Anyone into landscaping?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Anyone into landscaping?

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Did you reseed your grass or just fertilize the hell out of it?

I haven't done either in years. It just fills in by itself well enough by May every year. Apparently, the huge Black Locust in the neighbor's yard gives me all the free fertilizer I need.

My dogs tend to fertilize mine. it doesn't work though :pop:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
bhaw wrote:I enjoy landscaping and was about to start contributing until I caught myself ready to suggest a bunch of plants we use in AZ. 95% of it can't be found in PA. :( If you decide to move out to the desert, let me know and I'll pass some info along :lol:

I've discovered the hard way that what works in western PA doesn't necessarily work in Charlotte, NC. And the springs are so weird here - summer one day, winter the next. Still haven't gotten the hang of it in terms of landscaping in the South.

Bermuda grass and crepe myrtles seem to be the key.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Seems like a good thread for this, got some ice today and one of our pine trees is leaning at the base. I see the ground bulging a little but no roots are exposed. I'd say the tree is about 12 feet tall and maybe 8" diameter if that. Hoping I can save it provided we got no more ice and no wind and everything melts tomorrow.

Any good way to go about correcting it?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:02 pm

My motto on outdoor plants is as follows:

If you can't eat it or mow it, I don't grow it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:55 pm

DelPen wrote:Seems like a good thread for this, got some ice today and one of our pine trees is leaning at the base. I see the ground bulging a little but no roots are exposed. I'd say the tree is about 12 feet tall and maybe 8" diameter if that. Hoping I can save it provided we got no more ice and no wind and everything melts tomorrow.

Any good way to go about correcting it?

Any trees close to it? You could use a come along to hold it up using that tree.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:53 am

I have a row of pines for privacy and a fence behind them. It's leaning into one of the other trees. Going to see if I can even push it back vertical and then I guess I can stake it out with some rope and prop it up behind.

They started out as three feet tall 5 years ago and most are close to 20 feet tall, is on is a little smaller than the two next two it and frankly if it does need to go it will give the ones next to it more room to grow.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:16 am

My dad used a rope to try to straighten a tree that had been blown sideways in a heavy wind storm. After two years of staking it, it got somewhat straight, but was never perfectly straight. I'd be tempted to take it out to give the other pines room to grow.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Stupid dog was digging a hole on the side it tilted too. I have three 4x4 holding it vertical from the back, going to stake to pull it forward too so that should hold it fine. Ned t pack some more dirt around the trunk t fill that hole then. Should be good.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NHR