Governor sues NCAA over PSU sanctions

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Governor sues NCAA over PSU sanctions

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:28 pm

The only reason people are throwing a fit is because they dont like the Republican Governor.

The bottom line is he is bringing a lawsuit to save the state some money or to redirect it locally that all. All the other blah blah blah is just that. People searching and searching hard for a reason to bash him. As they say in the movies "Keep moving, nothing to see here".
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:35 pm

JeffDFD wrote:Im not really following this thread well and where all the opinions are coming from...as the governor of the state...the state gives a lot of money to PSU...and NCAA comes in and says give us 60 million. That's a lot of freaking money for the NCAA to just demand and taking the money from PSU's budget certainly hurts current and future PSU students and, ultimately, the state who funds the college.

What am I missing? If the state feels the NCAA is out of line and them asking for 60 mill from PSU is like them basically saying, "hey PA - give us 60 mill" - why wouldn't the governor or anyone else in authority to do so look into further and come to the conclusion that "hey, the taxpayers of PA shouldn't be giving the NCAA 60 million."

Now if a court awards victims damages for criminal/civil purposes then OK, that is different...but why should money go to the NCAA?

Punish the football program, fine - take scholarships, remove bowl games...that sends a message (although you can argue it still does nothing to punish those responsible and hurts current innocent players - I agree with the angle that the football program in general needs taken down a few notches as it obviously is not above the law). But I don't see attacking the state funded budget.

Admittedly, I am not 100% up on everything - is the 60 mill only to come from football operations? Does the NCAA typically do this to other schools that have some sort of violation? What about in this case where it really is a criminal proceeding and not an "NCAA" violation. Am I missing something? Politics aside, where does the NCAA have the authority to institute such large fines? I can see withholding NCAA privileges that would bring in money for the school (bowl games)...the NCAA is mad at you - the NCAA can take their ball and leave. Does this all have to do with their published guidelines ? Do schools willingly waive their rights in this regard and say they will be open to the NCAA fining them if they wish to participate in the NCAA?

Someone help me here

From my understanding the $60 million matches some sort of revenue the football program brings in. Also, the money from the fine is supposed to go to charity which I assume it still will, but the thinking is the NCAA wants to distribute it nationally. I think the governor is just either trying to save the state some money and lower the fine (as it is a state school and revenue is revenue no matter where it comes from, football, tuition whatever) and/or make sure if the fine sticks all of the money is direct to PA located charities which makes complete sense to me.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

There are plenty of non partisan reasons to think Corbett is a scumbag. Not everyone is blinded by party affiliation like you. :roll:
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm

The political stuff should go in the PDT, but if you don't think this is part of a reelection ploy, you have the wool over your eyes (no matter which side)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
thepittman wrote:Can someone point me to where all of the hate for Corbett is stemming from?

Some oft-cited arguments posed by critics, presented in general:

His slashing state education (at all levels), programs for low-income workers, environmental protection was arguably egregious. Meanwhile, funds have been redirected to state police and corrections (w/re the war on drugs in particular), shale drilling, and corporate-interests. He's considered to be completely owned by the coal, oil, and gas industries. Many also claim governmental overreach at much of the new legislation signed into law. He is a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage (not surprising) and was a vocal supporter of rushing through the voter ID legislation in time for the recent election. This past August, Corbett's approval rating dropped to 28% and has been averaging in mid-30s since.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ett_1.html

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/21/134726232 ... Budget-Gap

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... r-prisons/

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... tts_1.html

(From Reuters) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/1 ... 36341.html

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/0 ... -into-law/
Oh so you are a Democrat, I understand now
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:Im not really following this thread well and where all the opinions are coming from...as the governor of the state...the state gives a lot of money to PSU...and NCAA comes in and says give us 60 million. That's a lot of freaking money for the NCAA to just demand and taking the money from PSU's budget certainly hurts current and future PSU students and, ultimately, the state who funds the college.

What am I missing? If the state feels the NCAA is out of line and them asking for 60 mill from PSU is like them basically saying, "hey PA - give us 60 mill" - why wouldn't the governor or anyone else in authority to do so look into further and come to the conclusion that "hey, the taxpayers of PA shouldn't be giving the NCAA 60 million."

Now if a court awards victims damages for criminal/civil purposes then OK, that is different...but why should money go to the NCAA?

Punish the football program, fine - take scholarships, remove bowl games...that sends a message (although you can argue it still does nothing to punish those responsible and hurts current innocent players - I agree with the angle that the football program in general needs taken down a few notches as it obviously is not above the law). But I don't see attacking the state funded budget.

Admittedly, I am not 100% up on everything - is the 60 mill only to come from football operations? Does the NCAA typically do this to other schools that have some sort of violation? What about in this case where it really is a criminal proceeding and not an "NCAA" violation. Am I missing something? Politics aside, where does the NCAA have the authority to institute such large fines? I can see withholding NCAA privileges that would bring in money for the school (bowl games)...the NCAA is mad at you - the NCAA can take their ball and leave. Does this all have to do with their published guidelines ? Do schools willingly waive their rights in this regard and say they will be open to the NCAA fining them if they wish to participate in the NCAA?

