Bonsai Trees

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Bonsai Trees

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:51 pm

does anyone have experience with these? i would like to procure one for my office, i feel like it would really increase my energy in here. i was wondering if anyone had recommendations on one that would be low maintenance and no natural light as there are no windows in my office
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Bonsai Trees

Postby count2infinity on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:09 pm

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:09 pm

I was re-gifted one of these in an office grab bag one year. I threw it away.

/csb
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:10 pm

shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Juice on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:10 pm

paging shyster
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:16 pm

I really should have just PMed him
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:16 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Image

Very first thing I thought of
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Juice wrote:paging shyster

I’m not sure how it will do without direct sunlight, but you might want to track down a crassula gollum (do a Google image search on that name). It’s basically a mutant variant of a jade plant. I have one I purchased from http://www.gosucculent.com/, and in five years or so it’s grown to be around a foot high and looks quite tree-like. You can trim it to keep in in shape, and as crassulas grow readily from cuttings, so you can put the "trimmings" in soil and grow more plants. As a succulent it doesn’t need much water or complex care, so it's good for an office plant.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Shyster wrote:

I’m not sure how it will do without direct sunlight, but you might want to track down a crassula gollum (do a Google image search on that name). It’s basically a mutant variant of a jade plant. I have one I purchased from http://www.gosucculent.com/, and in five years or so it’s grown to be around a foot high and looks quite tree-like. You can trim it to keep in in shape, and as crassulas grow readily from cuttings, so you can put the "trimmings" in soil and grow more plants. As a succulent it doesn’t need much water or complex care, so it's good for an office plant.

Don't they call these a Christmas Cactus?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Shyster wrote:

i was looking at this:

which is a Portulacaria afra, a dwarf jade. i just worry that the container it is in is somewhat small and i would have to re-plant. it is 6 years old
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:04 pm

In a very low light location, I'd consider some kind of shade terrarium with mosses, lichens, ferns, etc.

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Juice on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:35 pm

i have some sick bugs from work you can keep as pets on whatever you end up getting
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 pm

I don't know if our work has a policy on it or not, but I wouldn't bring a plant in anyway just as a courtesy to anyone that works around me that may have an allergy or something
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:55 pm

I think you can get bird flu from bonsai tree
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:42 pm

i had one, it never grew a smegging centimeter from its original size and ended up turning brown and dying.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:46 pm

Kaizer wrote:i had one, it never grew a smegging centimeter from its original size and ended up turning brown and dying.

Your chi must suck brah.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:58 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Shyster wrote:I’m not sure how it will do without direct sunlight, but you might want to track down a crassula gollum (do a Google image search on that name). It’s basically a mutant variant of a jade plant. I have one I purchased from http://www.gosucculent.com/, and in five years or so it’s grown to be around a foot high and looks quite tree-like. You can trim it to keep in in shape, and as crassulas grow readily from cuttings, so you can put the "trimmings" in soil and grow more plants. As a succulent it doesn’t need much water or complex care, so it's good for an office plant.

Don't they call these a Christmas Cactus?

I don't think so. Christmas Cactus are plants from South America with long branches that look like leaves joined end-to-end. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlumbergera. Coincidentally, I have one in my office. This is its flowering season, and at the moment it has more than 10 flowers on it.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Shyster wrote:

i was looking at this:

which is a Portulacaria afra, a dwarf jade. i just worry that the container it is in is somewhat small and i would have to re-plant. it is 6 years old

These are everywhere in phoenix. Pretty minimal upkeep.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to NHR