Snowmobiler Caleb Moore dies from X Games Injuries

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Snowmobiler Caleb Moore dies from X Games Injuries

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57566943/caleb-moore-dies-after-winter-x-games-snowmobile-crash-in-colo/

Caleb Moore was attempting a backflip Jan. 24 in the freestyle event when the skis on his 450-pound snowmobile caught the lip of the landing area, sending him flying over the handlebars. Moore landed face first into the snow with his snowmobile rolling over him.

Moore stayed down for quite some time, before walking off with help and going to a hospital to treat a concussion. Moore developed bleeding around his heart and was flown to a hospital in Grand Junction for surgery. The family later said that Moore, of Krum, Texas, also had a complication involving his brain.

Colten Moore was injured in a separate crash that same night. He suffered a separated pelvis in the spill.

Shocked it took this long for someone to die at the X Games.
Last edited by shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Snowboarder Caleb Moore dies from X Games Injuries

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:53 pm

Sounds brutal
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:22 pm

A buddy of mine was out there for this and saw this. Just yesterday he was telling me about it and said it was crazy how he walked away from it. I forwarded him the CNN article and he responded that it wasn't really shocking the way the crash happened.

I guess this guys brother shattered his pelvis in an accident at the X games too.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ShipHockey7 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 pm

*snowmobiler
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:33 pm

just youtube'd the video...eesh.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 pm

ShipHockey7 wrote:*snowmobiler

Good call
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 pm

Stuff like this reminds me how close to getting killed I was. To eventually walk away with nothing more than slight disability and nasty scars is crazy
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Snowmobiler Caleb Moore dies from X Games Injuries

Postby Godric on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 pm

I ride BMX, I snowboard, I kite Surf and I do stupid things all the time but this snowmobiling **** is retarded.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:49 pm

He knew right away that it was going to be bad and he hesitated, tried to save it, then got back into the trick and it was too late.

Godric wrote:I ride BMX, I snowboard, I kite Surf and I do stupid things all the time but this snowmobiling **** is retarded.

Uh, sure.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Godric wrote:I ride BMX, I snowboard, I kite Surf and I do stupid things all the time but this snowmobiling **** is retarded.

Uh, sure.

Its just my opinion man, I don't mean to offend anyone but its in the similar vain as smoking to me. Why would you do crazy **** like that with a snowmobile or ATV/Quad whatever. Its seriously no different than smoking or eating a crud diet and being super unhealthy.... its all lifestyle choices brah.

idk I guess I'm don't share the the appreciation for the feeling it gives me... but on the other hand I have much respect for those crazy free climbers that die all the time
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:42 pm

Godric wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

Uh, sure.

Its just my opinion man, I don't mean to offend anyone but its in the similar vain as smoking to me. Why would you do crazy **** like that with a snowmobile or ATV/Quad whatever. Its seriously no different than smoking or eating a crud diet and being super unhealthy.... its all lifestyle choices brah.

idk I guess I'm don't share the the appreciation for the feeling it gives me... but on the other hand I have much respect for those crazy free climbers that die all the time

Not to offend, but your point of view makes no sense to me. Why would freeclimbers do crazy **** like that? Why do people jump out of airplanes? Travis Pastrana is a nutcase and one of the most popular athletes on the planet They're all going for the same thing: The rush.. Yet you have 'much respect' for one group but not another. Its all lifestyle choices for sure. But if you can respect one group of people that dies doing something they love, but not another, then... I dunno. Maybe if you bit the dust kitesurfing I'd say 'well thats **** stupid, the dude shoulda killed himself on a snowboard so I could respect him"
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:48 pm

It's sad when something like this happens. It is however the definition of someone dying doing what they love. They know the risks, it's sad it happened, but I don't think it should change anything. It's a high risk sport, the athletes know that, the networks know that, the extreme consequences are very real in these sports. TJ Lavin almost died from riding a bicycle. These things are accepted... I can't decide if it's bad or good that the x-games and extreme sports in general will take this in a major way and change things... it's reminiscent of the olympic luge death a couple years ago. The sport should continue while one of their own is always in their memories.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:
Godric wrote:
mac5155 wrote:

Uh, sure.

Not to offend, but your point of view makes no sense to me. Why would freeclimbers do crazy **** like that? Why do people jump out of airplanes? Travis Pastrana is a nutcase and one of the most popular athletes on the planet They're all going for the same thing: The rush.. Yet you have 'much respect' for one group but not another. Its all lifestyle choices for sure. But if you can respect one group of people that dies doing something they love, but not another, then... I dunno. Maybe if you bit the dust kitesurfing I'd say 'well thats **** stupid, the dude shoulda killed himself on a snowboard so I could respect him"

I think I know what he's getting at. Stuff like skiing, snowboarding, skating, it's more of a natural thing since it's more about the momentum that carries you. The only thing that limits your speed is the size of the ramp and perhaps style (i.e. compressing at certain points in the ramp.)

With an ATV, a dirt bike, or a snowmobile, not only are you dealing with the weight of the object that you're riding, but you're also dealing with how quick you can rip through your gears for max height. With this, the higher you go, the harder you fall. There's only so much you can do on a board, but every time somebody goes up on something motorized, you're dealing with so many other factors. I'm not saying they should stop and that it's too high risk, because each one of these riders know what they're getting into before the throw on their helmet. It's not like you can tell them "I know we're X-Games, but we don't want you to go as high and you should probably be careful."
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:53 am

canaan wrote:just youtube'd the video...eesh.

Me too. Looked like it wasn't the fall, but the snowmobile rolling over him that was the fatal blow. Such a shame...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to NHR