Someone help me here

From my understanding the $60 million matches some sort of revenue the football program brings in. Also, the money from the fine is supposed to go to charity which I assume it still will, but the thinking is the NCAA wants to distribute it nationally. I think the governor is just either trying to save the state some money and lower the fine (as it is a state school and revenue is revenue no matter where it comes from, football, tuition whatever) and/or make sure if the fine sticks all of the money is direct to PA located charities which makes complete sense to me.

So then how do they both punish the football program (reducing the projected revenue they can make) and charge them for that projected revenue? I don't care about the political angle of this really at all...I am just saying if the NCAA governs college sports then let them do that...leave the budget alone...and if they try to touch that taxpayer money - whoever is in charge of that taxpayer money should do something about it, if they are a Repub or a Dem.

I think for most colleges the football revenue is the largest and it then goes to fund the majority of the other sports or other extra curricular programs...is that correct (does title IX have a lot to do with that or something, among other things?)? So I don't care if the 60 mill is the projected revenue PSU football is supposed to bring in - it is not the NCAA's right to touch that money....again...unless I am missing something.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:51 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:There are plenty of non partisan reasons to think Corbett is a scumbag. Not everyone is blinded by party affiliation like you. :roll:

I dont like the guy, and said it earlier. But the PSU hate on this is out of control. Him trying to save the state some money or keep the money to local charities is not that big of deal. Somehow this is getting tied into some grand scheme. I mean of course some of the reasons for ANYTHING a politician does is for political gain.

This? This is not a big deal at all. Thats my point. And people posting all this hate for him (through bs reasoning) makes it worse.

From reading this thread I think me being pointed to as the one blinded by political affiliation is hilarious, since the all the hate is because of just that.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:53 pm

Outside of a few people on this board, everyone wanted to see psu burn in flames for the next eternity. Corbett is attempting to reduce that and I think that is why many are upset. Frankly, I think it's nice to see someone stand up to the ncaa
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 pm

I think this lawsuit is ridiculous but it has very, very little to do with my disdain for Corbett. If you supposedly "dont like the guy", why is everyone else not liking him BS and politically motivated?

Makes. No. Sense.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 pm

JeffDFD wrote:

Someone help me here

So then how do they both punish the football program (reducing the projected revenue they can make) and charge them for that projected revenue? I don't care about the political angle of this really at all...I am just saying if the NCAA governs college sports then let them do that...leave the budget alone...and if they try to touch that taxpayer money - whoever is in charge of that taxpayer money should do something about it, if they are a Repub or a Dem.

I think for most colleges the football revenue is the largest and it then goes to fund the majority of the other sports or other extra curricular programs...is that correct (does title IX have a lot to do with that or something, among other things?)? So I don't care if the 60 mill is the projected revenue PSU football is supposed to bring in - it is not the NCAA's right to touch that money....again...unless I am missing something.

Yeah, I really dont know all of the answers to that other than I think that I assume the football program at a lot of schools funds other things. Again, I just think this isnt a big deal. There is some actual money being lost by the school that I am sure the state is not happy about losing. Its $60 million, its a hefty amount of the cashizzle.

Them trying to save some of that money (which was fined to a state institution by a privately run agency and not a government) or at the very least keep it local makes sense to me. Again, I just dont think its a huge deal and everyone is using it to pile on a guy they dont like.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:I think this lawsuit is ridiculous but it has very, very little to do with my disdain for Corbett. If you supposedly "dont like the guy", why is everyone else not liking him BS and politically motivated?

Makes. No. Sense.

I didnt say everyone else not liking him is bs or politically motivated. I said (and my point was) that people are using him suing the NCAA to keep the state some of their $60 million as a reason to consistently bash him simply because they dont like him or because he is a republican.

I dont really care for him, but him suing the NCAA for this? Could care less about that, its not a big deal to me even if some of it is for political posturing, which I said above anything a political does has some % of politics to it. Its a state suing a privately run organization for a fine. Which the privately run organization has every right to do to the government (in a different way). This. Isnt. A. Big. Deal.

Dont not quote me and pass it off as context.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:05 am

I didnt say everyone else not liking him is bs or politically motivated.

Context? You said:

The only reason people are throwing a fit is because they dont like the Republican Governor.

By bolding "Republican Governor", and saying "only reason" you're the first one who made this a partisan issue.

But whatever. I'll agree ti disagree.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:13 am

Hockeynut! wrote:
I didnt say everyone else not liking him is bs or politically motivated.

Context? You said:

By bolding "Republican Governor", and saying "only reason" you're the first one who made this a partisan issue.

But whatever. I'll agree ti disagree.

Seriously? So you just saw my posts and not the ones I was replying to who CLEARLY made this a partisan issue. You are either good at this game or doing this on purpose. Context. I was referring to this quote:

I think this lawsuit is ridiculous but it has very, very little to do with my disdain for Corbett. If you supposedly "dont like the guy", why is everyone else not liking him BS and politically motivated?

Makes. No. Sense.

Again, I never said people do not like him simply because he is republican, you are taking a partial post and making it out to be clearly out of context:

I said people who do not like his political views are using this lawsuit as means to bash and bash him, especially on this board. Which is clearly much different than what you are proposing I said/meant.

When I said that I didnt mean every single person ever born who disagrees with this lawsuit, but most (if you just read this thread, see what words and context I was replying too for a good start instead of jumping in and making assumptions, and how it turned to into all sorts of hate on him in general) are just picking him apart with no reasons other than he is scum, he sucks, he has many hidden skeletons to hide, this lawsuit is all for gain with no insight on the lawsuit itself.

It is simply a lawsuit by a governor trying to save the state some money. That is all. Period. End of story. Everything else is just fodder.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 am

The amount of bolding going on is a bit intense. I'd like to request you calm down and keep your formatting to a minimum.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:31 am

Can't wait until they investigate Corbett for not doing his job when Attorney General and never investigating the Second Mile. Also, his influence with the board of trustees.

This isn't about going after the NCAA. This is about Corbett trying to looking good.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 am

bhaw wrote:The amount of bolding going on is a bit intense. I'd like to request you calm down and keep your formatting to a minimum.

OK
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 am

Hi, BADS and thepittman!

Since you can’t see me or hear my voice, you’ll have to take me at my word that I’m not at all annoyed, confrontational, ticked off, defensive—nor do I intend to sound at all condescending, snarky, defensive, dismissive, attacking… I think you get the idea. I think my typical demeanor on this board has been established. I've been accused by peers to be rather self-deprecating and unwilling to take myself seriously. Now, with that out of the way, I'll tell you that, while I've read, considered and respect your responses, I'm not going to counter. My position is not suddenly convenient. If I ever wanted to get into a political argument on this board, then I'd join the political thread. I stated when I joined LGP that I'm not here for that. But I’d like to clarify something:

I presented (not claimed) general reasons, which I've come to understand (not necessarily personally hold), why some criticize Tom Corbett. I intentionally didn’t own any of it. I’m not punting; the approach was equivocal by design. I second-guessed myself in responding to the question, but I thought the language would cover me. Going forward, I’ll restrict any posts on this matter to my personal interest as a PSU alum.

I'd like you to consider that I attached those links not to present “research,” but to provide some examples, in an informal (read: not academic, scientific, or legal) forum, of where those general negative opinions could be found. Does that mean that you guys should settle for crap information? No, it doesn't, hence the effort to provide journalistic or op-ed links. I agree, however, that I didn’t extreme great care in link selection, and perhaps I should have explicated the distinction between opinion/example and claim/evidence; I could have spared you the effort of addressing my “evidence” or automatically unjustifiably labeling me. I, as the author, assume responsibility.

thepittman, I’ll be honest, I found your post to be baiting as well as unwarranted. No worries here; though.

Take all this for what you will. Thanks, guys. :)
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 am

The dish just served you, BOOM!

(not really but I needed to use that joke)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 am

Bioshock wrote:Can't wait until they investigate Corbett for not doing his job when Attorney General and never investigating the Second Mile. Also, his influence with the board of trustees.

This isn't about going after the NCAA. This is about Corbett trying to looking good.

Regardless of your opinion, this is something the Governor has to do. I think the NCAA overstepped their bounds.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:42 am

bhaw wrote:The dish just served you, BOOM!

(not really but I needed to use that joke)

Oh, bhaw.

And I've always wanted to yell, "b-b-b HAW HAW HAW!" at you. :lol:

Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Tim Thomasen on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Bioshock wrote:Can't wait until they investigate Corbett for not doing his job when Attorney General and never investigating the Second Mile. Also, his influence with the board of trustees.

Regardless of your opinion, this is something the Governor has to do. I think the NCAA overstepped their bounds.

Yeah maybe with them taking away Paterno's wins, I think that was harsh and unnecessary. But the sanctions the NCAA imposed on the university was fair given the circumstances of the scandal.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby Bioshock on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:23 am

Tim Thomasen wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Yeah maybe with them taking away Paterno's wins, I think that was harsh and unnecessary. But the sanctions the NCAA imposed on the university was fair given the circumstances of the scandal.

Actually, no it's not something he has to do. He has no power at all since Penn State signed off on this. This is a political move to try and make himself look good after dropping the ball repeatedly. Hell, he was very influential in getting Paterno out and now he says the stuff that happened was too harsh? Please...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tim Thomasen on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:38 am

Bioshock wrote:
Tim Thomasen wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Actually, no it's not something he has to do. He has no power at all since Penn State signed off on this. This is a political move to try and make himself look good after dropping the ball repeatedly. Hell, he was very influential in getting Paterno out and now he says the stuff that happened was too harsh? Please...

I'm in agreement with everything you been saying, but I don't think you meant to quote me. I think you just meant to quote Guru only.
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:03 am

I hope Corbett takes on the Philly labor unions next :pop:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I hope Corbett takes on the Philly labor unions next :pop:

:fist:
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer