Super Bowl XLVII - GDT

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Super Bowl XLVII - GDT

Postby jprolley on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:51 pm

i love how godaddy trolls everyone every year with their super bowl ads. theirs are always among the best in my opinion, but always get rated as the worst. too much sensitivity.
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JeffDFD on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:34 pm

mac5155 wrote:Well its been over 12 hours and Ray hasn't killed anyone yet while celebrating.

Spoiler:
...that we know of...

Spoiler:
...practice makes perfect
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jagr's mullet on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:11 am

jagr's mullet
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:43 am

shmenguin wrote:
i guess. without any statistical evidence to back my theory, it's just sour grapes. but i don't know if any records are publicized on pass interference per game by team.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/def ... &year=2012

They don't seem to get more or less in terms of the number of PI calls, however in 2011 and 2012 they were #1 or #2 in yards they benefited from.

I don't care about "headshots" and all that other stuff they want to take out, that's fine. My problem with football is how it's turned pass interference into something you see in the NHL. It's different every game, and now as we've seen with the super bowl - it can't be called late in a close game because well - we have to let them play.

At the end of a super bowl, a play in which the Ravens benefit nearly every time from a penalty call is not called because it's 4th down and the super bowl rests on one play... which ref has the balls to make a "judgement call". Ike Taylor got called this year for laying a hand on a guy as they ran down the field. If the rules can't be consistent - take them out of the rule book.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 am

Ask yourself this - would Ryan Clark ever get away with this?

DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 am

Yeah, it was interesting how Phil Simms admitted that they wouldn't make any calls like that late in a game. Very NHL-ish, whistles put away, etc.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:30 am

Yeah, definitely a case of the officials changing the outcome of the game by not wanting to change the outcome of the game.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 am

I am growing really bored with the NFL and its crappy inconsistent rules. I never thought my interest would ever reach near 0 interest. Its a joke.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:46 am

I'm a 49er fan, and you guys are more upset over the calls than I am.

Could it have been PI.. sure. It could have been offensive PI too, hands were everywhere, plus the ball honestly wasn't even catchable so it's moot.

Plus the 49ers benefited from a call when they nailed Flacco when he was out of bounds that would have given the Ravens a new set of downs on 3rd.

The 49ers shouldn't have played like absolute **** the first 40 minutes of the game or so, and they wouldn't have even been in that position.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby viva la ben on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:29 am

That shot to the head was more damning than the holding on 4th down. Should have been half the distance and automatic first down.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 am

It's not about this game, though. It's about how bad the league has been in general the last few years. I'm really worried that you are going to see half the league employ the "chuck it down field and cry for a flag" strategy even more so now that it's proven to work.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 am

skullman80 wrote:I'm a 49er fan, and you guys are more upset over the calls than I am.

Could it have been PI.. sure. It could have been offensive PI too, hands were everywhere, plus the ball honestly wasn't even catchable so it's moot.

Plus the 49ers benefited from a call when they nailed Flacco when he was out of bounds that would have given the Ravens a new set of downs on 3rd.

The 49ers shouldn't have played like absolute **** the first 40 minutes of the game or so, and they wouldn't have even been in that position.

:thumb:
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 pm

I thought the ball was catchable on 4th down. My problem with it - I've seen the Ravens do this on quite a few occasions, and even Eli Manning... throw the ball up in the air, and have your WR get "tangled up" as he looks to the sky for the ball.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:24 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:I thought the ball was catchable on 4th down. My problem with it - I've seen the Ravens do this on quite a few occasions, and even Eli Manning... throw the ball up in the air, and have your WR get "tangled up" as he looks to the sky for the ball.

Yeah, it's easier to draw a pi call than it is to go up for a tough catch.

I'm being forced to endure the ravens parade right now. Ugh.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MelicharSux on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Froggy wrote:
DropEmJayBird wrote:I thought the ball was catchable on 4th down. My problem with it - I've seen the Ravens do this on quite a few occasions, and even Eli Manning... throw the ball up in the air, and have your WR get "tangled up" as he looks to the sky for the ball.

Yeah, it's easier to draw a pi call than it is to go up for a tough catch.

I'm being forced to endure the ravens parade right now. Ugh.

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Rylan wrote:I am growing really bored with the NFL and its crappy inconsistent rules. I never thought my interest would ever reach near 0 interest. Its a joke.

That's where I am with the league in general. I'm not even sure what is or isn't a penalty anymore. Half the time I'm questioning myself if I should be complaining a so-called bad call. Can't hit the QB here, can't touch the receiver within so many steps, what constitutes a possession, was the ball moving when he caught it and was hit from behind, was it roughing the kicker if the kicker is touched 8.78 seconds after the kick and the ball has already hit the netting behind the goal post...it's all nonsense.

Most of the rules sound like they were made up at a playground when the losing team was down by 10.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:47 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Ask yourself this - would Ryan Clark ever get away with this?

It's simple. God has never made a mistake.

:pop:
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Oh wow I never even noticed the helmet to helmet hit. Wow.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:57 pm

I enjoy telling my Cleveland buddy "congrats on the Browns second super bowl". He hates me.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:58 pm

That's major salt to wound rubbing NAN
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Rylan wrote:That's major salt to wound rubbing NAN

Bringing up Lebron and telling him that his great grandfather was the last of his family to witness a Cleveland professional championship does that. :D
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Steve on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm

I thought it was definately holding/pass interferance, if the ball was catchable - I'm not sure on the last part though. I missed that headshot, and I have to wonder, how did the refs miss it too? It's not like it happened on a deep pass where there was only one ref in the area - it was a goal line play.

Regardless - the 49ers dug too deep of a hole. They did a great job coming back - and still could have won it, but they just didnt' get it done at the end there. It's too bad they didn't get that play off (the one that har-bawl called the timeout) - it looked like Kap was going to walk into the end zone on that play.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MelicharSux on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:32 pm

People are in the streets in the parade route downtown.
MelicharSux
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 pm

A defensive holding penalty can be called regardless if the ball is catchable.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:21 pm

I honestly forget what yard the 9ers were on with that last play, but within 5 yards the CB can basically impose their will on a WR, so if it was within 5 yards than Defensive holding wouldn't matter.

I don't know why I'm defending this because my team lost, but I guess I just didn't see the travesty on that last play like everyone else did. Now the helmet to helmet should have been called. Again though, can't do anything about it. Don't dig that big of a whole in the first place to put yourself in that position. That's what I'm angry at my team about.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR