Trouble in Steubenville...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Trouble in Steubenville...

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:40 pm

If he were a good enough player, he'd probably get a scholarship somewhere; the SEC comes to mind.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby npv708 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:21 pm

columbia wrote:If he were a good enough player, he'd probably get a scholarship somewhere; the SEC comes to mind.

The Ohio State would make sense, especially considering their history with delinquents.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:23 pm

They kicked someone affiliated with this incident out of school. I don't think he's going to OSU.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:38 pm

MRandall25 wrote:They kicked someone affiliated with this incident out of school. I don't think he's going to OSU.

That was Michael Nodianos, and he dropped out because he is a coward. He was not affiliated with OSU football.

To my knowledge its been years since Steubenville had any players recruited to a major D1A school. They send a lot of guys to Youngstown State. Thats about it.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:06 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/theater- ... 1501140005

Interesting, I'm going to try to see this.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:04 pm

Troy Loney wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/theater-dance/2015/01/14/Play-to-explore-motivations-in-Steubenville-teens-rape-case/stories/201501140005

Interesting, I'm going to try to see this.

I was and am disgusted with the cover-up/dismissing of sexual assaults at places like Steubenville and on college campuses, but I cringe every time I hear the phrase "rape culture". This phrase is thrown around by a lot of feminists that think you can "teach" men not to rape, which is condescending, sexist, and absurd all at the same time. Or that we all live in a culture in which rape is accepted.

RAINN gave a great commentary over this obsession with "rape culture". Rape is an incredibly serious problem, but many feminists would have you believe it is a cultural norm, much like women making less money or being stuck slaving over a hot stove while the man goes off and works. I believe the statistic was 90% of rapes are committed by 3% of the male population, who are likely sociopaths anyway.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:12 pm

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2012/0 ... story.html

When Boston University released its report Wednesday on hockey players’ “culture of sexual entitlement,” it kept most of the investigation details — including accounts of sexual debauchery and wide-ranging allegations of academic trouble — confined to confidential subcommittee reports.

Do you prefer the term "sexual entitlement"?

I'm pretty sure that most of us are really distant from the world where this stuff is a problem. But, I understand why you have an issue with the semantics, but there's definitely a culture of something wrong.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:17 pm

That actually seems to be a good phrase to describe the atmosphere in a lot of high school and college locker rooms.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:27 pm

A study from the University of North Dakota interviewed 73 college aged men (which I suppose they did the stats and is statistically a big enough pool to be relevant). 31.7% said that they would act on intentions to force a woman to sexual intercourse if they knew that no one would ever know and there'd be no consequences. 13.6% said they'd rape a woman if they knew there'd be no consequences and no one would ever know. There was a strong correlation between participants saying they'd rape a woman with that person having anger and hatred towards women based on other survey questions that participants answered. There was no such correlation with the 31.7%.

My confusion comes into the difference between those two groups. I'm wondering what the difference in their mind is between "intentions to force a woman to sexual intercourse" and "rape".

Anyways, I don't like the propaganda involved with "rape culture" but this study shows numbers that were way, way hire than I had thought they'd be. There's obviously something not quite right with the brains of some college aged boys, but I'm not sure what the solution is... 3rd wave feminism certainly isn't helping though, of that I'm almost positive.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:04 pm

BURB OF THE BURGH
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:25 pm

count2infinity wrote:A study from the University of North Dakota interviewed 73 college aged men (which I suppose they did the stats and is statistically a big enough pool to be relevant). 31.7% said that they would act on intentions to force a woman to sexual intercourse if they knew that no one would ever know and there'd be no consequences. 13.6% said they'd rape a woman if they knew there'd be no consequences and no one would ever know. There was a strong correlation between participants saying they'd rape a woman with that person having anger and hatred towards women based on other survey questions that participants answered. There was no such correlation with the 31.7%.

My confusion comes into the difference between those two groups. I'm wondering what the difference in their mind is between "intentions to force a woman to sexual intercourse" and "rape".

Anyways, I don't like the propaganda involved with "rape culture" but this study shows numbers that were way, way hire than I had thought they'd be. There's obviously something not quite right with the brains of some college aged boys, but I'm not sure what the solution is... 3rd wave feminism certainly isn't helping though, of that I'm almost positive.

It really is odd. Met my fair share of guys in college with that exact same outlook regarding women and it was gross. The girl i was dating at the time probably knew 4 different women who were raped in college. Maybe it has something to do with the atmosphere at college where certain people treat it as the ultimate party time in their lives and they "Owe it" to themselves to be as wild and crazy as possible. I do know the opposite exists as well where women hate men but the former is so much more prevalent.

Met a dude once that thought the lifestyle of "cruising for *****" every night was completely acceptable. Some people will look at that statement and say to themselves that he's just a typical college student with no tact in how he says things because he's just 19. Well, when you reduce a woman to a body part like that guy did in this example, you're already heading to the area of no respect and eventual disdain for women.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Bioshock wrote:I do know the opposite exists as well where women hate men but the former is so much more prevalent.

I agree with most of what you said, except this. I don't think it's more prevalent, it's just more studied.
count2infinity
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NHR