NFL attendance, HDTV, and the stadium of the future

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NFL attendance, HDTV, and the stadium of the future

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -standing/

some highly paid executive dude wrote:“What if a new stadium we built wasn't 70,000, but it was 40,000 seats with 20,000 standing room?” Grubman said. “But the standing room was in a bar-type environment with three sides of screens, and one side where you see the field. Completely connected. And in those three sides of screens, you not only got every piece of NFL content, including replays, Red Zone [Channel], and analysis, but you got every other piece of news and sports content that you would like to have if you were at home.

Huh? What?

This screams a few things to me
1) they are trying to go after fans that have no real interest in the game and are more interesting in being AT the game than watching it

2) they're desperate to get a chunk of the lost revenue known as tailgating

The NFL doesn't have an attendance problem in any city that has an annually competitive team. The problems are in the cities where they have rarely (if at all) made the playoffs in the last 5-10 years. Those are markets they should be lowering ticket prices in. Lowering them for the Steelers, as much as I'd love that in theory, likely won't matter much to me. I'll still need to fork out at least $150 to a scalper to sit way up in the high bleachers in the cold.

If I were changing stadiums I'd try getting the seats closer to the field (as if that is actually possible) and I'd try to get more of them heated in some way.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: NFL attendance, HDTV, and the stadium of the future

Postby Dgenx321 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:55 pm

Yea, thats called stay home and watch it for free, and buy a 24 pack for the price you would bay for two beers there...

One of the dumbest ideas i have ever heard.
Dgenx321
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BigMcK on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm

http://newsantaclarastadium.com/about#/features

'Through partnerships with local, national, and international technology providers, the stadium will be a showcase for innovation in Silicon Valley. Featuring stadium-wide WiFi capability, mobile connectivity, IPTV, and colossal HD video boards measuring over 13,000 square feet, no one will miss a minute of the action!'
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby since1970 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:20 pm

.....looking at this on the surface, it seems ridiculous, but if you see what happens at bars around here on Sunday when the Steelers play it's not so far fetched. I'd still build a 60,000 seat stadium and the 10,000 SRO bar, but the SRO seats would be less expensive. We all know there'd be a lot of Steeler fans going to this, cause the Nation are the game's greatest fans. (sic)........truthfully, I could see this working here. Give the season ticket waiting list first crack to buy for a season, and they're still on the list, with no PSL, who knows ?
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Face, meet palm.

Yes, let's please take all of the 'live' out of attending a live sporting event. Look at the wonderful success the Cowboys have had in their new mausoleum stadium.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jopaz on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Face, meet palm.

Yes, let's please take all of the 'live' out of attending a live sporting event. Look at the wonderful success the Cowboys have had in their new mausoleum stadium.

On-field success of the Cowboys aside, I think their new stadium does have a standing section where people watch on the big screen, and it fills up most games.
Not much different than the people who watch Pens games on a big screen outside of the arena - I think people would pay a reasonable price for that experience.
Also, when I do go to a Steelers game the one thing I miss is the access to scores/stats/highlights from other games. If they can provide that also with NFL Red Zone or equivalent, it could become popular for fans that can't afford or can't get regular tickets.
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:36 pm

I dont know if its because Im getting older, but each season I feel like attending less and less games no matter what the sport. I limit myself to one college FB game a year, maybe 3-5 Pirates game (and at least 2 are usually bar sponsered bus trips) and honestly I have zero desire to go to a Pens game anytime soon. Obviously money is an issue, but over the past 5 years I've had a ton of hookups for free Pens tickets, and it still felt like a pain to make the effort to go. I have more fun at the bar or on a friends couch no matter what it is anymore.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:38 pm

My fiancee's sister went to the steeler game in the Big D and said the entire show seemed forced and lame. She also said that it is the quietest stadium ever, the only people making noise were the Steeler fans. Guess that's cause everyone is there for the stadium, not the game.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:11 pm

the real rationale behind this is that the nfl can "fill the seats" with less paid tickets and have the 20k+ as overflow. more people going to games at standing room only will make the seats seem more valuable. im not as against this as you guys. i think it makes sense if there is a concern that stadiums arent getting filled because people may feel duped paying for nosebleeds.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:06 pm

I don't think this is far fetched. It's not like the SRO will be socializing-- it will be more like a rabid team bar. Let's face it: at football games it's hard to see the game from bad seat--TV is better. This combines the reason we go to the game "to be there," while makingviewing easier and more comfortable.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jopaz on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 pm

If you ever noticed Club Section at a Steelers games and most NFL stadiums, on a cold day everyone goes into the club at half time and stays there for the second half. Sounds like the same concept, and better than sitting in the cheap seats in the rain and snow.
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:I dont know if its because Im getting older, but each season I feel like attending less and less games no matter what the sport. I limit myself to one college FB game a year, maybe 3-5 Pirates game (and at least 2 are usually bar sponsered bus trips) and honestly I have zero desire to go to a Pens game anytime soon. Obviously money is an issue, but over the past 5 years I've had a ton of hookups for free Pens tickets, and it still felt like a pain to make the effort to go. I have more fun at the bar or on a friends couch no matter what it is anymore.

I'm the same way. I had free tickets to go to the 3 Steelers games. By the time the third one came around, and I hate turning down free tickets, it seemed like it was more of a chore to go to the game, find parking, get to my seats, etc. I'm only 2-3 mi from Heinz Field, but it felt like by the time I waited for friends, family, whoever to meet me, the drive into the game, waiting to leave, and everything else...it felt like an all-day event. At home, I get the benefit of an HD feed, replays, cheap beer and other junk food, no bathroom lines (usually), and the option to do something else if I start getting uninterested, all the while not freezing my sack off in the middle of December.

Now if I were traveling and I ran across the stadium of the future during a home game weekend, would I check it out? Probably, but only because it seems like a novelty.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:17 pm

The problem with the NFL is that it is an ultra boring sport to watch in person. I have turned down free steeler tickets many times, even back when I cared about the team enough to watch the games. Eliminate the TV timeouts every 3 plays and maybe people will show up to the game in person. That also explains why NFL crowds are nothing compared to Canadian NHL crowds or Euro Soccer.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:23 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:The problem with the NFL is that it is an ultra boring sport to watch in person. I have turned down free steeler tickets many times, even back when I cared about the team enough to watch the games. Eliminate the TV timeouts every 3 plays and maybe people will show up to the game in person. That also explains why NFL crowds are nothing compared to Canadian NHL crowds or Euro Soccer.

I agree with this. Even football on TV is a drag. Its a big reason I have dwindled the amount of football I watch.

The only reason I watched a good bit of football this year was NFL Red zone and my accident. If neither of those things existed I wouldn't have watched much.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:28 pm

This will be the 2nd year in a row that I skip the Super Bowl.
I watch the Steelers for some familial/cultural/hometown pride obligation thing, but can't really hang with the NFL otherwise.

For the first time in my life, I am far more likely to catch a CFB game than the pros.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 pm

I'm primarily watching the super bowl because it is homework
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR