Steelers, Please Acquire Darrelle Revis

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Steelers, Please Acquire Darrelle Revis

Postby Rocco on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:46 pm

the errey i breathe wrote:in fact to follow up my last post, a guy who might fall to the 2nd round but could be a good QB with a few years under his belt is Mike Glennon from NCST. Big guy, strong arm from what I've seen, just shaky decision making that could be ironed out with a few years learning an offense and practicing under NFL coaches.

Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I just think they're better off beginning the search for that new stud QB as opposed to assumung the world is going to end if they ditch the franchise QB (worked pretty well for the colts)

The Steelers just need to be sure to tank a season when they'll be able to get a sure-fire QB with the #1 pick the next year.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:15 pm

salary cap be damned! i want more star players!
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:31 pm

canaan wrote:salary cap be damned! i want more star players!

I'm a Penguin fan, what else would you expect? :pop:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 pm

columbia wrote:The last one might be hard to find...I mean, who doesn't get those thrown their way?

:pop:

Given your tastes in "ice crew" members... :)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:35 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
columbia wrote:The last one might be hard to find...I mean, who doesn't get those thrown their way?

:pop:

Given your tastes in "ice crew" members... :)

:lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Yeah, even if I did my best to remove my personal disdain for the guy, I don't think Roethlisberger's playing style is conducive to much success going forward. He's just not capable of taking anywhere close to the beating he was accustomed to taking when he was younger. Can't really argue with the success he had playing that way and taking the team to 3 superbowls. He can always point to his success and say, why should I change my style? He wouldn't be wrong, but in terms of career longevity he needed to get better as a pocket passer by not taking hits. It also wouldn't hurt for him to be more committed to training and getting his body in better physical condition, that usually helps to prevent some of these injuries. But what do I know right? Really just my observations and feelings about the guy. Doesn't have the work ethic to be a better pocket passer or to be in optimal physical shape.

The Steelers were in the Super Bowl the season before last. Your posts scream bridge jumping. The Steelers have two mediocre seasons after making the Super Bowl, and winning one in the past four seasons and now you "endorse" blowing it up and getting rid of a top 5 or 6, two-time SB winning QB that 27 teams would kill for. Like I said, you can hate Ben, that's a perfectly legitimate viewpoint. But I think arguments suggesting the Steelers are better without him are, frankly, absurd.

Ben is the offense.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:01 am

My addition to this thread:

Before Revis went to Quip, I played vs him in basketball. He was like in 9th grade or whatever starting varsity. (csb)

There is a lot of deserved and undeserved negativity toward Ben. He was a good and honest guy with a good heart when he started. Then he put his face into a car and won two super bowls and became a jerk...rape allegations then came (guilty of being a sleaze no matter what - charges not filed otherwise)...he admitted he was a jerk and got full of himself and admitted he needed to start over and be better. A lot of people will not give him that chance and that is their decision, but he has stayed out of trouble..settled down with a wife and has a kid now. Time will only tell, but I think he has done a pretty good job so far of behaving himself.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 am

JeffDFD wrote:My addition to this thread:

Before Revis went to Quip, I played vs him in basketball. He was like in 9th grade or whatever starting varsity. (csb)

There is a lot of deserved and undeserved negativity toward Ben. He was a good and honest guy with a good heart when he started. Then he put his face into a car and won two super bowls and became a jerk...rape allegations then came (guilty of being a sleaze no matter what - charges not filed otherwise)...he admitted he was a jerk and got full of himself and admitted he needed to start over and be better. A lot of people will not give him that chance and that is their decision, but he has stayed out of trouble..settled down with a wife and has a kid now. Time will only tell, but I think he has done a pretty good job so far of behaving himself.

