Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Burger King...Have it your "neigh" Horsemeat burgers

Postby Kaizer on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 pm

i've been eating horsey sauce for years, about time i got the meat to go with it.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby redwill on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:27 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
redwill wrote:It's pretty stupid to refuse to eat nutritious meat, isn't it?

You're presuming it's nutritious.... there's actually a fairly high risk of vitamin poisoning from dog meat, and there have been cases (admittedly rare) where rabies has been transmitted via cooked dog meat. So it isn't really a 1:1 proxy like you assert.

You wiki well.

Wikipedia wrote:In addition to the potentially fatal dangers of vitamin poisoning from consuming dog meat, such as under the circumstances suffered by Xavier Mertz of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition after consuming the overly rich in Vitamin A liver of his sled dogs, the transmission of rabies to humans from dog meat consumption have been reported in two cases in China, one in Vietnam, and two deaths reported in the Philippines.

So I guess the lesson is not to eat the liver of your sled dogs, huh?

It's not too unlike rabbit starvation, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

But there's not much call to restrict eating rabbit. Like anything else, a diet of dog meat in conjunction with other healthy diet elements can be healthy, nutritious, and enriching.

As for the (admittedly rare) possibility of rabies transmission, what about the host of diseases that can in theory be transmitted (much more readily than rabies via dogs) from other animals to humans? Do you refuse to eat beef because of the (admittedly rare) threat of BSE?

C'mon, you happy cooks! Give it a try:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Grilled_Dog
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:13 pm

More bad news for people looking to get their horse meat fix....

Aldi confirms up to 100% horsemeat in beef products
Supermarket says it is angry with supplier Comigel after tests reveal 30% and 100% horsemeat in withdrawn ready meals
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013 ... f-products
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby viva la ben on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:16 pm

If my Aldi's lasagna contains 100% horsemeat, then horsemeat is 100% delicious.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Let me show you their angry faces.

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Spangler wrote:You say "contaminated" like horse meat is automatically poisonous or something. Meat contamination could easily happen with a pig as it would a horse. That fact that it's a horse should be irrelevant.

Not what is meant by 'contaminate' in this context.

Simply having two meats from different species of animal ending up in the same batch means that batch has been contaminated. It doesn't meant that it's riddled with pathogens, just that something labeled 'beef' is not supposed to have any meat from a pig.

redwill wrote:It's not too unlike rabbit starvation, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

Wait, I'm confused.... you are citing us to a condition that exists when you eat basically only lean meat and no other sources of nutrition, a condition which is highly dependent upon environmental factors to manifest. And....... that means.............. we....... should.......... eat.......... dogs?

All I was pointing out was that your assertion that dog meat is nutritious is not something that can be taken at face value. In addition to the vitamin poisoning and rabies concerns I Wiki'd, there are actually studies that show linkages to dog meat consumption to things as varied as heart disease and infertility. A lot of that has to do with the manner in which dogs raised for consumption are penned during their lives (terribly), and the increased hormone levels of 'emotional' animals like dogs translating to the butchered meat. Even if the animals was once a pet, it is very difficult to slaughter a dog in a way that does not result in a massive release of fear pheromones that end up in the muscle proteins.

So, in addition to me not wanting to eat dogs because I see a substantial moral difference between my beagles and the cow that went into my hamburger at lunch, there are also sound nutritional reasons to not eat the things.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:11 pm

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:37 pm

71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to NHR