Is Time Travel Possible?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is Time Travel Possible

Yes
27%
No
63%
Undecided
10%

Total votes : 30

Is Time Travel Possible?

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Well, is it?

If it is, then someone has already done it either in the past or the future. I think time travel is full of so many paradoxes that there is no way that time travel is possible.

Discuss.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Is Time Travel Possible?

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Nope, and there are no 4th dimensional beings. Just like there are no 2nd dimensional beings or 1st dimensional beings.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:36 pm

if it is possible, it would be into the future.

if you left this time right now and reappeared in the future, that would not create a paradox. there wouldn't be a 2013 you and a future you, just the 2013 you that showed up in the future.

it is my belief that when we learn more about black holes and worm holes we will have a better understanding of this. it wont so much be traveling in time as it will be bending it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 pm

No
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Nope.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:39 pm

In theory? Maybe.

Practically? No way.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:45 pm

nope. oh wait, I guess it is.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:48 pm

In reality, no I dont' think so.

But if by any chance it was, I would guess that all the Mayans and other people that claim to see aliens are really humans in the future traveling back in time.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:51 pm

I hope so. Fly out to space at FTL then return at FTL. Time travel right there
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:52 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:if it is possible, it would be into the future.

if you left this time right now and reappeared in the future, that would not create a paradox. there wouldn't be a 2013 you and a future you, just the 2013 you that showed up in the future.

it is my belief that when we learn more about black holes and worm holes we will have a better understanding of this. it wont so much be traveling in time as it will be bending it.

Agreed. But this isn't the conception of time travel we think of.

If we could travel faster than the speed of light, you would beat the "present" to the "future." I.e. You'd appear at T+1 Day before your image appeared there.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Time travel is definitely theoretically possible by the laws of physics.
As you approach the speed of light, time slows down, so in that sense you could "time travel."
Will it ever be as simple as it is made out to be in the movies? That is a definite no.
I highly doubt we will see anything close to fictionalized time travel in our lifetimes or even in our great-grandkids lives.
That does not mean however that we should stop trying to advance our scientific understanding and technolgies for future future generations.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Even trafelling faster than the speed of light, you wouldn't be "time travelling" in a manor that anyone could perceive.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 pm

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLEEEEEE
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pucks_and_Pols on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Even trafelling faster than the speed of light, you wouldn't be "time travelling" in a manor that anyone could perceive.

Nobody really knows what will happen if you manage to travel faster than the speed of light. I am not saying that it is impossible, but the amount of energy it would take to move a human mass to those speeds is near infinite.
Now: if you can manage to break down a human mass, disintegrate it into a near weightless state, propel it through time and space, and somehow put it back together at its destination, you just might be onto something there.

But as to your point, yes, moving even close to the speed of light would not be like the fictional time travel in our books and movies. It would be more like "time-skipping" than time travel.
Pucks_and_Pols
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 pm

Unfortunately, there is no way to undo some of mankind's dire atrocities.

Spoiler:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Rylan wrote:I hope so. Fly out to space at FTL then return at FTL. Time travel right there

As a plug for a good book, there’s an excellent classic sci-fi novel that deals with the effects of near-lightspeed travel in the context of a war. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman tells the contemplative story of soldiers fighting an interstellar war between humanity and an alien race. Each mission to attack the enemy involves months of near-lightspeed travel, and the resulting time dilation means that decades pass on Earth for a mission that lasts only a few months or years from the solders’ perspectives. Each time the soldiers return home, they find an Earth that has changed more and more from the home they knew. The Forever War won the Nebula, Hugo and Locus awards.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm going to say no, because we would surely have seen some evidence in the last 10,000 years of someone traveling back into out time.

Then again...

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Maybe when time travel is invented, it needs some sort of temporal anchor. Like you can't go back to before time travel was invented, but you can go back to that point from any point after it. There are a couple of movies that play with this idea. One called "Primer" is an especially trippy one
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:49 pm

That sounds like a good read Shyster
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:52 pm

I think we need 1.21 Jigawatts.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Pucks_and_Pols wrote:Time travel is definitely theoretically possible by the laws of physics.
As you approach the speed of light, time slows down, so in that sense you could "time travel."
Will it ever be as simple as it is made out to be in the movies? That is a definite no.
I highly doubt we will see anything close to fictionalized time travel in our lifetimes or even in our great-grandkids lives.
That does not mean however that we should stop trying to advance our scientific understanding and technologies for future future generations.

This makes sense. I was gonna say that I don't think it's as simple as building a machine and setting a date, but I wouldn't rule it out a few generations down the road.

Sorry Dr. Brown, you tell a good story but that's all it is.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 pm

The pyramids weren't that hard to build... all they had to do was get like 150 people to pull the stone across a lubricated surface and then up ramps that they simply changed the angle of in order to get the next stone up

Sure, it was time consuming, but it wasn't that hard. And it's not like they were too busy playing xbox or something
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:17 am

here's the thing. if you go back even like 30 years, there is a good amount of today's technology that would have seemed theoretically impossible. I'm extremely hesitant to say that ANYTHING is impossible, when the future holds technological innovations that I will without a doubt find to be entirely alien and inconceivable. Who is to say what our understanding of the universe is in 2 or 3 hundred years? or 2 or 3 thousand years? Whatever our future of humanity is.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:18 am

Mr. Colby wrote:The pyramids weren't that hard to build... all they had to do was get like 150 people to pull the stone across a lubricated surface and then up ramps that they simply changed the angle of in order to get the next stone up

please explain how you could cut, transport, and place each of the two ton stones every 9 seconds.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:54 am

What I find fun is ... let's assume that time-travel is possible sometime in the future. If someone comes back in time and changes history, we wouldn't know it, would we? We would just have our normal memories like we always do. But those memories are tied to history, which is being changed. The instant our history is changed by time-travel, our entire personal history is changed, without us knowing it.

Assuming time-travel in the future and future-folk changing history, we could have lived a million different lives in just the last few minutes. History changing in a flashing kaleidoscope that we can't see because we're in the kaleidoscope itself.

... If that makes sense.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to NHR