaking for both of us. 8-)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:36 pm

ulf wrote:I mean, he makes a first down sign and drops the ball.

I guess he was just giving us a preview of what the rest of the game was going to look like.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:45 pm

LOL
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Im The Wreck Of You, Im The Death Of You All ~ Soundgarden

Postby ulf on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
ulf wrote:I mean, he makes a first down sign and drops the ball.

I guess he was just giving us a preview of what the rest of the game was going to look like.

boom
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby itissteeltime on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:17 am

Check out Boise State football. After a TD the coach makes them hand (not toss) the ball to the ref, and jog off the field. I think it's classy and respectable. I'm a Boise fan because of it.

I also enjoy the absolutely outrageous celebrations, that 85 and TO provide us with.

I don't like anything in the middle though. Either jog off the field, or leave me laughing.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:21 am

Problem being that the NFL likes to flag and/or fine people who actually try to do something creative... so you basically just get lame celebrations at this point.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah, that's the problem.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR