Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:35 pm

i heard the stillers are trading for reevis
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,763
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Lewis signs 5 year deal with the Saints.

26.3 million over 5 years.. 10.5 guaranteed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90531 ... ing-source
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,796
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Steelers... 5-11!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,561
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Froggy on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Yeah, we can't afford that for Lewis. We haven't lost anyone that signed a deal we could or should have matched
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,573
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Still hurts to lose lewis and wallace regardless.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,796
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Froggy on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:15 pm

skullman80 wrote:Still hurts to lose lewis and wallace regardless.

well, yeah. but it would also hurt to create even more holes in coming years by signing players to bad contracts. I'm not optimistic at all about this year, but i'm not freaking out about it either.

last year, had we been healthy and had everyone play to expectations, we're looking at a 12-4 team.

if we had been healthy OR had everyone play to expectations, we're a 10-6 team.

we did neither, so we finished 8-8. That doesn't mean we were really a "8-8 team". I'm not going to project this year's ceiling against last year's floor.


bottom line... who knows? cincy could be terrible. the ravens could be terrible. the browns will almost assuredly be terrible. I think the team that wins this division will have 9 wins, and only one team is gonna make it.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,573
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:21 pm

AFC North is the new Big East :pop:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,365
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Geezer on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Both guys would have been nice to have. I believe the Dolphins overpaid Wallace. Saw a guy on TV point out that a team could have gotten Bolquin ans Welker for Wallace's price. If I had the choice between having Wallace or those guys I'd take that pair in a heartbeat.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,360
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:24 am

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Rylan on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:07 pm

I wish they had gotten Amendola.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,995
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 pm

I dreamed last night that the Steelers traded for Adrian Peterson, the thing was that AP still wore his Vikings uniform while playing for the Steelers and he ran for 1000yards each game. It seemed so real.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Bioshock on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Lol, it's just comical at this point. The Steelers are gonna be so bad. And i don't see this as a one year endeavor. They are gonna have to buckle down for a few years, draft well, get out of salary cap hell and start over.

Was listening to the radio and a guy called in and said that the Steelers need to completely rebuild in effort to minimize the damage and get on the right path as soon as possible. The host flipped said something to the effect of, "how would you feel if they went 6-10? How would you feel if they did it again the next year?!" The guy simply stated that it might be necessary in order to right the ship and become good again.

I just don't understand the fear of being bad for a few years. Who cares? Do what is best in order to get back to the top. If it means a few lean years, so be it. Remember the 3 sub .500 season in the late 90's? Yeah, and then they were back in the AFC championship game the following year and a decade of dominance followed.

Is it really that much of a death sentence if the Steelers are bad for a little while? I hear people and radio hosts melt down when the term "rebuild" is mentioned.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,753
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:43 pm

I question whether BRoeth will be healthy enough by the time said rebuild is completed.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,836
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Bioshock on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:46 pm

columbia wrote:I question whether BRoeth will be healthy enough by the time said rebuild is completed.


I question this as well but i would rather gamble with a total rebuild than to be floundering in cap hell and just letting young players walk. IMO, i think your best chance is to rebuild and have a shot than not rebuilding and having mediocrity rule for the rest of Ben's career.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,753
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:48 pm

The other alternative is to draft a QB relatively soon (as a part of that rebuild).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,836
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Rocco on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Rocco wrote:Dump Lewis without trying to sign him after he plays well. Replace with William Gay, who stinks. We're sure the Steelers aren't tanking the 2013 season on purpose, right?

They didn't dump Lewis, they just didn't offer him a contract with money they didn't have. Big difference.


It's a distinction without a difference. They didn't make an offer at all to a young player they drafted and developed and turned into a solid corner. They somehow found the money to bring back Larry Foote's dead body and at one point tried to sign Wallace but couldn't be bothered to try to keep Lewis.

Gay also won't be replacing Lewis, as he'll be used only in situational packages, where he actually plays decently well. Cortez Allen, who is young, ahead of the Lewis-defined curve, and much cheaper will step in at CB as a starter and by season's end, people will wonder why anyone ever fretted over losing Lewis.


Gay was let go by the Steelers after 2011 without much regret, and the Cardinals had no problem kicking him to the curb. Did anyone else want Gay? Even if Allen plays well you're looking at a situation where you don't have enough corners in a league where good corners are a necessity. Ike's not getting any younger and coming off a serious injury.

They may be a Roethlisberger injury away from the first overall pick (extreme hyperbole, btw), but they're also not far from a playoff spot, either. Oh, and for the record in more than half of the NFL cities (specifically those with All-Pro caliber QBs), if said QB goes down to longterm injury, the playoffs are a pipedream, anyway.

Steelers fans have been spoiled by years and years of success. The team is bound to have a few down years moving forward, and not every star player can be retained. But their not nearly as downtrodden as some think.


It's not hyperbole. The 2010 team survived without their QB for 4 games and went to the Super Bowl. He missed time in 2011 and they won 12 games. With a healthy QB this year they were 6-3; he went down and wasn't totally right upon his return and they won 8 games. The talent around him is getting worse and the team pretty much needs him to carry them in order to beat anyone with a pulse. As of right now, 5 starters off the team are gone (Starks, Colon, Wallace, Harrison and Lewis); you can argue they weren't that good to begin with, but they were good enough that the coaches thought they were the best options. a 6th starter (Miller) probably won't be available to start the year. They may very well lose two more starters if Keisel and Hampton aren't brought back. You can argue that injuries undid last season, and you'd have a point, but most of the guys who got hurt are guys who always get hurt. BRoeth misses time every year. Troy misses time. Woodley's missed time the last two seasons. Pouncey always misses a game or two. You can't expect full seasons from guys who never give you full seasons. Plus it's an older roster and older players get hurt more often.

They got as much mileage out of their core as they could; those guys are old, and there's not a lot on hand to replace them because they've flushed money down the toilet on linemen like Colon and Kemoeatu and missed on a lot of draft picks (everyone from the 2008 draft is gone except for Ryan Mundy; they have Hood left from the 2009 draft; the 2010 draft was solid, but 2011 has been meh so far and the 2012 draft was hurt or arrested). They're going to have to dump veterans and start over and it's going to be a little messy for a year or two until the purge is complete.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,481
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby JS© on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 pm

Bioshock wrote:Lol, it's just comical at this point. The Steelers are gonna be so bad. And i don't see this as a one year endeavor. They are gonna have to buckle down for a few years, draft well, get out of salary cap hell and start over.

Was listening to the radio and a guy called in and said that the Steelers need to completely rebuild in effort to minimize the damage and get on the right path as soon as possible. The host flipped said something to the effect of, "how would you feel if they went 6-10? How would you feel if they did it again the next year?!" The guy simply stated that it might be necessary in order to right the ship and become good again.

I just don't understand the fear of being bad for a few years. Who cares? Do what is best in order to get back to the top. If it means a few lean years, so be it. Remember the 3 sub .500 season in the late 90's? Yeah, and then they were back in the AFC championship game the following year and a decade of dominance followed.

Is it really that much of a death sentence if the Steelers are bad for a little while? I hear people and radio hosts melt down when the term "rebuild" is mentioned.

I think this is very accurate, but I think a 5-11 season is a very real possibility.

Too many holes left in free agency, not enough new players brought in, no signs of depth in the current roster.

"Welcome to the new age.....to the new age"
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,142
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → [B] [A] [start]

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Bioshock on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:13 pm

Yeah, like i said, would rather rebuild. Restructuring is a great tool... when you are about a step away from a Superbowl. Otherwise, it's something that just prolongs misery. Next year they will be in the exact same situation again NO MATTER WHAT they do because of all the contracts they just restructured.

Big trouble on the horizon...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,753
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Rocco on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 pm

Bioshock wrote:Yeah, like i said, would rather rebuild. Restructuring is a great tool... when you are about a step away from a Superbowl. Otherwise, restructuring is something that just prolongs misery. Next year they will be in the exact same situation again NO MATTER WHAT they do because of all the contracts they just restructured.

Big trouble on the horizon...


Eh, not really. They'll have to rework BRoeth's contract, obviously, but the fact they've gotten rid of Harrison and Colon this year (with Hampton likely on the way) is a step in the right direction cap-wise, especially when coupled with getting rid of Farrior and Ward and Kemoeatu last offseason. Plus the new TV contracts kick in after this season so the cap will likely go up. Taylor and Troy's contracts run out in 2014, so they're likely to get extended (lowering their cap hit) or released. Pouncey's due for a new contract, which will probably have low cap hits early on. They're always going to have cap issues as long as they've got a franchise QB, but that is better than the alternative of not having a franchise QB. I'd prefer them to get rid of Colon now so there's no hit for 2014, but it looks like they'll release him officially on June 1 so they save more money for this season but have a $4M cap hit for 2014.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,481
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Bioshock on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Rocco wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Yeah, like i said, would rather rebuild. Restructuring is a great tool... when you are about a step away from a Superbowl. Otherwise, restructuring is something that just prolongs misery. Next year they will be in the exact same situation again NO MATTER WHAT they do because of all the contracts they just restructured.

Big trouble on the horizon...


Eh, not really. They'll have to rework BRoeth's contract, obviously, but the fact they've gotten rid of Harrison and Colon this year (with Hampton likely on the way) is a step in the right direction cap-wise, especially when coupled with getting rid of Farrior and Ward and Kemoeatu last offseason. Plus the new TV contracts kick in after this season so the cap will likely go up. Taylor and Troy's contracts run out in 2014, so they're likely to get extended (lowering their cap hit) or released. Pouncey's due for a new contract, which will probably have low cap hits early on. They're always going to have cap issues as long as they've got a franchise QB, but that is better than the alternative of not having a franchise QB. I'd prefer them to get rid of Colon now so there's no hit for 2014, but it looks like they'll release him officially on June 1 so they save more money for this season but have a $4M cap hit for 2014.


Actually, the cap isn't expected to move even with the new TV revenue for some reason. Also, i have heard the numbers for Ben next year but i can't remember them. I think it will be like 5 or 6 players accounting for 50 million of the overall cap room next year.

Also, the fact that they already cut Colon saves them 5 million this year but that cap hit will be with them next year in the form of "dead cap space" so there's also that.

I need to look this up.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,753
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 am

There should be no concern about losing Wallace. He is addition by subtraction. He did not make a single big catch down the stretch when needed. He is not a Steeler.

The loss of Lewis is regretfull, but the play of Cortez the Conquerer would seem to mean that they are ok possibly even better. It is nice to have a corner that can actually catch a ball. Losing Mundy is another good thing because he sucks.

I am not saying these guys were not adding to the overall depth in some way, but come on. Losing these three and releasing Colon means we are going to be 5-11?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 am

Yes, the Eagles bar will be laughing at the Steelers.

Rebuild mode and draft Johnny Football in a few years.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,561
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Bioshock on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:21 am

The Snapshot wrote:There should be no concern about losing Wallace. He is addition by subtraction. He did not make a single big catch down the stretch when needed. He is not a Steeler.

The loss of Lewis is regretfull, but the play of Cortez the Conquerer would seem to mean that they are ok possibly even better. It is nice to have a corner that can actually catch a ball. Losing Mundy is another good thing because he sucks.

I am not saying these guys were not adding to the overall depth in some way, but come on. Losing these three and releasing Colon means we are going to be 5-11?


Is this a serious post?

Steelers lost 7 starters and will lose Heath Miller for the beginning of the season. Cortez the Conquerer? Hasn't even started in this league and he's better than Lewis?

I think... you are a little optimistic to put it nicely.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,753
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:22 am

i think you a re a little pessimistic
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,763
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Froggy on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:30 am

Of the guys we lost, which ones did you want us to bring back?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,573
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Official 2012-13 Pittsburgh Steelers Off-Season Thread

Postby Rocco on Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:47 am

Bioshock wrote:
Rocco wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Yeah, like i said, would rather rebuild. Restructuring is a great tool... when you are about a step away from a Superbowl. Otherwise, restructuring is something that just prolongs misery. Next year they will be in the exact same situation again NO MATTER WHAT they do because of all the contracts they just restructured.

Big trouble on the horizon...


Eh, not really. They'll have to rework BRoeth's contract, obviously, but the fact they've gotten rid of Harrison and Colon this year (with Hampton likely on the way) is a step in the right direction cap-wise, especially when coupled with getting rid of Farrior and Ward and Kemoeatu last offseason. Plus the new TV contracts kick in after this season so the cap will likely go up. Taylor and Troy's contracts run out in 2014, so they're likely to get extended (lowering their cap hit) or released. Pouncey's due for a new contract, which will probably have low cap hits early on. They're always going to have cap issues as long as they've got a franchise QB, but that is better than the alternative of not having a franchise QB. I'd prefer them to get rid of Colon now so there's no hit for 2014, but it looks like they'll release him officially on June 1 so they save more money for this season but have a $4M cap hit for 2014.


Actually, the cap isn't expected to move even with the new TV revenue for some reason. Also, i have heard the numbers for Ben next year but i can't remember them. I think it will be like 5 or 6 players accounting for 50 million of the overall cap room next year.

Also, the fact that they already cut Colon saves them 5 million this year but that cap hit will be with them next year in the form of "dead cap space" so there's also that.

I need to look this up.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... h-steelers

Designated for a June 1 release, which means his cap hit is spread out over two years.

They'll end up having to rework BRoeth's contract again, but he's signed through 2015 so next year would be a good time to extend his deal and lower his number in the first year. They're pretty much past the worst part of their cap problems at this point. And despite what the NFL says it's hard to believe the cap won't go up somewhat with a significant influx in revenues coming soon.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,481
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: skullman80, WDWBurghGooner and 13 guests

e-mail