Pastor doesn't tip waitress at Applebee's, waitress fired

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pastor doesn't tip waitress at Applebee's, waitress fire

Postby obhave on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:32 pm

Alejandro Rojas wrote:When did women get to be pastor's? I must have missed that class in my Orthodox upbringing.

Women cannot be priest in the Catholic tradition, but they can be pastors in other sects of Christianity.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:36 pm

Pastor Alois Bell's Page on abcpreachers.com.

:lol:

She is really taking it on the chin.

shafnutz05 wrote:I am not denying that this pastor is a colossal D-bag. And he should be exposed as a selfish fraud to his church. However, I still find no fault in her getting fired. You simply can't post customer receipts with their names/signatures on the Internet.

pittsoccer33 wrote:im surprised how many servers post pictures of receipts, positive and negative. they're just asking to be fired. theres nothing in the handbook about that? what about common sense?

Missouri is an at-will employment state, so she can be fired for pretty much any reason at the whim of her employer. But in terms of the legality or violation of policy...... I'm not entirely sure she did anything wrong. I'm not sure what the reasonable expectation of privacy is with regard to credit card receipts when the receipt is being used by the cardholder as a means of communication (the good reverend clearly didn't want the receipt to simply be a business record, so I don't know if the privacy considerations still hold).

The only spot where I think the waitress messed up was not blurring out the signature. That's likely a violation of the terms of use of the original website she uploaded the image to (a name, if uncommon, is considered personally identifiable information, as is handwriting).

mac5155 wrote:Did you look at the picture? her name is not even on it - she didnt respond to any requests to confirm or deny her identity - and its a cash receipt.

Umm........
Spoiler:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Alejandro Rojas on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:38 pm

obhave wrote:
Alejandro Rojas wrote:When did women get to be pastor's? I must have missed that class in my Orthodox upbringing.

Women cannot be priest in the Catholic tradition, but they can be pastors in other sects of Christianity.

Silly Protestants. I guess that is what you get when it is just "the Bible and Me!"
Alejandro Rojas
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:40 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Did you look at the picture? her name is not even on it - she didnt respond to any requests to confirm or deny her identity - and its a cash receipt.

Umm........
Spoiler:

I was referencing the picture in the reddit thread I posted - didnt realize there was a different one on thesmokinggun
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Godric on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:43 pm

The "Further proof black people don't tip" comments are pretty uncalled for

edit: dang, I'm reading more of the comments... they are really letting her have it
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby meow on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:44 pm

Godric wrote:The "Further proof black people don't tip" comments are pretty uncalled for

People that don't tip are scum, no matter what race or ethnicity.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:50 pm

Godric wrote:The "Further proof black people don't tip" comments are pretty uncalled for

edit: dang, I'm reading more of the comments... they are really letting her have it

Sadly, from my five years experience in that industry, that's a well-established stereotype.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:58 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

Sadly, from my five years experience in that industry, that's a well-established stereotype.

Indeed, I was going to mention that several books I’ve read that were written by waitstaff (for example, Waiting by Debra Ginsberg, which is a good book and a bargain at $3 for the Kindle version), mention that African-American customers generally are more demanding, offer more complaints, and tip less than customers of other races. While I’ve never worked in that field, my brother’s ex-girlfriend worked for years as a waitress in places like Outback Steakhouse, and she said that from her experience the “blacks don’t tip” stereotype was unfortunately quite accurate.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Godric on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:01 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

Since I moved out to Los Angeles, I can't tell you how many times I got stiffed when I deserved a really good tip and the party that stiffed me was driving a $50,000+ vehicle (Benz mostly) and they were jewish ..... That bothers me way more than the high school dropout crowd back in quip that would stiff me 10 cents off the bill let alone tip me :lol:

its weird, I don't think anyone could ever honestly call me a racist because my best friend since we were kids is black and a good friend of mine out here in LA is jewish and plays hockey... but Stereotypes are right sometimes

EDIT: Neither of my friends would ever stiff anyone
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:06 pm

You're out in Woodland Hills, right? The area from Encino (where I live now) through Tarzana and into WH is like Little Persia. Day after we moved I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and thought I had been transported to Tehran.

And I think I have established some cred here as a fairly open and tolerant guy.......... but good god the people of that flavor that I've encountered are awful people. I don't know what it is, and I certainly won't paint with a broad bush, but geez. Cutting you off in traffic, using the center turning lane to pass, hitting you with their shopping cart and not apologizing.

The good news is there are also a lot of Jewish people in that area. Which means delis. Which means pastrami and Reubens.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:08 pm

tifosi77 wrote:You're out in Woodland Hills, right? The area from Encino (where I live now) through Tarzana and into WH is like Little Persia. Day after we moved I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond and thought I had been transported to Tehran.

And I think I have established some cred here as a fairly open and tolerant guy.......... but good god the people of that flavor that I've encountered are awful people. I don't know what it is, and I certainly won't paint with a broad bush, but geez. Cutting you off in traffic, using the center turning lane to pass, hitting you with their shopping cart and not apologizing.

The good news is there are also a lot of Jewish people in that area. Which means delis. Which means pastrami and Reubens.

Yeah bro, I work in encino its **** terrible. I wish I knew Yiddish, Hebrew and Farsi just so I could cuss out some of these SOBs
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

tifosi77 wrote:

How are the bagels?

When I leave NY (like right now) the thing that I miss the most are the bagels.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:20 pm

gah new yorkers and their stupid bagels. so insufferable.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Good thread.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:22 pm

I tried nova lox on a bagel for the first time a couple weeks ago, and absolutely loved it.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:23 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:gah new yorkers and their stupid bagels. so insufferable.

Spoken like a man who's never had a bagel from H&H.

Brueggers and Einsteins are not real bagels. :wink:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Steve on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:29 pm

Lox and Cream cheese really shouldn't work on a bagel - but somehow it does. Delicous.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:47 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

How are the bagels?

When I leave NY (like right now) the thing that I miss the most are the bagels.

Bagels are stupid. :P
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:59 pm

I love bagels.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:gah new yorkers and their stupid bagels. so insufferable.

Spoken like a man who's never had a bagel from H&H.

Brueggers and Einsteins are not real bagels. :wink:

Brueggers bagels are amazingly good! As far as my personal knowledge of what a good bagel should taste like.

Probably offer a more diverse product line? Jalapeno and melted cheddar cheese comes to mind...
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:30 pm

tifosi77 wrote:The area from Encino (where I live now).

so...youre an Encino man? Linkovich Tifosi?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:37 pm

After being in Europe for 3 weeks tipping is quite a stupid thing. Pay the waiters/waitresses a fair wage and it's a non-issue. The service in Europe was almost always great and those guys/gals didn't work on tips. The theory here is if they work for tips the service will be better but the reality is servers expect a tip without the service. It was still possible for the wait-staff to get tipped overseas but they had to provide excellent service and almost all of them did. The American view of wait-staff and tips is quite flawed after that experience.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:43 pm

There is also a different mindset in Europe with regard to the service industry. Most people in this country who are waiters/waitresses are doing it to pay the bills and that's it. They're punching a ticket. There is still a tradition in many European nations where that is a somewhat highly regarded career that you go into with the full expectation that your working life will be waiting tables and catering to customers.

canaan wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:The area from Encino (where I live now).

so...youre an Encino man? Linkovich Tifosi?

Actually, my boss also lives in Encino, about 1 mile from me. (I drive by her house on my commute every day) And her sub-division is called "Encino Village", and it was built on the bones of the former RKO Encino Ranch film studio backlot. Many movies in the 30s and 40s were filmed there, notably "Citizen Kane" and "It's A Wonderful Life" (what is today called Aldea Avenue was once Main Street in Bedford Falls).
Last edited by tifosi77 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:50 pm

tifosi77 wrote:There is also a different mindset in Europe with regard to the service industry. Most people in this country who are waiters/waitresses are doing it to pay the bills and that's it. They're punching a ticket. There is still a tradition in many European nations where that is a somewhat highly regarded career that you go into with the full expectation that your working life will be waiting tables and catering to customers.

To paraphrase Reservoir Dogs waiting tables is one of the only professions an uneducated person can make a real living at. Instead of feeling like they're entitled to the tips how about they do the work that is expected to earn 15-20%
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yubb on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:45 am

My old lady worked at Galifty's (sp?) in Squirrel Hill back in the day. A table came in and one guy says to her "I'm going to make your life a living hell." And he did.

I hate eating out with someone that's mean or fussy and I have to do that next week. I need a way to distance myself from this person so the waitstaff knows I'm not a jerk like she is.
yubb
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR