Super Bowl XLVII - GDT

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Super Bowl XLVII - GDT

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:41 pm

the officiating was pretty terrible, so it's reasonable to think it affected the game.

it's a small detail i know, but when he pointed the wrong way when calling out a penalty in the first half, it looked like the dude was legit nervous.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:48 pm

Relatedly, are we full of whine re offensive and defensive pass interference, or do the Ravens get every call? Do they strategize to exploit the rules? It seems like they get more calls than anyone, both ways and on both sides of the ball.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:Relatedly, are we full of whine re offensive and defensive pass interference, or do the Ravens get every call? Do they strategize to exploit the rules? It seems like they get more calls than anyone, both ways and on both sides of the ball.

i think they strategize. flacco throws balls into coverage all the time and the receivers are trained to

a) block out the DB from intercepting
b) flop
c) make the "throw the flag" motion when they're on the ground

it's too many years of this for it to be just mere coincidence
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm

They are smart because it works.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm

flacco does throw some duckballs into coverage that magically seem to work out, but i'm not sure his receivers do anything different then guys on every other team. i'm more intrigued by what their DB's do to avoid getting the calls on the other side of the ball. I think they just know the sort of contact that is allowed, and then extrapolate that to the point where the refs don't throw the flag.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kaizer on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:58 pm

in what way is that a characteristic of just the ravens. it happens in every game, to every team. the refs blew the call at the end though, that was way past letting them play.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens9192 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:00 pm

I can't believe SF didn't try a designed run for Kaepernick during their last series. He had 67 yards rushing the entire game and was gashing Baltimore and instead they try a run up the middle with their back up (?) RB, and three straight incomplete passes all to the same side of the field? What was up with that?! If I was a SF fan, I would be ticked.

But still, it shouldn't have come down to that. If they showed up in the 1st half, they are probably the champs and Ray Ray is still crying.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:06 pm

shmenguin wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:Relatedly, are we full of whine re offensive and defensive pass interference, or do the Ravens get every call? Do they strategize to exploit the rules? It seems like they get more calls than anyone, both ways and on both sides of the ball.

i think they strategize. flacco throws balls into coverage all the time and the receivers are trained to

b) flop

you forgot the pushing off that rarely gets called. I really think that this is the big reason why this season might be my last really caring about the NFL. Offenses are no longer based on skill. the qb's are protected too much, the days of the feature back are going away, and you can be a productive reciever without actually catching any balls. It drives me nuts.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:10 pm

also, i am amused by all the whining and conspiracy theories regarding the blackout i've heard today. The ravens WON, you idiots! STOP WHINING!

i also have a co-worker who actually believes that the league is out to get the ravens, and they never get any breaks on any of the calls. I can't remember a super bowl champion benefiting from iffy decisions as much as this ravens team. Hell, even the botch of the qb sneak in the steelers/seahawks game can be off-set by that terrible non-interception by troy against indy.

just so much whining.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:21 pm

If they wanted a black official so bad, why not Mike Carey? At least he is solidly qualified.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Froggy wrote:Oh, that's right. I keep forgetting that ravens fans don't exist outside of the Baltimore metro area

they exist for 5 minutes in the sycophantic world of the philadelphia suburbs, where joe flacco is king of all losers

It hasn't been quite Smarty Jones hysteria, but the Flacco bandwagon has been quite amazing. Smug Jerkface Harbaugh coached special teams and D backs for the Eagles for 9 years or so and that makes him "Philly's," too.

I'm just glad it's over. :lol:

You win some, you lose some.

Drop the puck! Let's go, Pens!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 pm

skullman80 wrote:They are smart because it works.

This. It's like diving in the NHL and hitting your baby brother. Until someone says you can't do it, well, then you keep doing it.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens9192 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Also I'm not sure the Ravens even make it to the Super Bowl, yet alone win it, if they still had Cam Cameron as their OC.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 pm

pens9192 wrote:Also I'm not sure the Ravens even make it to the Super Bowl, yet alone win it, if they still had Cam Cameron as their OC.

maybe, but caldwell's play calling should have cost them the denver game...but there's a fine line between what could have happened and what did happen in the NFL
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Froggy wrote:also, i am amused by all the whining and conspiracy theories regarding the blackout i've heard today. The ravens WON, you idiots! STOP WHINING!

i also have a co-worker who actually believes that the league is out to get the ravens, and they never get any breaks on any of the calls. I can't remember a super bowl champion benefiting from iffy decisions as much as this ravens team. Hell, even the botch of the qb sneak in the steelers/seahawks game can be off-set by that terrible non-interception by troy against indy.

just so much whining.

well, even IF ben's TD in that game was botched, it was off set by seattle playing like ass, they werent going to win anyway. balt. got a gift that could have resulted in them losing. i dont know what they have to complain about.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:23 pm

As I have said before, I would be all for a new rule that penalizes any player making a flag motion for unsportsmanlike conduct. I hate that almost every incomplete pass is followed by idiots waiving their arms in the air like they are doing a half-a**** disco.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:32 pm

joopen wrote:As I have said before, I would be all for a new rule that penalizes any player making a flag motion for unsportsmanlike conduct. I hate that almost every incomplete pass is followed by idiots waiving their arms in the air like they are doing a half-a**** disco.

They do it because it works.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Let's not forget the NFL adjusted the head official's grades because they wanted a black official to officiate the super bowl. When you bolster someone's credentials to get them in the game, expect bad calls

I think that's a stretch.

On my phone, but it isn't a stretch at all

If the NFL just wanted a black/minority ref, they could have put Mike Carey or Alberto Riveron there and no one would have cared. They wanted Jerome Boger there.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Well its been over 12 hours and Ray hasn't killed anyone yet while celebrating.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:57 pm

shmenguin wrote:

b) flop

This applies to every team.

The only exception is Mike Wallace, who appears to have been trained to approach any contested ball situation with the utmost caution.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:57 pm

mac5155 wrote:Well its been over 12 hours and Ray hasn't killed anyone yet while celebrating.

He obviously took care of buisness when the lights went out.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:05 pm

slappybrown wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

b) flop

This applies to every team.

i guess. without any statistical evidence to back my theory, it's just sour grapes. but i don't know if any records are publicized on pass interference per game by team.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:10 pm

I guess if one was feeling frisky, they could go back through box scores
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm

mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:06 pm

mac5155 wrote:Well its been over 12 hours and Ray hasn't killed anyone yet while celebrating.

I know I'm not going to stay if he walks into my local.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR