Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby columbia on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:05 am

Like planking, Herbert Spencer will be vindicated.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,326
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:18 am

BigMcK wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Yeah but why should a CEO get paid like a CEO?


An organization as large as Goodwill has many contractual obligations that require someone that can understand and manage generated revenues. Revenues that require someone that understands the legalities of such lofty numbers are key to survival. Employees, assets, permits, insurances, utilities, government nonprofit filings of general ledgers, etc....

Yeah, that is a full time job worthy of someone that understands it all and worthy of said compensation.


The $750K salary was brought up in the context of workers being paid something like $4 an hour.

It slightly hypocritical to expect the entire workforce to work for dismal wages, probably justified to them by their "cause". I'm sure he earns that salary, and I don't know the conditions that people work at goodwill, volunteer sort of thing? I'm not sure, but it's just a non-profit operating quite like a for profit. Not criticizing, just observing, they can do whatever they want, but i'll be a little skeptical about their "charity" work going forward.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,237
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:57 am

"earn" 750K a year? I can't fathom the amount of work that earns $14,423 a WEEK. I guess that's why I will never make that much.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,893
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby stopper40 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:17 am

dodint wrote:Wouldn't water spilled outside just evaporate and return to the ecosystem via the water cycle we all learned about in 3rd grade?


I pointed the same thing out to a friend who had the same complaint about it the challenge.

I realize the challenge has raised awareness and a ton of money for ALS but my complaint is now that it's been so successful every charity and every cause is now going to come up with something silly for everyone to do to help raise money and everyone's facebook wall is going to be filled with them.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,937
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby DelPen on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:12 am

still annoyed at people with bowls of water with a couple ice cubes. buy a **** bag of ice, empty it in a **** bucket then fill with water. dump that on your head you ****.

Wife and daughter did this yesterday AND we donated to a friends walk for cure campaign, i know for a fact some people doing this to look like they care aren't donating after bragging they are which is a shame.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,905
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 am

I just saw one with a skid steer with the bucket full of water, 3 bags of ice, and she's in a bikini top and her sweat pants fell half way down when the water hit her. That one was well done.

Spoiler:
For those that don't know what a skid steer is:

Image
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,973
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:21 am

was she hot

and was it a john deere or some off brand non 'merican skid steer from asia
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,133
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:15 pm
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby count2infinity on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:22 am

hot, yeah... bat **** crazy, oh absolutely.

not sure the brand, it was straight on, so didn't see any marks.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,973
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 am

stopper40 wrote:
I realize the challenge has raised awareness and a ton of money for ALS but my complaint is now that it's been so successful every charity and every cause is now going to come up with something silly for everyone to do to help raise money and everyone's facebook wall is going to be filled with them.


That is a fair complaint.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,797
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby dodint on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:25 am

The Marian Gaborik one was pretty good. Had a zamboni dump its ice shaving load onto him while he laid on the ice, wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and skates.

My friend would've made DelPen proud. Took a 10lb bag of ice and let it melt for about 20 minutes and added 32oz of water, and dumped that. Forgot to take his sunglasses off and the ice knocked out a lens.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,855
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:57 am
Location: Sparta! (WI)

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 am

I think the random people doing this thing is pointless. You arent raising awareness. Celebrities are. I dont use facebook so it doesnt really affect me though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,887
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby dodint on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:38 am

I was made aware that my friends mother died after suffering from ALS, which is one more person I've ever heard of having it other than Lou Gehrig. I was already aware of it, but now it has a 'face' for me, which is something.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,855
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:57 am
Location: Sparta! (WI)

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:19 am

Troy Loney wrote:
BigMcK wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Yeah but why should a CEO get paid like a CEO?


An organization as large as Goodwill has many contractual obligations that require someone that can understand and manage generated revenues. Revenues that require someone that understands the legalities of such lofty numbers are key to survival. Employees, assets, permits, insurances, utilities, government nonprofit filings of general ledgers, etc....

Yeah, that is a full time job worthy of someone that understands it all and worthy of said compensation.


The $750K salary was brought up in the context of workers being paid something like $4 an hour.

It slightly hypocritical to expect the entire workforce to work for dismal wages, probably justified to them by their "cause". I'm sure he earns that salary, and I don't know the conditions that people work at goodwill, volunteer sort of thing? I'm not sure, but it's just a non-profit operating quite like a for profit. Not criticizing, just observing, they can do whatever they want, but i'll be a little skeptical about their "charity" work going forward.



Its really only because its being taken out of context. People see big numbers and make assumptions without understanding what they mean. Big Dollar Numbers = Bad.
He is the CEO of Goodwill which has 3,000 stores and countless programs. Meaning if he gave up his salary it would be $250 to each store.

As far as them not being a non profit or you being skeptical that is very shorts sighted. They are one of the better ones giving around 80% of revenues back to their programs.
Maybe the CEO shouldn't make $750,000 because it looks bad in general to those who don't understand the process. However, in the real world that $750,000 doesnt mean as much as it appears.