I thought the same thing about Tiger Woods once. :pop:

I'm not a Ben hater, I'm just a realist when it comes to what happens to ones ego when you're constantly reading press clippings stating that you walk on water.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 am

we played aliquippa in summer league once when they had revis and herb pope. we got destroyed. so many dunks.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
JeffDFD wrote:My addition to this thread:

I thought the same thing about Tiger Woods once. :pop:

I'm not a Ben hater, I'm just a realist when it comes to what happens to ones ego when you're constantly reading press clippings stating that you walk on water.

maybe the ferocity in which we lambaste these "heroes" and "legends" should be more be more aptly geared towards the media and organizations that put humans in this position for financial gain. im not much of a popular figure basher because i've never had to walk in their shoes--the constant adoration/criticism, the constant hounding by the paparazzi, etc.

just think about the ghosts in your own closet and how you would be castigated by the public if they were reviewed and critiqued on a national scale everyday. people want to hold sports figures up to some light that isnt representative of a.) humans b.) humans that have grown up in the situations that some of these people have. this isnt necessarily directed at you, just a general statement. people are quick to form a lynch mob because of humans making mistakes. im not one of those people....aside from ray lewis, of course :)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:47 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Yeah, even if I did my best to remove my personal disdain for the guy, I don't think Roethlisberger's playing style is conducive to much success going forward. He's just not capable of taking anywhere close to the beating he was accustomed to taking when he was younger. Can't really argue with the success he had playing that way and taking the team to 3 superbowls. He can always point to his success and say, why should I change my style? He wouldn't be wrong, but in terms of career longevity he needed to get better as a pocket passer by not taking hits. It also wouldn't hurt for him to be more committed to training and getting his body in better physical condition, that usually helps to prevent some of these injuries. But what do I know right? Really just my observations and feelings about the guy. Doesn't have the work ethic to be a better pocket passer or to be in optimal physical shape.

The Steelers were in the Super Bowl the season before last. Your posts scream bridge jumping. The Steelers have two mediocre seasons after making the Super Bowl, and winning one in the past four seasons and now you "endorse" blowing it up and getting rid of a top 5 or 6, two-time SB winning QB that 27 teams would kill for. Like I said, you can hate Ben, that's a perfectly legitimate viewpoint. But I think arguments suggesting the Steelers are better without him are, frankly, absurd.

Ben is the offense.

And the team is the defense. and the defense is ancient.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:we played aliquippa in summer league once when they had revis and herb pope. we got destroyed. so many dunks.

Herb Pope :lol:

Man, what a waste
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:

Ben is the offense.

And the team is the defense. and the defense is ancient.

What's your point? The Steelers defense isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl, so we should get rid of our franchise QB?

The Steelers have the #1 Defense in the league. YPG may be a mediocre proxy for a defense's wins-added, but I think it's fair to say that the D is SB quality. It's better than Baltimore's; that's for sure.

Personal Ben hate is fine. But to say we need to blow up the D (yet) or QB (Dear God) is absurd.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Yeah the Steelers didn't have the best defense in the league. Their defense is nowhere near Super Bowl quality. And its not as good as Baltimore's...which is also aged. My point is that the defense not great, is getting worse, and is more important than their offense.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Yeah the Steelers didn't have the best defense in the league. Their defense is nowhere near Super Bowl quality. And its not as good as Baltimore's...which is also aged. My point is that the defense not great, is getting worse, and is more important than their offense.

I disagree then.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 pm

I'll just have to settle with results supporting my theory.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Last edited by Godric on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:06 pm

I heard the Steelers are going to offer Tangradi and Kennedy for Revis.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I'll just have to settle with results supporting my theory.

What results? The Steelers are 8-8; therefore, the defense sucks? When I go to bed with my shoes on I wake up with a headache. What a weird cause of a headache!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:

What results? The Steelers are 8-8; therefore, the defense sucks? When I go to bed with my shoes on I wake up with a headache. What a weird cause of a headache!

Are you going to be ok? Call a doctor.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 am

Godric wrote:

Where would he be ranked now coming off an ACL? That ranking also doesn't take contract status into account.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Grunthy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 am

TheHammer24 wrote:

The results told that the steelers had the number one defense in the league... :pop: It isn't the defense's fault that in the Bengals' loss that the offense scored more points for the opposition than they allowed. That game kept them from the playoffs.
Grunthy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR