Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby Ad@m on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:25 am

At least 233 dead, pyrotechnics to blame.

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1867777

Wow! Can't imagine the panic that was going on in there.
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:31 am

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:14 am

I saw that yesterday. Just crazy.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,338
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 am

Nuts. I guess its a fact of growing up with my father being a fireman; I always look for emergency exits at places like this. One bar back home likes to lock the front door and force people to use the side; I like to remind them they need at least 2 exits in case of fire.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,661
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:28 am

mac5155 wrote:Nuts. I guess its a fact of growing up with my father being a fireman; I always look for emergency exits at places like this. One bar back home likes to lock the front door and force people to use the side; I like to remind them they need at least 2 exits in case of fire.


I look for the exits when I get to crowded spaces for the same type of reason. Or if some nut comes in and shoots up the place.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,338
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 am

newarenanow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Nuts. I guess its a fact of growing up with my father being a fireman; I always look for emergency exits at places like this. One bar back home likes to lock the front door and force people to use the side; I like to remind them they need at least 2 exits in case of fire.


I look for the exits when I get to crowded spaces for the same type of reason. Or if some nut comes in and shoots up the place.


I dont know if you've ever been, but I literally get scared when I go to the Phyrst in State College.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,661
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 am

Indoor pyrotechnics never were a good idea.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,144
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:22 am

Gaucho wrote:Indoor pyrotechnics never were a good idea.


Agree. It's like the time my buddies and I shot off a Roman candle in one of their parents garage and almost blew up the gas can. Not smart.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,338
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:28 am

its the Station Nightclub all over again. they'll probably find that the exact same thing happened - something extremely flammable was used in the acoustic treatments inside the club
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,381
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:28 am

this lesbian bar doesnt have a fire exit. enjoy your death trap, ladies
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,084
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:43 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:its the Station Nightclub all over again. they'll probably find that the exact same thing happened - something extremely flammable was used in the acoustic treatments inside the club


It seems that's something like that happens every few years. So if I'm ever in a bar or club where some genius has the idea to entertain the guests with pyrotechnics, I'll head for the exit.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,144
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:01 pm

not to excuse the general stupidity of blowing off fireworks inside a building, but these places all have (historically) allowed smoking. you have people flinging cigarettes and putting them out on the floor or on the walls.

and you assume a commercial/industrial building now has to meet certain "fireproof" regulations.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,381
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:02 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:its the Station Nightclub all over again. they'll probably find that the exact same thing happened - something extremely flammable was used in the acoustic treatments inside the club


Was that the place in Rhode Island?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,842
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby pfim on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Needless and sad.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,789
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 am
Location: Sitting in front of my computer

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:06 pm

There was a Law and Order episode about this.
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Aloha Means Goodbye

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:06 pm

mac5155 wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Nuts. I guess its a fact of growing up with my father being a fireman; I always look for emergency exits at places like this. One bar back home likes to lock the front door and force people to use the side; I like to remind them they need at least 2 exits in case of fire.


I look for the exits when I get to crowded spaces for the same type of reason. Or if some nut comes in and shoots up the place.


I dont know if you've ever been, but I literally get scared when I go to the Phyrst in State College.


Omg, I did, too. Do still. I was never a huge Phyrst Phamly fan, so I didn't go there a lot, but when I did, I got nervous. The Saloon would be a bit hard to escape as well...maybe the 'Gaff...anywhere with a lot of narrow steps.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,842
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Brazilian Nightclub Fire

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:There was a Law and Order episode about this.


I know which one you're talking about, and I think that was "ripped from the headlines" after the Rhode island nightclub fire.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/ ... JT20130127
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,842
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.


Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


e-mail