That guy could be responsible for growing the company financially that goes beyond $250 per store and helps countless others.
I mean its a billion dollar enterprise with functions beyond retail stores. Just because people volunteer or makes smaller wages in no means has any bearing on them being run like a business.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby newarenanow on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:22 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:
BigMcK wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Yeah but why should a CEO get paid like a CEO?


An organization as large as Goodwill has many contractual obligations that require someone that can understand and manage generated revenues. Revenues that require someone that understands the legalities of such lofty numbers are key to survival. Employees, assets, permits, insurances, utilities, government nonprofit filings of general ledgers, etc....

Yeah, that is a full time job worthy of someone that understands it all and worthy of said compensation.


The $750K salary was brought up in the context of workers being paid something like $4 an hour.

It slightly hypocritical to expect the entire workforce to work for dismal wages, probably justified to them by their "cause". I'm sure he earns that salary, and I don't know the conditions that people work at goodwill, volunteer sort of thing? I'm not sure, but it's just a non-profit operating quite like a for profit. Not criticizing, just observing, they can do whatever they want, but i'll be a little skeptical about their "charity" work going forward.



Its really only because its being taken out of context. People see big numbers and make assumptions without understanding what they mean. Big Dollar Numbers = Bad.
He is the CEO of Goodwill which has 3,000 stores and countless programs. Meaning if he gave up his salary it would be $250 to each store.

As far as them not being a non profit or you being skeptical that is very shorts sighted. They are one of the better ones giving around 80% of revenues back to their programs.
Maybe the CEO shouldn't make $750,000 because it looks bad in general to those who don't understand the process. However, in the real world that $750,000 doesnt mean as much as it appears.

That guy could be responsible for growing the company financially that goes beyond $250 per store and helps countless others.
I mean its a billion dollar enterprise with functions beyond retail stores. Just because people volunteer or makes smaller wages in no means has any bearing on them being run like a business.


:thumb:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,788
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby newarenanow on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:51 am

Just saw a tweet that said the ALS national Society raised a total of $23.7MM in 2013 in donations. In 22 days, the ice bucket challenge raised $22.9MM.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,788
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:41 pm

I wonder if other charities are getting less money because people are paying attention to the ALS ones.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,898
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: wat

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby DelPen on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:47 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I wonder if other charities are getting less money because people are paying attention to the ALS ones.


Doubt it, people might be donating who don't normally but my regular charity hasn't reduced because I added ALS.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,905
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm

So is it cured yet or what?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,780
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:50 pm

I forget that its for a charity until someone argues all the help its doing. Im definitely a rare case in that i dont get past a fad annoying me, but i am sure next time i see a video posted i will forget to associate it with a charity again.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,887
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Bucket ... rticipants


I found the fact that the Wiki page has a "notable participants" list pretty funny. I like how Hillary Duff, Bill Gates and The Miz are all on the same list.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,898
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:18 pm
Location: wat

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby JS© on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:00 pm

Image
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,938
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Trying to avoid the mumps.

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby pittsports87 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Charlie Sheen with the best one:
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,497
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:44 am
Location: College

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby Eismann on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I forget that its for a charity until someone argues all the help its doing. Im definitely a rare case in that i dont get past a fad annoying me, but i am sure next time i see a video posted i will forget to associate it with a charity again.


Image
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,101
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:14 am
Location: The tundra of human rights

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby DelPen on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:30 am

Oh, it's the first day of school in my town today. Thankfully everyone posted their kids heading off today to remind me why trffic will suck until June now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,905
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Official LGP Facebook Complaint Thread

Postby mac5155 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:11 am

I was nominated for the ice bucket challenge, but I am declining. There are pros and cons to this way of fundraising and overall I don't agree with it. The ice bucket challenge has raised awareness significantly and has raised an outstanding amount of funding - which is truly a great thing and if you believe in this organization then by all means donate and support their cause! Before this challenge, I knew little about ALS, but once I did some research, talked to some peeps, and thought long and hard, I realized ALSA is not a charity I am willing to donate money to and here's why:
- Do I agree with how the ALSA does research? No - I am UBER pro-life and disagree with embryonic stem cell research. In most cases the embryo is destroyed after harvesting stem cells.
- Is the water even ice cold after adding ice right before the dump? No - that water sure as hell did not reach a temperature close to freezing.
- Will my donation be sustainable for the future? No - If I donated today by doing this ice bucket challenge, there is little to no chance I will donate the same time next year.
- Am I about to be peer pressured and guilt tripped into giving a donation? Not for a hot second. I want to donate money to an organization that I feel strongly about, not because someone challenged me to it.
- Is the water being dumped dirty, non drinkable water? Not likely. Do you know how many people in the world do not have clean water to drink?
I did find another organization that does ALS research and is pro-life. I made a donation to that organization and I urge everyone to know where your money is going when donating to charities (myself included). Nope, I'm not going to print screen my "thank you for your donation" note from the organization so you'll have to take my word for it.

http://www.jp2mri.org/about.htm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5376892

http://www.cirm.ca.gov/our-progress/myt ... l-research

https://cbhd.org/stem-cell-research/overview

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frmichaeld ... challenge/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Pau ... 8292251766

http://www.rtl.org/prolife_issues/ESCRsupporters.html


mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,149
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mikey287 and 8 guests


e-mail