Garage Door Repair

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Garage Door Repair

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:02 am

Calling on the collective advice of LGP.

I need a trustworthy and reasonable repair service for my garage door. It appears the torsion spring on the one side broke so now the door won't open/close.

Of course this happens the day before the coldest night so I had to leave my car outside.

Yes, yes, I know a lot of ppl park outside normally and many don't have garages and used to walk up hill both ways in 6 feet of snow...I am not really compaining about a cold car...but I have a garage door and want it fixed because that is one of the reasons I bought this house!

Any help? Cranberry twp area.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Garage Door Repair

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 am

I've never seen an automatic garage door without a lever that could be pulled to manually open and close it. :pop:

As far as actual repairs. I got nothing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:14 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I've never seen an automatic garage door without a lever that could be pulled to manually open and close it. :pop:

As far as actual repairs. I got nothing.

Yes, well the way the whole set up is - trust me, I tried. It is a big door and really heavy for 1...but that wouldn't stop me from manually moving it - but....long story short - with the break where it is - it moves up unevenly...twists - and then twisting begins and wheels start popping out of the track and...well :slug: to your snarky post! haha.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 am

Definitely don't attempt it yourself. I saw a guy lose an arm from one of those springs
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:18 am

Wait, you saw it happen or you saw a guy that lost an arm doing it?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 am

mac5155 wrote:Definitely don't attempt it yourself. I saw a guy lose an arm from one of those springs

Right, my initial thought was maybe I could buy the part and fix it...but I asked around and pretty much everyone says not to.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Geezer on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:34 am

Cox Garage Doors from Lawrence and Mercer Counties. They've been in business 40 years or so. 724-658-7316
www.coxgaragedoors.com My oldest son was an installer for them 20 years ago;they're very good.

Don't ever mess with those springs yourself or have some handyman pal do it. Those springs are lethal;they will kill you if you get hid in the head.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PghSkins on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:17 pm

We used Electric Garage Door Sales in Monaca. Don't know if they go to Cranberry or not.

Our spring blew, I was fortunately outside when it happened (so was the car BTW).

This is one you leave to the pros. I don't think anyone gets these things inspected but... not a bad investment to do so.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BadHands71 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:30 pm

My parents have used Henefeld Garage Doors for years, they are fantastic and didn't even charge for a second service call when they had to come back a few days later after a keypad stopped working.

http://www.henefelddoors.com/ They are in the South Hills but I know they will work in the North Hills area as well.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:34 pm

I think the currently accepted way to install the springs is to run a steel cable inside the spring and make sure it’s firmly attached at both ends. That way if the spring breaks the spring pieces are still captured on the cable and can’t go wildly flying around.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Had one of my doors replaced this past summer by Dave Giel Garage Doors. He's out out Shaler/Allison Park and pretty much is the go-to guy around here. Great work, great price.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Geezer wrote:Cox Garage Doors from Lawrence and Mercer Counties. They've been in business 40 years or so. 724-658-7316
http://www.coxgaragedoors.com My oldest son was an installer for them 20 years ago;they're very good.

Don't ever mess with those springs yourself or have some handyman pal do it. Those springs are lethal;they will kill you if you get hid in the head.

Thanks for this recommendation. Called around a few places and this seems the best bet.

Thanks everyone else too for the info.

Who knows, maybe I will come back here tomorrow and yell at you if they mess up and a spring comes through the floor and takes off one of my legs or something.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:15 pm

If a spring goes through your garage floor I certainly hope you think about the construction of said floor lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:23 pm

mac5155 wrote:If a spring goes through your garage floor I certainly hope you think about the construction of said floor lol

After talking to people about a broken spring and getting the responses I have...I am pretty sure our military can use these things.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:34 pm

I'll do it for $100
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby schreibdog on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:30 pm

I've changed the extension springs on my garage door a few times...they're not too bad (there's a safety cable that runs through the center to keep it from taking off in a random direction). They're the springs that run along the side of the door.

But a torsion spring? F those things. I like my life and limbs way too much to mess with those.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 pm

schreibdog wrote:I've changed the extension springs on my garage door a few times...they're not too bad (there's a safety cable that runs through the center to keep it from taking off in a random direction). They're the springs that run along the side of the door.

But a torsion spring? F those things. I like my life and limbs way too much to mess with those.

If you haven't ever tried to fix it yourself, I would always suggest doing so. I once paid $250 for a replacement spring (Giel Garage Doors) and the guy did a great job, but when the other door went, I decided to give it a shot. Not only was it easy, but it was less than $25 for springs, cables, & wheels.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:12 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
Geezer wrote:Cox Garage Doors from Lawrence and Mercer Counties. They've been in business 40 years or so. 724-658-7316
http://www.coxgaragedoors.com My oldest son was an installer for them 20 years ago;they're very good.

Thanks for this recommendation. Called around a few places and this seems the best bet.

Thanks everyone else too for the info.

Who knows, maybe I will come back here tomorrow and yell at you if they mess up and a spring comes through the floor and takes off one of my legs or something.

All taken care of, thanks! Guy was nice, professional, and did a great job. Changed out the springs, fixed up the track, regreased the wheels, re attached the manual arm, and some other small stuff. Both my car and I thank you for the rec!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to NHR