New Xbox won't play used games?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: New Xbox won't play used games?

Postby newarenanow on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:12 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:nan is probably still resentful that he cant rent games at iggle video these days.

They put freaking porch furniture in our old Iggle video by my house.

I miss the old video rental days. Good times.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:38 am

I miss the old iggle and VHS days as well. We used to know the manager at the monroeville one pretty well, and we would get the pre-release vhs that were unlabeled and had like "DO NOT RELEASE - THIS COPY NOT MEANT TO BE SOLD" or some continuous scrolling banner at the bottom. Hell, getting to watch movies 2-3 weeks before they hit the shelves was great! I still think it could do well if they stockpiled dvds. I sort of dislike redboxes because of the crazy freaking lines sometimes. I think redbox is def cool, but I do honestly believe iggle could do well also. Spent too much time typing this crap.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby newarenanow on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:57 am

SoupOrSam wrote:I miss the old iggle and VHS days as well. We used to know the manager at the monroeville one pretty well, and we would get the pre-release vhs that were unlabeled and had like "DO NOT RELEASE - THIS COPY NOT MEANT TO BE SOLD" or some continuous scrolling banner at the bottom. Hell, getting to watch movies 2-3 weeks before they hit the shelves was great! I still think it could do well if they stockpiled dvds. I sort of dislike redboxes because of the crazy freaking lines sometimes. I think redbox is def cool, but I do honestly believe iggle could do well also. Spent too much time typing this crap.

There is a reason they closed, and it's not due to redbox, it's mainly due to the fact that you can either stream almost any movie, or get it On Demand w/o even leaving your home. Redbox will be gone one day too.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:02 pm

newarenanow wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:I miss the old iggle and VHS days as well. We used to know the manager at the monroeville one pretty well, and we would get the pre-release vhs that were unlabeled and had like "DO NOT RELEASE - THIS COPY NOT MEANT TO BE SOLD" or some continuous scrolling banner at the bottom. Hell, getting to watch movies 2-3 weeks before they hit the shelves was great! I still think it could do well if they stockpiled dvds. I sort of dislike redboxes because of the crazy freaking lines sometimes. I think redbox is def cool, but I do honestly believe iggle could do well also. Spent too much time typing this crap.

There is a reason they closed, and it's not due to redbox, it's mainly due to the fact that you can either stream almost any movie, or get it On Demand w/o even leaving your home. Redbox will be gone one day too.

Video rental stores were going down the tubes long before streaming was available. Low priced DVDs made it easier for film fans to buy the movies rather than rent them (compared the glory days of VHS when a new tape sold for upwards of $75 each). Then Netflix and Redbox came around and hammered the nail into the coffin a lot further. Streaming was just the final tap.

I really don't see streaming catching on big time until prices come down. It's something like $7.99 to "rent" a HD movie from Vudu. Crazy when you can go to Family Video and get it for $3.50.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the errey i breathe on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Echoing earlier sentiments, I think this will essentially destroy Gamestop and will really put a damper on any games I buy because I'm not going to spend $60 on a game I end up hating and then get stuck with it. Plus I wouldn't be able to trade games with my brother in law to try out new stuff. I think there is a better way for game companies to get a piece of the used game revenue. Maybe make it so you have to buy a $5 code to activate the game if it's used or something.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:07 pm

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:12 pm

the errey i breathe wrote:Echoing earlier sentiments, I think this will essentially destroy Gamestop and will really put a damper on any games I buy because I'm not going to spend $60 on a game I end up hating and then get stuck with it. Plus I wouldn't be able to trade games with my brother in law to try out new stuff. I think there is a better way for game companies to get a piece of the used game revenue. Maybe make it so you have to buy a $5 code to activate the game if it's used or something.

Even at $5, I think it will just increase people modifying/hacking the system to play without paying...and once you have gone through all that...why pay full price for even a new game?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 pm

how would this affect gamefly? would this be the end of them?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:18 pm

I worked at Iggle Video during high school. Still the job I enjoyed most out of any job I've had even now. Only job I ever got fired from as well haha.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the errey i breathe on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:21 pm

JeffDFD wrote:
the errey i breathe wrote:Echoing earlier sentiments, I think this will essentially destroy Gamestop and will really put a damper on any games I buy because I'm not going to spend $60 on a game I end up hating and then get stuck with it. Plus I wouldn't be able to trade games with my brother in law to try out new stuff. I think there is a better way for game companies to get a piece of the used game revenue. Maybe make it so you have to buy a $5 code to activate the game if it's used or something.

Even at $5, I think it will just increase people modifying/hacking the system to play without paying...and once you have gone through all that...why pay full price for even a new game?

To be honest, and I may be way off here, I'd assume that MOST gamers are like myself and buy the games from stores or download them from whichever marketplace (xbox/ps). Yes there are people who exclusively pirate, but they aren't the majority and will still find a way to do so once they are given time with the next-gen consoles so this only hurts honest gamers.

I've actually been sitting here brainstorming ideas and an interesting one popped into my head. What if all of the games were download, no physical copies but when you wanted to trade it in you could do so over xbox live or psn to another user and microsoft and PS could charge x amount for these trades almost like amazon/ebay. So for example, Player A finished assassins creed 3 and decides to sell it for $15. The game would be erased from their storage and available for download by whoever chooses to buy it. However, to even list the game the person would have to buy a credit to do so for $x. So it'd be a digital marketplace where the companies could regulate the buying/selling of used games and get their cut.
the errey i breathe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 pm

skullman80 wrote:I worked at Iggle Video during high school. Still the job I enjoyed most out of any job I've had even now. Only job I ever got fired from as well haha.

What did you get fired for?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 pm

I don't like the idea of a digital marketplace. Even if there were strict standards, things can still happen negatively. I am a firm believer of the old fashioned hard copies.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Rylan wrote:I don't like the idea of a digital marketplace. Even if there were strict standards, things can still happen negatively. I am a firm believer of the old fashioned hard copies.

The day things go 100% digital is the day I stop buying new systems.

I like tangible games.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Rylan wrote:I don't like the idea of a digital marketplace. Even if there were strict standards, things can still happen negatively. I am a firm believer of the old fashioned hard copies.

The day things go 100% digital is the day I stop buying new systems.

I like tangible games.

Especially at the prices these things are going for. IF they drop to sub $20 on the digital market I would consider it. But if they don't, I will just be the future NAN and play classic games.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 pm

newarenanow wrote:
skullman80 wrote:I worked at Iggle Video during high school. Still the job I enjoyed most out of any job I've had even now. Only job I ever got fired from as well haha.

Do tell.....
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:05 pm

I don't like this.

Here is my usual game buying scheme:
Buy a new title I know I will like for the standard $60
Play it, get tired of it, trade it in and spend a few bucks to pick up 2-3 used titles
Eventually trade in those titles to get a new release for very little money (if any at all)
Repeat
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:44 pm

newarenanow wrote:

Giving out free rentals to all my friends and myself. I rented the PS2 out to myself at the time too for free(PS2 had just been released). Just stupid, trivial, high school stupidity. I did all of this under my log in too which is how I got caught. I wasn't very bright back then. Live and learn, they didn't even want to fire me, I just felt bad cause my mom worked their all of her life and I felt it made her look bad. Water under the bridge now though, still friends with my manager from back then and a few of them are even coming to my wedding in April.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 pm

canaan wrote:welcome to the ea sports line of thinking. i wont ever purchase a system that has these draconian restrictions.

this will be the root cause of the steambox rise.

Steambox? Sounds dirty/gross.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 pm

canaan wrote:how would this affect gamefly? would this be the end of them?

It would put the tombstone piledriver on them.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:31 am

This is pretty awful. And about the fully digital games for cheaper, it won't happen. I thought the same thing for school text books. Like digital downloads of them cost the distributer very little compared to printing and shipping hard copies but the digital books were only about $5 cheaper and were a "digital rental" that was for 90-120 days. They figure if you're paying $60 now for a game an they can eliminate the overhead of discs, cases, manuals, and still charge you $60 then that's all gravy to them.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blurryhaze312 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Spangler wrote:
canaan wrote:how would this affect gamefly? would this be the end of them?

It would put the tombstone piledriver on them.

Unless rental companies were given unlocked copies. My biggest problem with this is that a friend will never be able to bring his copy of a game with him to play on my system. The industry has been KILLING in-person multiplayer experience for years now already with the limiting of players in local multiplayer games to 2 people when the online server handles 8-30+ players. Pisses me off.

An equally disturbing note is the potential for an always-on Internet requirement. And if I don't, for whatever reason, have Internet?
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Spangler on Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:06 pm

The Walking Dead video game requires you to sign into PSN. It wasn't even vital to the gameplay. Only thing it did was track the decisions you made, and compared it to everyone else.

I just hate the increasing potential of not being able to play or watch content because an online component isn't working. I prefer to have physical copies where the only barrier to play is the availability of the hardware.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to NHR